Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2019 12:50:44(UTC)
Goofy

Zimo present mfx protocol now as standard in the new sound decoder MS.
It means it register at once with the system that support mfx protocol.
But the question are if this can been done without problem(s)?
I did sold my CS3 when i did had version 1.3.3.
I plan to get a new system that support also mfx.
The question is what system...

Edited by user 22 April 2019 11:31:44(UTC)  | Reason: correct spell

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2019 13:14:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Since mfx is a protocol with an established standard then any mfx supporting controller should be able to register any decoder that uses mfx.

I would expect Zimo decoders with mfx to register on all Marklin Central Stations and ESU Ecos' and any other controller that supports mfx.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2019 13:37:21(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Lol! So Goofy is planning another Central Station 3? 😂😂
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2019 18:30:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

No, he's waiting for the cs4, because that will be a 'complete' controller ... LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 17 April 2019 19:21:05(UTC)
Goofy

Why?
When Märklin did open mfx protocol for the competitors i´m pretty sure they will start change digital system by fix the hardware to accept mfx protocol too.
H0
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2019 19:23:12(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

No, he's waiting for the cs4, because that will be a 'complete' controller ... LOL

Who did said CS4 will arrived out??
You!??? LOL

H0
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 17 April 2019 19:30:25(UTC)
Goofy

I wonder if Märklin did right by let competitors start produce sound decoder that support mfx protocol?
The question is if there is possible to see new digital system that support mfx protocol too?
H0
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 17 April 2019 19:49:32(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Why?
When Märklin did open mfx protocol for the competitors i´m pretty sure they will start change digital system by fix the hardware to accept mfx protocol too.

Its coming out from a variety of forums in Europe to I'll be damned if I can find an official Märklin press release to confirm it directly, that they opened the mfx format to a great extent to others in the past month or so. This one from h0-modellbahnforum.de

A new "fits mfx" trade logo is made available for use on decoders that pass the Märklin provided test system makers can use to validate their products against the mfx protocol support. A trade group/ working group is set up to facilitate this, so presumably one has to join, sign certain documents and NDAs on what to share and what they can and cannot do, and then gets access to the validation tests and a license to use the "fits mfx" trade mark. The forced limit of 16 functions seems a bit strange as a way to force Märklin decoder differentiation.

Quote:
Märklin öffnet mfx®– Protokoll für Wettbewerber

„Märklin hat mit einem System aus digitalen Steuerungszentralen (Central Station und Mobile Station) sowie dem mfx® – Protokoll eine komfortable Modellbahnsteuerung geschaffen, die es den Kunden erlaubt, Lokomotiven oder Magnetartikel einfachst in Betrieb zu nehmen. Die mit einem mfx®-fähigen Decoder ausgestatten Lokomotiven melden sich selbständig an ihrer Märklin Steuerungszentrale (z.B. Central Station und Mobile Station) an. Alle Lokwerte stehen dem Nutzer schnell und einfach zur Verfügung. Der Spielspaß kann sofort beginnen. Eine Plug-and-Play-Möglichkeit in der Modellbahnbranche, bei der aufwändiges Programmieren oder Einrichten einer Lok der Vergangenheit angehört.

Diese Technologie ist mittlerweile so gut anerkannt, dass es auf dem Modellbahnmarkt zwischenzeitlich erste Produkte mit Decodern gibt, die mittels des mfx®-Protokolls mit den Märklin Steuergeräten kommunizieren sollen.

Damit Verbraucher, die ein solches Gerät mit Fremd-Decoder erwerben, auch durchgängig sichere Fahreigenschaften mit unseren Bediengeräten genießen können, haben wir beschlossen, das Protokoll als „Standard“ für die Modellbahnbranche zu öffnen. Um die systemkompatible Entwicklung zu gewährleisten, wurde ein „mfx®-Arbeitskreis“ gegründet, dem sich die Mitbewerber der Modellbahnbranche anschließen können. Die Arbeitskreisteilnehmer erhalten eine technische Spezifikation, um in Eigenregie mfx®-kompatible Decoder mit bis zu 16 Funktionen zu entwickeln, die mit den komfortablen Märklin Bediengeräten zuverlässig funktionieren.

