Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2019 14:16:41(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I've been trying to read up on this but as Marklin signals are eye-wateringly expensive, I was looking at alternatives.

Three questions:

1) How well does Marklin CS3 work with dumb signals such as Viesmann and what decoder do I use?? As far as I can gather, it works.
Can/should I use a Marklin M84 and if so, can it do multiple aspect signals? Downside is lack of fading, I would think.
Alternatively, Viesmann 52292, can do fading, and controls two signals, I believe?

Can these cheaper setups link distant and block signals? Will the CS3 just know what to do?

2) If I decided to go for Danish signals, it gets complicated. Not only do distant signals flash, but there are branch signals and other funky stuff. Would it be possible to get something like that to work? Actually, how do the Marklin many-aspect signals work? Can they be sensibly automated with the CS3?

3) I intend to use Rocrail. I assume that can do all sorts of funky stuff with signals?

Thanks, it's really difficult to know what to do before splashing out on signals and modules.

P.S. Example of Danish signal:

https://www.modeltog.dk/...u5bsmfiuinhb3msng21oukl0

Can Rocrail operate that?
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2019 15:23:54(UTC)
MaerklinLife

If you want to operate Danish signals you will need a decoder that supports the Danish signal aspects like QDecoder.

Theoretically you could also program the aspects yourself using events. A full featured decoder is a good option though.

If you intend to use Rocrail the signal features of the CS3 is irrelevant.
Offline morsing  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2019 15:48:01(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
If you want to operate Danish signals you will need a decoder that supports the Danish signal aspects like QDecoder.

Theoretically you could also program the aspects yourself using events. A full featured decoder is a good option though.

If you intend to use Rocrail the signal features of the CS3 is irrelevant.

Thanks, will have a look at Qdecoder.

I still want to run trains manually, will Rocrail still just control the signals dependant on block occupancy?

P.S. If I ditch the Danish signal idea and just run Viessman and use 52292 modules, is that straight forward to setup with both CS3 and Rocrail?
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail