Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2019 18:34:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have quite a few Maerklin models. Most of them have the newer packaging with the plastic liner and cradle. On some of the models from the 1990s, the plastic is yellowing and on many of the older models, the hinge of the cradle packaging has turned white and is starting to weaken.

Around 2002-2003, Maerklin stopped selling replacement boxes. At the same time, they also stopped selling the cradles individually. Since then, it is possible to once again order generic boxes (slider and tray), but the cradles are not available as replacement parts.

In an ideal world, these parts would be available so that we could replace the packaging once the cradle gets damaged from repeated opening/closing.
The other possibility would be for Maerklin to come up with a design that did not involve hinged parts, where the top part of the cradle could be put into place without having to fold or bend the plastic.

I thought that the recent Roco design with the foam cradle with top and bottom plastic trays was clever. It seems to hold the model in place quite well.
I wonder if some kind of cradle where you would insert the locomotive (sideways) and then place a plastic cover on top would be a solution. It would have to be more rigid than the ones used to secure cars and coaches in some packaging.

What would you think would be the best way to allow modellers to keep their boxes in top shape, protecting the models for a long time?

Regards

Mike C
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2019 18:53:23(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It's a very good point, Mike. That design of hinged plastic cradle does tend to break with repeated opening and closing. On some of mine I have had to use sticky tape to hold bits of the cradle together when they have broken apart completely.

Some time ago I decided that the best way to keep the boxes intact, and at the same time to minimise damage to the loco, was to keep the locos separately from their boxes. I keep them in shallow drawers under the layout where they are easier to access. The only downside to this method is that the locos do get dirty over time, and I have to occasionally give the tops a wipe to get rid of the dust. I plan to find a way of making the drawers more "dust-proof" to eliminate this problem.

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2019 19:25:12(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
It's a very good point, Mike. That design of hinged plastic cradle does tend to break with repeated opening and closing. On some of mine I have had to use sticky tape to hold bits of the cradle together when they have broken apart completely.

Some time ago I decided that the best way to keep the boxes intact, and at the same time to minimise damage to the loco, was to keep the locos separately from their boxes. I keep them in shallow drawers under the layout where they are easier to access. The only downside to this method is that the locos do get dirty over time, and I have to occasionally give the tops a wipe to get rid of the dust. I plan to find a way of making the drawers more "dust-proof" to eliminate this problem.

UserPostedImage

I have made a box using 5mm foam core. It isn't that which I am showing but the fact that I have a lid on the box. This stops dust entering

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2019 19:31:43(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
What I really like is TrainSafe Vision and Travel, but the price makes it not usable except for some special locomotives or trains. At 30% of its current price was ok :)

TrainSafe Travel can work like a box. I just don't know if the foam will keep its proporties with time when in presence of agressive chemicals, like for example oil (something that may happen).

Edit:
There are also the Linton boxes. Linton also sells the foam for drawers. Linton is not cheap, but it is cheaper per locomotive than TrainSafe.

http://www.linton.de/midi-trainbox/

Regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline mbarreto  
#5 Posted : 09 April 2019 11:00:09(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
This is how I store my Ep. I steamers. The C track width is such that the locos don't touch by side.

prateleira.JPG

There are doors not shown in the photo that prevent most of the dust.
One way to expand this system is to have shelves with about 12 cm spacing in vertical.

The best was to have Train-Safe Vision instead of just C track. Maybe I will evolute to something in between. First step maybe to install vertical "walls"
between the tracks/locomotives using architect cardboard or wood.

This works by pulling the track with the locomotive in it and after it, gently attach the track with the locomotive to the track where the locomotive will be running.

I try to never touch the locmotive with my hands.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.