Die Kompatibilität der Fremd-Decoder wird durch einen von Märklin zur Verfügung gestellten Referenztest überprüft, den die Arbeitskreisteilnehmer selbstständig vornehmen. Haben die Fremd-Decoder diesen mfx®-Kompatibilitätstest bestanden, besteht für den Modelleisenbahner die Sicherheit, dass auch diese Produkte jederzeit zuverlässig mit den Märklin Bediengeräten (Central Station 2 und 3 oder Mobile Station 1 und 2) funktionieren. Der Artikel darf das neu geschaffene Gütezeichen „fits mfx®“ tragen, das dem Kunden die Systemkompatibilität zeigt. Das bedeutet, dass – neben Produkten von Märklin mit dem Original mfx®-Logo nunmehr auch Produkte mit dem neuen „fits mfx®“ Gütezeichen die Sicherheit bieten, die vielfältigen Funktionen und Vorteile der Märklin Bediengeräte uneingeschränkt zu nutzen. Produkte ohne das „fits mfx®“ Zeichen oder mit einem anders aussehenden Logo sind nicht auf diese Qualitätskriterien geprüft. Eine korrekte Funktionalität kann nicht gewährleistet werden.

Durch diese Initiative bietet sich nunmehr den Modellbahnfreunden die Möglichkeit, die mfx®-Technologie beispielsweise in unserem derzeit modernsten Steuergerät der Modellbahnbranche – der Central Station 3 – auch mit Lokomotiven zu nutzen, die mit mfx®-fähigen Fremd-Decodern ausgestattet sind.

Quelle: Eric-Michael Peschel / Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH

The aim appears to be to help sell more CS3 units, by allowing other decoder makers to directly support mfx.

UserPostedImage
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 17 April 2019 22:19:04(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

You!??? LOL

No, it was actually you; first time was 16/1-2017, because you totally misunderstood what you read on Stummi's LOL Flapper LOL

https://www.marklin-user...LL-now-online#post537878

This is what you miss-quoted from: https://www.stummiforum....c.php?p=1640406#p1640406

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Defke  
#10 Posted : 17 April 2019 22:49:05(UTC)
Defke

Belgium   
It does support the mfx from competitors.

However, i found out that marklin seems to accept only 16 functions, where the loc can have feature until 24 functions...

so I then disable mfx and set the loc to dcc, to have the other 8 functions available.

I have seen this several times with esu desoders (m4)
Offline clapcott  
#11 Posted : 17 April 2019 23:25:27(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Goofys question is quite valid.

I would first ensure understanding of three things
- is it Marklins mfx that the competitor is quoting with its registered trademark or a , potentially, different dialect (e.g. M4)
- which version of the protocol is being compared
- is this a controller to device or a device to controller comparison.

The first point is for the lawyers. but if the same term is used it had better be compatible - at least within the version control allowed by the protocol itself

The last point is a trick question.

In relation to the FITSmfx AND the 2nd point, the initial documentation made reference to only 16 functions.

Whereas when Marklin introduced an extension to the mFX protocol to support 32 functions the, unstated, inference was that a 32function decoder was able to register and work in 16 function mode when the controller told it to. i.e. User a DIFFERENT subset of the protocol

Conversely, it was well known within this forum that, prior to the 32function mfx support availability, a multiprotocol deccoder might offer 24 functions in DCC mode but only 16 in mfx mode.
Just because the controller may have been subsequently updated to support 32 function does not put any onus on these decoder manufactures to update their chips to support it.

What I haven't investigated is whether a non Marklin controller can cope with managing the likes of a m83/m84 or Signals that Marklin has produced that use mfx for configuration.

So, if a competitors controller is stated to "support mfx" but does not handle 32 locomotive functions or m83s configuration via mfx ... are they lying ?
Peter
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#12 Posted : 18 April 2019 10:01:13(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
If the loco/decoder is labelled with ”mfx” or ”M4” you can expert it to work with CS, MS and all other controllers with mfx protocol enabled. However only with 16 functions. 32 functions require a Central Station 2/3 and a Märklin branded decoder. As long as you want to run on mfx.

But supposedly the sound locos with more than 16 functions will have DCC protocol available as well, and in that case you would prefer not to use mfx. And a non-Märklin mfx loco would have the most important functions available at F1-F16 anyway, just like a Märklin mfx loco has some functions available for older controllers even if you need a Central Station to have them all.

I think it’s a good development that you can find decoder from different brands and still have the comfort of using mfx. Of course if you desperately need 32 functions you have the choice between a DCC decoder or Märklin mfx at a slightly higher price.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Goofy  
#13 Posted : 18 April 2019 10:36:26(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

You!??? LOL

No, it was actually you; first time was 16/1-2017, because you totally misunderstood what you read on Stummi's

https://www.marklin-user...LL-now-online#post537878

This is what you miss-quoted from: https://www.stummiforum....c.php?p=1640406#p1640406

Per.

