Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rg1911  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2019 21:57:04(UTC)
rg1911

United States   
I'm working on resurrecting Marklin equipment that was purchased in 1956 the first time the family was stationed in Germany (Karlsruhe).

I will have only a small space (4 ft x8 ft / 122cm x 244cm) but I want to run two loops and I think I will need more track than I have. What I have, of course, is all M track. The question then is:

- Should I use the M track I have and get K or C track (and the adapters) to supplement the M track, or

- Should I convert everything to either K or C track?

If I mix track, I will have to do something about the different color schemes that are used for the road base. If I go with all one style of track, I may run out of money (track seems to be quite expensive).

Structures and scenery will not represent a specific location, but will suggest what I grew up with in Germany and Switzerland.

On a separate note, I have five engines -- four steam and one electric -- that I need to get running smoothly again. (Long story; equipment was passed to my brother (RIP) and a certain amount of damage took place; I inherited the equipment back from him.) I have cleaned and lubricated what I can, but it looks like a couple are going to need more help than I am qualified to provide. Are there any good repair shops in the U.S.?

Thank you,
Richard
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2019 22:14:12(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: rg1911 Go to Quoted Post
I'm working on resurrecting Marklin equipment that was purchased in 1956 the first time the family was stationed in Germany (Karlsruhe).

I will have only a small space (4 ft x8 ft / 122cm x 244cm) but I want to run two loops and I think I will need more track than I have. What I have, of course, is all M track. The question then is:

- Should I use the M track I have and get K or C track (and the adapters) to supplement the M track, or

- Should I convert everything to either K or C track?

If I mix track, I will have to do something about the different color schemes that are used for the road base. If I go with all one style of track, I may run out of money (track seems to be quite expensive).

Structures and scenery will not represent a specific location, but will suggest what I grew up with in Germany and Switzerland.

On a separate note, I have five engines -- four steam and one electric -- that I need to get running smoothly again. (Long story; equipment was passed to my brother (RIP) and a certain amount of damage took place; I inherited the equipment back from him.) I have cleaned and lubricated what I can, but it looks like a couple are going to need more help than I am qualified to provide. Are there any good repair shops in the U.S.?

Thank you,
Richard

Do you want to change to full digital or stay in the analogue sector?

I have a similar "problem". I restarted with a start-up set with C-tracks fully digital. Just makes more fun. I use for my running loops C-track and for my storage train side yard my old M-track. Märklin offers a special adapter track from M to C and vv. Working perfectly.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/24951/

There I am getting older my eyes are not as good as when I was young boy. I really have problems to connect my old M-tracks. But with the C-tracks I do it blind. Connecting K-tracks is like M-track connections. Using M-tracks digitally is no problem, only at the interference-suppression capacitor at the power feeding M-track has to be removed.
Offline rg1911  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2019 22:47:44(UTC)
rg1911

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Do you want to change to full digital or stay in the analogue sector?

I have a similar "problem". I restarted with a start-up set with C-tracks fully digital. Just makes more fun. I use for my running loops C-track and for my storage train side yard my old M-track. Märklin offers a special adapter track from M to C and vv. Working perfectly.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/24951/

There I am getting older my eyes are not as good as when I was young boy. I really have problems to connect my old M-tracks. But with the C-tracks I do it blind. Connecting K-tracks is like M-track connections. Using M-tracks digitally is no problem, only at the interference-suppression capacitor at the power feeding M-track has to be removed.

I completely understand about aging eyes.

Although none of my engines have enough space to try to insert digital equipment, I think I would like to allow for the possible use of digital in the future.

It sounds as though you are recommending that I use the M track for storage track, and use C track for the main layout. This is going to be expensive.

I also suspect that the couplers on all my cars have changed over the years, so that if I buy new rolling stock, couplers will need to be replaced.

I think if Marklin made N-scale equipment, I would just go with it so everything would work together. (And I wonder why Marklin does not make N-scale.)

