Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harryv40  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2019 20:36:58(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi I wonder if someone could give me some advice.
I purchased a Marklin v80 loco from a start set 29711 from B W Bahn and it has stopped working with my m.s.

When I ask the m.s. to find the loco, the lights flash on and off, but it’s not found and does not work.

I try another ms, but still no luck, it must be something stupid but I am lost.

I would be happy for any guidance or advice.

Many thanks in advance

Harry
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2019 22:22:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Harry, have you tried looking for it on the loco list? It could be that the MS doesn't find it because it's already registered on the MS.

You could try doing a default reset on your MS and then trying again.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2019 23:28:10(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
I purchased a Marklin v80 loco from a start set 29711 from B W Bahn and it has stopped working with my m.s.

When I ask the m.s. to find the loco, the lights flash on and off, but it’s not found and does not work.

Many thanks in advance

Harry

Did the loco work once? Your MS 2 (that is what I guess you got, because a m.s. is not available from Märklin) cannot search and find your V80 from the starter set 29711 automatically. You must program your MS 2 by yourself. As Märklin's website tells the V80 has only a fx decoder on board. But for an automatic registration you need a mfx decoder.

If you have the latest software version 2.7 on your MS 2, than you can look inside the MS 2 database if the V80 is listed. Otherwise you shall update your MS 2 by a dealer or friend who has a CS 2 minimum. If you find the V80 in the database you can take this data for programming. Otherwise you have to program your loco manually. The standard digital address set up by the manufacturer for this loco is 24.

P.S.: Ask the owner of the CS2/3, if it is the latest software version on it, otherwise you may not get the an update for the 2.7 version. Unfortunately I made this experience myself.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Harryv40  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2019 23:44:58(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Harry, have you tried looking for it on the loco list? It could be that the MS doesn't find it because it's already registered on the MS.

You could try doing a default reset on your MS and then trying again.

Hi Ray
I did a reset of ms2 about a week, to clear out the stored locos and start again. It is on the database of the ms2 but it still does not run. It did, but not now. The one thing that confuses me is it when you ask the ms2 to find it, the lights flash on and off.

I will try another reset and see what happens.

Many thanks
Harry

Offline Harryv40  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2019 23:53:46(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Many thanks in advance

Harry

Did the loco work once? Your MS 2 (that is what I guess you got, because a m.s. is not available from Märklin) cannot search and find your V80 from the starter set 29711 automatically. You must program your MS 2 by yourself. As Märklin's website tells the V80 has only a fx decoder on board. But for an automatic registration you need a mfx decoder.

If you have the latest software version 2.7 on your MS 2, than you can look inside the MS 2 database if the V80 is listed. Otherwise you shall update your MS 2 by a dealer or friend who has a CS 2 minimum. If you find the V80 in the database you can take this data for programming. Otherwise you have to program your loco manually. The standard digital address set up by the manufacturer for this loco is 24.

P.S.: Ask the owner of the CS2/3, if it is the latest software version on it, otherwise you may not get the an update for the 2.7 version. Unfortunately I made this experience myself.

Hi TEEwolf
The software on my MS2 is 2.5. Also the loco is shown on the database, I have added to the roster, but still the loco will not move.
It was operating ok, it started going wrong a few days ago, it would freeze, I would then run another loco and it then operated ok.

I have e mail the supplier in Germany and also e mail Gaugemaster in the uk, I think they are the uk dealer for Marklin.

I worry it’s a faulty chip and I have made the issue worse by trying to reset it.

Thanks for the advice

Regards
Harry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2019 08:30:49(UTC)
H0

Hi all!
As Märklin's website tells the V80 has only a fx decoder on board. But for an automatic registration you need a mfx decoder.
The MS2 has that wonderful "Find loco" feature that works with MM and DCC. That's what Harry is trying.

Alas the "Find loco" fails rather reliably for modern locos with LED lights like the V 80 discussed here.

My approach would be: register the loco from the database or manually (using the last known address). If it does not work, then change the address while only that loco is on the track. This should synchronise addresses between loco and MS2. If it still does not work, then we'll need another plan.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Harryv40  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2019 21:04:24(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all!
As Märklin's website tells the V80 has only a fx decoder on board. But for an automatic registration you need a mfx decoder.
The MS2 has that wonderful "Find loco" feature that works with MM and DCC. That's what Harry is trying.

Alas the "Find loco" fails rather reliably for modern locos with LED lights like the V 80 discussed here.

My approach would be: register the loco from the database or manually (using the last known address). If it does not work, then change the address while only that loco is on the track. This should synchronise addresses between loco and MS2. If it still does not work, then we'll need another plan.

Hi
Thank you for the advice, I will try it tomorrow and see what happens, I expect it something I have done with out thinking about it.

I only hope it's not a chip issue or that will be expensive.

Many thanks
Harry
Offline Harryv40  
#8 Posted : 11 April 2019 23:05:17(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all!

Hi
Thank you for the advice, I will try it tomorrow and see what happens, I expect it something I have done with out thinking about it.

I only hope it's not a chip issue or that will be expensive.

Many thanks
Harry

Hi Everyone
Well a latest update!
It's working! By using a combination of all the ideas you sent me it's working!
I deleted all the loco stored on my two mobile station 2s and start again. I then installed the loco manually as was suggested. At first this failed.
However I had a Marklin 29000 set and set it up as a stand alone, this got the loco responding. I then moved on to my layout and again although the lights worked the loco did not move, so I then did another complete emptying of the loco databases and hey presto it's working!

I will try it again tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed!
Thank you once again for all your help and advice, I never expected to see it running again!

Kind Regards to all

Harry
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Harryv40