Nope i did wrote CS4 "from another forum" by focus to you what somebody did present.
No mistakes here.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 18 April 2019 10:42:44(UTC)
Goofy

What is worth to get a system that is important to have nice software to use protocols?
If i have Märklins CS3 and use competitors mfx decoder, what possible is there for me to equal with Märklins own mfx/mfx+ decoder?
Will Zimo with the new sound decoder support more than 16 functions too?
If you buy a Roco three rail with the sound decoder from Zimo that support mfx protocol, would you been expect same way like Märklins digital locomotive?
Are Zimo decoder with mfx protocol better than Märklins?
H0
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 18 April 2019 10:55:55(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Nope i did wrote CS4 "from another forum" by focus to you what somebody did present.
No mistakes here.

This is what you wrote:

No mega start with CS3.
Did read in stummiforum,that somebody did write an new CS4.

But nobody on Stummi's wrote that a CS4 was on it's way, so yes, you made a big mistake. LOL Flapper LOL

This is the topic from Stummi's, which you didn't understand:

https://www.stummiforum....dc4b7bd0977e25e7a7a0c3e5

Flapper LOL Flapper

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#16 Posted : 18 April 2019 11:51:04(UTC)
Goofy

No mistakes here.

This is what you wrote:

No mega start with CS3.
Did read in stummiforum,that somebody did write an new CS4.

But nobody on Stummi's wrote that a CS4 was on it's way, so yes, you made a big mistake.

This is the topic from Stummi's, which you didn't understand:

https://www.stummiforum....dc4b7bd0977e25e7a7a0c3e5

Per.

Here we go again with a person who leaves the topic and start fight again.
You are boring!

H0
Offline MaerklinLife  
#17 Posted : 18 April 2019 12:12:48(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Mfx is for Märklin Central Station and the Mobile Station. No other manufacturer will make a truly authorized mfx controller.

The Fits Mfx program is for decoders only.

If you want true mfx with all the bells and whistles the CS3 is your only option. Sadly, you have sold yours.

If you plan to go for another controller, you should forget about mfx all together. It will never be satisfying - especially not for you...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 18 April 2019 13:06:10(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Will Zimo with the new sound decoder support more than 16 functions too?

That will depend on if they are signing up to the 'Fits mfx' program or not. If they are signing up to the Marklin program then I would guess there will be a legal requirement that limits them to 16 functions.

If they don't sign up to the program then I suppose they will be like ESU and able to offer more than 16 functions.

Offline Purellum  
#19 Posted : 18 April 2019 13:10:52(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Here we go again with a person who leaves the topic and start fight again.
You are boring!

1: I have not left; I'm still here. LOL

2: I'm not fighting, I'm just presenting the facts. Flapper

3: You may not like the facts, and you may find them boring; but it's still the facts, and only a response to your own gibberish. LOL

You!??? LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline MaerklinLife  
#20 Posted : 18 April 2019 14:32:25(UTC)
MaerklinLife

A friend of mine got one of the Zimos with Fits mfx logo. It registered with 32 functions. My guess is that the 16 functions can be considered supported, but more than that are unsupported and not part of the certification. That doesn't mean that they cannot be available, you just cannot count on them being there or working as intended.

Personally I think this is a strange limitation. Especially when Märklin themselves does not provide decoders with Plux22. Either do that and be serious about it or allow others to officially provide 32 functions with mfx.

The latter would be the best choice. There is no point in limiting this - other than trying to give yourself an advantage. Opportunity lost when you don't provide real options for other plugs than your own...
Offline Minok  
#21 Posted : 18 April 2019 20:49:16(UTC)
Minok

United States   
A friend of mine got one of the Zimos with Fits mfx logo. It registered with 32 functions. My guess is that the 16 functions can be considered supported, but more than that are unsupported and not part of the certification. That doesn't mean that they cannot be available, you just cannot count on them being there or working as intended.

Personally I think this is a strange limitation. Especially when Märklin themselves does not provide decoders with Plux22. Either do that and be serious about it or allow others to officially provide 32 functions with mfx.

The latter would be the best choice. There is no point in limiting this - other than trying to give yourself an advantage. Opportunity lost when you don't provide real options for other plugs than your own...