Many thanks,
Richard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rg1911
Offline SteamNut  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2019 23:33:22(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Money wise M track is cheaper and plentiful on eBay. C track is easier to use and offers better running characteristics. If you are making a "permanent" layout that you do not repeatedly take apart and reassemble M track will not be too bad. Since you have some give it a try. Digital will work with either system. The new couplers will work with the old style but you have to fiddle around to join and uncouple them, sometimes for me they work ok. Helmut's Hobby does excellent work here in the US and will convert your locomotives to digital and has very good reviews on the forum. Bear in mind new digital will run on analog but not with all the features such as sound. All the best - Fred
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2019 00:12:04(UTC)
TEEWolf

Smile

Quote:
Although none of my engines have enough space to try to insert digital equipment, I think I would like to allow for the possible use of digital in the future.

Well my railway panel is 2,60 m * 1,30 m. In this forum are a lot of people getting even smaler panels by much more rolling stock as I got. I see this size not as problem. It can be organized.

Quote:
It sounds as though you are recommending that I use the M track for storage track, and use C track for the main layout. This is going to be expensive.

Oh no, it was not a recommendation. I just wanted to tell you, what I did. You can stay fully with M-tracks and analogue or M-tracks and digital. I only want to show the flexibility of the railroad H0 system by Märklin. I am very pleased with Märklins AC H0 system.

Quote:
I also suspect that the couplers on all my cars have changed over the years, so that if I buy new rolling stock, couplers will need to be replaced.

As long as they are Märklin couplers I do not see a problem. Anyway couplers can be changed. It is easier as to install a decoder.

Quote:
I think if Marklin made N-scale equipment, I would just go with it so everything would work together. (And I wonder why Marklin does not make N-scale.)

Oh yes Märklin does N-scale offer by its brand "Minitrix". But except Märklin these are all 2-lines DC railroads. Starting in N-scale you have to start completly new.

https://www.trix.de/en/products/products/

I even thought about Z-scale

https://en.wikipedia.org...ansport_modelling_scales

But for me already Minitrix was too small. So I stayed with H0.

Why don't you restart by what you got? If you are used to H0 again, the development comes all alone.

Best regards

TEEWolf

Offline rg1911  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2019 04:12:29(UTC)
rg1911

United States   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
Money wise M track is cheaper and plentiful on eBay. C track is easier to use and offers better running characteristics. If you are making a "permanent" layout that you do not repeatedly take apart and reassemble M track will not be too bad. Since you have some give it a try. Digital will work with either system. The new couplers will work with the old style but you have to fiddle around to join and uncouple them, sometimes for me they work ok. Helmut's Hobby does excellent work here in the US and will convert your locomotives to digital and has very good reviews on the forum. Bear in mind new digital will run on analog but not with all the features such as sound. All the best - Fred

Fred,

Thank you. I'll look up Helmut's Hobby. There is a repair person at Caboose Hobbies down in Denver, CO. If he can get a couple of the troublesome engines to work smoothly again, I will give serious thought to having them converted to DCC.

I confess that the better running characteristics of C track makes it attractive. I've noticed that on a test track I made, the engines that I got to run often would hesitate at certain spots on the track, even though I was careful about making the contacts firmly. Possibly the difference between 1956 and now.

I do plan to make the layout pretty permanent, but probably will want to make some changes as time goes on.

Cheers,
Richard

Offline rg1911  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2019 04:28:55(UTC)
rg1911

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Smile

Well my railway panel is 2,60 m * 1,30 m. In this forum are a lot of people getting even smaler panels by much more rolling stock as I got. I see this size not as problem. It can be organized.

Oh no, it was not a recommendation. I just wanted to tell you, what I did. You can stay fully with M-tracks and analogue or M-tracks and digital. I only want to show the flexibility of the railroad H0 system by Märklin. I am very pleased with Märklins AC H0 system.

As long as they are Märklin couplers I do not see a problem. Anyway couplers can be changed. It is easier as to install a decoder.