Those are the dealer samples right? Visiting the Zimo website ( http://www.zimo.at/web2010/index.html ) I"m seeing that the new MS- generation of decoders, a few have been sent as dealers samples, with general availability to come soon ("Die Auslieferung MS450 und MS450P22 hat begonnen (22. Februar 2019), zunächst Fachhändler-Muster; allgemeine Verfügbarkeit von "Dampf-Decodern" in Kürze.")

If indeed the testing/certification program is set up to only validate the 16 function mfx level of conformance (fits mfx), but there isn't a contractual limitation that prevents the supplier from implementing a 32 function mfx capable decoder, that would be ideal.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline MaerklinLife  
#22 Posted : 18 April 2019 22:37:53(UTC)
MaerklinLife

I am not sure if it was a dealer sample or not, according to their website, I guess it must have been.

Anyway, as you say, it is nice if they can include 32 functions regardless of the certification. I think it would be best though if the limitation wasn't there at all. It seems a bit weird. It must be in Märklins interest to make mfx perform at its best - regardless of who makes the decoder. We are right back to "I'll go with DCC, because mfx only supports 16 functions" - which I bet some one will say at some point. The limitation makes mfx seem limited compared to the competition. I just don't get it.
Offline TEEWolf  
#23 Posted : 19 April 2019 01:30:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Zimo present mfx protocol now as standard in the new sound decoder MS.
It means it register at once with the system that support mfx protocol.
But the question are if this can been done without problem(s)?
I did sold my CS3 when i did had version 1.3.3.
I plan to get a new system that support also mfx.
The question is what system...

At the moment I only know one controller system supporting mfx. It is the CS 3 and CS 3 plus from Märklin. But I guess, if you are waiting a couple of weeks than almost everybody of the competitors will offer a controller understanding mfx as well as it does by DCC today.

By opening mfx for everybody Märklin has set up a new common standard in the MRR world. This will have a significant effect on all competitors of Märklin. Also while Märklin is using its mfx format already for much more decoders (eg signals) than only for locos. So a CS 3 today is already a management system too for digital addresses at a complete digital layout.

Märklin writes a note about the opening of the mfx protocol in its actual Märklin Magazine 02-2019 April/May page 25 German edition. At the end they are telling to offer everybody a special testimonial test to achieve compatibility of its product with mfx and this is called FITS-mfx.

Unfortunately I cannot upload the file of this MM 02/19 because the size is too big (ca. 34 MB). Or does anybody know here, as a PDF file can be uploaded with more than the 19 MB maximum?
Offline MaerklinLife  
#24 Posted : 19 April 2019 05:59:31(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately I cannot upload the file of this MM 02/19 because the size is too big (ca. 34 MB)

That would also violate Märklins copyright on the article.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#25 Posted : 19 April 2019 06:04:43(UTC)
MaerklinLife

By opening mfx for everybody Märklin has set up a new common standard in the MRR world.

Definitely not for everybody. Only a select group of manufacturers that participate in a workgroup on the subject. Anyone can tune in, of course, but you have to commit yourself to the workgroup.

Again, this is only for decoders NOT controllers. At the time being, you will not see any controllers with the Fits Mfx logo.
Offline Purellum  
#26 Posted : 19 April 2019 08:28:25(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

At the moment I only know one controller system supporting mfx.

I thought that you knew about the ECoS from ESU LOL ( The "have fun with your ESU etc blabla"-controller Flapper )

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline mbarreto  
#27 Posted : 19 April 2019 10:04:48(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

This is not new now and as much as I understand the product was not released yet. Uhlenbrock announced the mfu-module. The prooduct descritpion
translated by DeepL Translator is:

With the new mfu module, your Intellibox II can also be used with the mfx® vehicles of your plant. With the automatic login, the vehicles are entered into the Intellibox II database with their name and the associated probe function symbols, so that they can be selected and operated immediately with every convenience. Now you can directly reach all specials functions and can control your mfx® vehicles with 128 speed steps. The mfu module is connected to the track output of the Intellibox II, to the rails and to LocoNet.

The link is:
https://www.uhlenbrock.d...ewitems/i005ab42-001.htm!ArcEntryInfo=0004.1.i005ab42

So, it seems Intellibox II with this module together is a system that supports mfx. If it works well I guess a newer version of IB will have mfx locomotive control built in. I don't know how royalties apply in this case, I mean if Uhlenbrock will have to call mfx some other name if they have mfx control built in the controller (like ESU with M4).

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline TEEWolf  
#28 Posted : 19 April 2019 21:46:38(UTC)
TEEWolf

Unfortunately I cannot upload the file of this MM 02/19 because the size is too big (ca. 34 MB)

Do not think so. Because you may download it as PDF-file by yourself here - for free:

Edit - Link removed for copyright reasons /webmaster
Offline Purellum  
#29 Posted : 19 April 2019 22:02:39(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Do not think so. Because you may download it as PDF-file by yourself here - for free:

Edit - Link removed for copyright reasons /webmaster

Instead of thinking you should just for once try to find the facts. Cool

de.*********.com is an illegal site, and downloading from de.*********.com is illegal.

Per.

Cool

Edit: I have removed the name of the illegal download site.

UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#30 Posted : 19 April 2019 22:16:30(UTC)
Webmaster

Uploading a current magazine scan is not ok, and we do not wish to refer to rouge sites for downloads of copyrighted material.

I'm afraid that it seems to me that not everyone is aware of what it takes to run a serious site on the Internet. Crying
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#31 Posted : 20 April 2019 12:16:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
So, it seems Intellibox II with this module together is a system that supports mfx.

No it doesn't.....

I was talking to Peter Clapcott about this very module yesterday. Peter told me that after waiting for two and a half years he has given up waiting for this module to appear and has cancelled his order, it seems it is vapourware.

Peter said that the module doesn't support full two way mfx communication. The module only provides registration of the name and icons applicable to a particular loco - it doesn't even support full loco registration.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline MaerklinLife  
#32 Posted : 20 April 2019 15:20:32(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The module only provides registration of the name and icons applicable to a particular loco - it doesn't even support full loco registration.

Correct. As I wrote earlier: The opening up mfx is ONLY for decoders. You will not get a fully functioning mfx controller from anyone but Märklin. At least not for the time being and near future.
Offline mbarreto  
#33 Posted : 20 April 2019 22:53:37(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Despite copyrights and all licencing limitations ESU has M4.
What is preventing others from doing something similar?
Is it ESU has special rights?
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline TEEWolf  
#34 Posted : 20 April 2019 23:32:08(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
Despite copyrights and all licencing limitations ESU has M4.
What is preventing others from doing something similar?

Now, after opening the mfx format for everbody by Märklin - nothing.

Quote:
Is it ESU has special rights?

ESU shall have developed the mfx format for Märklin and named it for their own usage M4. Others did not have patent rights producing and using the mfx format with their decoders. After Märklin opened mfx for everybody, forget the past. Now the market will be mixed up completly new.
Offline Purellum  
#35 Posted : 21 April 2019 07:45:23(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

There has never been granted a patent on the protocol called M4 by ESU and called MFX by Märklin.

ESU applied for a patent to prevent others to do the same; but was never granted a patent,
and probably never wanted or expected to get the patent.

Only the names "MFX" and "M4" are protected, thus everybody could always have made a similar functionality
in their decoders and controllers - if the were able to and wanted to.

The only thing new is the "FitsMFX" logo and workshop. Cool

Per.

P.S: This was discussed here exactly 12 years ago: https://www.marklin-user...m/posts/t7045-mfx-patent

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Goofy  
#36 Posted : 21 April 2019 11:14:19(UTC)
Goofy

I show here a pdf file from Zimo.
Read it!
The Roco BR 85 do have mfx protocol and have 26 functions!
www.zimo.at/web2010/docu...450P22%20SW%202.0_EN.pdf
H0
Offline Goofy  
#37 Posted : 21 April 2019 11:20:29(UTC)
Goofy

I´m not really sure...but is it possible by use mfx protocol when you have automatic loopback in two rail too?
Then in case a new automatic loopback modul that support mfx protocol introduce?

Edited by user 22 April 2019 10:18:58(UTC)  | Reason: Changed to correct word

H0
Offline Goofy  
#38 Posted : 21 April 2019 11:26:30(UTC)
Goofy

By the way...i did ordered a new CS3.
I was planning to buy Lenz new system SET101 with the new LZV200, but it was not worth to get it since it shows same system like LZV100 and USB Interface together.
Lenz still keep on with the stone-age digital system.
So i return back to the CS3.
H0
Offline Purellum  
#39 Posted : 21 April 2019 11:27:19(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I´m not really sure...but is it possible by use mfx protocol when you have automatic loopback in two rail too?
Then in case a new automatic loopback decoder that support mfx protocol introduce?