Oh yes Märklin does N-scale offer by its brand "Minitrix". But except Märklin these are all 2-lines DC railroads. Starting in N-scale you have to start completly new.

https://www.trix.de/en/products/products/

But for me already Minitrix was too small. So I stayed with H0.

Why don't you restart by what you got? If you are used to H0 again, the development comes all alone.

Best regards

TEEWolf

TEEWolf,

I'm getting old. I just now remembered what the TEE is.

That's right; I had forgotten that Minitrix is owned by Märklin. But, as you said, I would need to start over completely, and I really do like the 3-rail system.

I think I will continue with what I have (once some repairs have been made). None of the buildings made it back from my brother, so I will need all new ones. I wonder if there are models of the Stuttgart Hbf, the station at Stuttgart-Vaihingen and perhaps the one at Fribourg, Switzerland. Although the last time I was there, that station had grown so much since 1969 that I did not recognize it.

Cheers,
Richard

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rg1911
Offline mikemasey  
#8 Posted : 12 May 2019 03:31:55(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
The inspiration.jpg
G-Day rg,

I have just recently completed this "nostalgic" look Marklin layout on a board 1m x 2m(3'x6').
I came across it on the Scarm site. It has of course been personalized to fit on the board.
All is M track that I have used since a boy in the 70's and added to over the years via shows and the internet. As I have made many layouts it has gone up and down and off course become shall we say play worn but still keeps going strong and I think adds to the Nostalgic feel!
I have all Angolouge and its just fine.

I just love the M track and the way my locos Rattle along so you wouldn't be able to hear any chuff chuff sound anyway....

mike.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mikemasey
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 12 May 2019 04:02:54(UTC)
TEEWolf

TEEWolf,

I'm getting old. I just now remembered what the TEE is.

That's right; I had forgotten that Minitrix is owned by Märklin. But, as you said, I would need to start over completely, and I really do like the 3-rail system.

I think I will continue with what I have (once some repairs have been made). None of the buildings made it back from my brother, so I will need all new ones. I wonder if there are models of the Stuttgart Hbf, the station at Stuttgart-Vaihingen and perhaps the one at Fribourg, Switzerland. Although the last time I was there, that station had grown so much since 1969 that I did not recognize it.

Cheers,
Richard

Hello Richard,

how is it going with your buildings? Just want to tell you the central station in Stuttgart is rebuild at the moment. Next time, if you come again to see the station, it will be gone, BigGrin but still there. The station is complety build new, twisted by 90° and taken under the earth. From the new station you only will see a few glass domes in the park. The station is changed from a railhead one to a drive through station.

http://www.bahnprojekt-stuttgart-ulm.de/en/

Cheers

Wolfgang

Offline Harryv40  
#10 Posted : 14 May 2019 09:50:10(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Richard
I am Harry from the New Forest in the UK.

Just an outline of my modelling history, has a young boy for me it was Triang/Hornby, this was then stored for over twenty years. I then decided to sell it and the Minic Motorway to a dealer and got ripped off.

I moved on to N Gauge, but I had problems of poor running and very small locos etc, I sold this and got into Marklin HO.

I currently have a small layout preformed board just over 2m x 1m, with two loops plus sidings, tunnels etc, all laid with C track. My fleet is a mixture of Marklin, Roco,HAG and Piko, total twenty five locos all digital.

I would recommend you think about several issues, firstly what part of modelling do you like, the construction of the layout, the scenery or like me just watching the locos run round. Also what Era and country do you like best? America or Europe?

I would suggest you consider digital, it is however, very difficult now to obtain new three rail locos without them being fitted with a chip. Some of the delta locos are still around and they will operate on both digital and analog. It really about running qualities, some are better with digital and some better with analog, age type etc, of course secondhand analog locos are available on the internet at very reasonable prices.

It maybe best, if you are going three rail, to obtain a Marklin Starter Set, it will give you a mobile station controller, a digital loco, wagons and track, in fact all you need to get started.

Also remember that the forum members are here to help you.

Anyway good luck

Regards
Harry