I think you mean a reverse loop. Confused

A reverse loop module is basically just relays, controlled by current detection, so I don't think you need a special one for MFX.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#40 Posted : 21 April 2019 11:31:13(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Congratulations ( I think............ LOL )

A few weeks ago the Lenz stone age digital system was the best you could get LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#41 Posted : 21 April 2019 12:04:32(UTC)
Goofy

Congratulations

A few weeks ago the Lenz stone age digital system was the best you could get

Per.

Yes Lenz system LZV100 are good but the new LZV200 has not been changed.
It´s easy to use Lenz system but they have not changed to better system against what competitors present.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#42 Posted : 21 April 2019 12:07:02(UTC)
Goofy

Then in case a new automatic loopback decoder that support mfx protocol introduce?

A reverse loop module is basically just relays, controlled by current detection, so I don't think you need a special one for MFX.

Per.

Automatic loopback is reverse loop.
There is reverse loop digital modul but support and allows only DCC protocol.
I don´t think it accept mfx protocol.

Edited by user 22 April 2019 10:20:26(UTC)  | Reason: Changed to correct word

H0
Offline David Dewar  
#43 Posted : 21 April 2019 12:41:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I enjoy reading these threads with all the usual suspects joining in. I just run Marklin (mainly) locos with my CS3 and Marklin decoders and have no idea about all the many other controllers out there from firms that make nothing else I would buy anyway. ESU appear to be selling a few locos etc which is good to see and if they can do three rail track then Marklin will have some decent competition which I would look at.

How long will Goofys new CS3 last would be a good competition for the site (just kidding Goofy and hope you enjoy the new controller)
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kiwiAlan  
#44 Posted : 21 April 2019 13:30:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Cool

Per.

Cool

Marklin supply mfx decoders in Trix and LGB locos, so yes, it works for 2-rail as well.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#45 Posted : 21 April 2019 13:35:20(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I show here a pdf file from Zimo.
Read it!
The Roco BR 85 do have mfx protocol and have 26 functions!
www.zimo.at/web2010/docu...450P22%20SW%202.0_EN.pdf

It is interesting looking through that document.

On the first page it shows three revisions in 2018, the first release being almost exactly a year ago.

They have obviously mapped out various plans for upgrades to features as well, although the details aren't filled in for many of them. It seems they have only released these decoders to market with version 2 software release.

But it is the same problem, still not a 'complete system', it still needs upgrades ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Offline Purellum  
#46 Posted : 21 April 2019 13:44:18(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

OK, new to me.

There is reverse loop digital decoder but support and allows only DCC protocol.

It would help if you told us which decoder / module you are thinking of, and maybe why you want to use just this,
instead of the many others that works both on analog and every digital system Confused

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#47 Posted : 21 April 2019 13:46:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Cool

OK, new to me.

It would help if you told us which decoder / module you are thinking of, and maybe why you want to use just this,
instead of the many others that works both on analog and every digital system Confused

Per.

Cool

All the reverse loop auto-switches I am aware of work on the basis of detecting a short and can be used on digital or DC systems. Having a DCC or mfx protocol has nothing to do with how the switch works.

Offline MaerklinLife  
#48 Posted : 21 April 2019 13:50:04(UTC)
MaerklinLife

What a load of rubbish. An automatic reverse module does not care at all about the protocol at used. It only cares about either a short circuit detection or (as is the case of the Trix reverse module) feedback detection from the internal sensor.

It will work with what ever digital system you throw at it.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#49 Posted : 21 April 2019 13:52:05(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
All the reverse loop auto-switches I am aware of work on the basis of detecting a short and can be used on digital or DC systems. Having a DCC or mfx protocol has nothing to do with how the switch works.

Correct. One just has to be aware that the culprit with regards to "working with DC" is that the module changes the polarity of the entire layout, and NOT the loop itself.

If it changed the polarity of the loop itself, the train would go in reverse.

Reverse modules on DC is not good for much, perhaps a tram going back and forth. But not for a busy layout.

Reverse modules works best with digital operation - and the Trix module can work without short detection using a built-in feedback sensor. It can even flip the turnout at the entrance of the loop for convenience.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#50 Posted : 21 April 2019 13:55:54(UTC)
MaerklinLife

By the way...i did ordered a new CS3. So i return back to the CS3.

Great. I will start taking bets on when you leave it again...