Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mike R  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2019 00:21:28(UTC)
Mike R

United States   
I am setting up a large marklin digital layout and will be using multiple 66361 transformers to provide power to separate loops that will be connected via switch tracks so that engines can move from one loop to another. I know that blocks must be installed on the center rail so that one power supply does not come in contact with another. If my MS2 is connected to 1 of the transformers, will I still be able to control the engine when it crosses a block onto track powered by another of the transformers?
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2019 01:51:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Mike R Go to Quoted Post
I am setting up a large marklin digital layout and will be using multiple 66361 transformers to provide power to separate loops that will be connected via switch tracks so that engines can move from one loop to another. I know that blocks must be installed on the center rail so that one power supply does not come in contact with another. If my MS2 is connected to 1 of the transformers, will I still be able to control the engine when it crosses a block onto track powered by another of the transformers?

I never would connect a MS 2 to a transformer, except you want to buy a new one.Smile

Read what Märklin is saying:

https://www.maerklin.de/...itched-mode-power-packs/

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/technical-information/

https://www.maerklin.de/...rische_Sicherheit_en.pdf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Johnvr  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2019 07:18:07(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   

Hello Mike,
Good to see that you are setting up a layout again.

I believe that each time that you digital loco moves from one block to another block, you must un-plug your MS2 from the transformer where it was operating, and walk with it to the new block to plug it into the transformer there. You will have to do this each time your loco moves to a new block. That's the only way in which you will be able to operate your trains throughout all blocks on the layout.

RegardsBigGrin
John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Mike R  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2019 07:51:33(UTC)
Mike R

United States   
John,

I have multiple MS2s, so I guess I would have to program each loco onto each MS2 and then it will be able to pass from one block to another with no interruption in travel provided that the speed setting is consistent between MS2's. Does that make sense?

Regards, Mike
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2019 10:56:04(UTC)
H0

Does that make sense?
Do not ask serious questions on April 1st. Wink

Do not connect the MS2 to a transformer. Connect the MS2 to a trackbox and connect the trackbox to a transformer or a power supply.

Do not buy excessive power supplies when you only need additional feeder tracks.
If you need more power than a single trackbox can supply, consider adding boosters to your layout.

Transformers won't do any good on their own.
Transformers with additional trackboxes will make life complicated. OK, life is always complicated.
Transformers with boosters but without trackboxes will provide more power while things remain rather simple.

I have multiple MS2s, so I guess I would have to program each loco onto each MS2 and then it will be able to pass from one block to another with no interruption in travel provided that the speed setting is consistent between MS2's.
This will not work with mfx.
mfx always makes things complicated. Simplify your life and disable mfx - with MM or DCC things will work as described.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Johnvr  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2019 14:18:45(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post

Hello Mike,
Good to see that you are setting up a layout again.

I believe that each time that you digital loco moves from one block to another block, you must un-plug your MS2 from the transformer where it was operating, and walk with it to the new block to plug it into the transformer there. You will have to do this each time your loco moves to a new block. That's the only way in which you will be able to operate your trains throughout all blocks on the layout.

RegardsBigGrin
John

Hello Mike,

It is now past 12 o'clock on 1st April here.
Please ignore my earlier response.

RegardsBigGrin
John

Offline Mike R  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2019 15:56:20(UTC)
Mike R

United States   
Sorry I wasnt clear. I know I need a track box between the power supply and the ms2. There is no way to connect the ms2 directly to a power supply that I am aware of. Again, I will need additional power, not feeder tracks since I'll be running up to 10 engines simultaneously. If I add boosters, I'll still need to add blocks to separate the power supplies, correct? And once an engine crosses a block, will 1 ms2 still be in control of the engine? I guess I'm asking how a digital engine gets its instructions from the ms2? Is it through the center rail, outside rails, or wirelessly?

Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2019 16:02:14(UTC)
H0

Locos receive their commands from the track using centre rail and outside rails - electricity needs two poles.

Boosters replicate the commands from a single controller. More power, one controller. Insulation needed between two power suppliers, but usually there is no need to have centre-rail rockers.

Adding multiple controllers also gives you more power, but passing locos from one controller to another makes things complicated. Insulation needed and centre-rail rockers needed.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 01 April 2019 20:44:29(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

mfx always makes things complicated. Simplify your life and disable mfx - with MM or DCC things will work as described.

LOL LOL LOL Yes, today is April 1st, 2019!LOL LOL LOL
The day of Nonsense!Flapper
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 01 April 2019 20:48:08(UTC)
TEEWolf

Sorry I wasnt clear. I know I need a track box between the power supply and the ms2. There is no way to connect the ms2 directly to a power supply that I am aware of. Again, I will need additional power, not feeder tracks since I'll be running up to 10 engines simultaneously. If I add boosters, I'll still need to add blocks to separate the power supplies, correct? And once an engine crosses a block, will 1 ms2 still be in control of the engine? I guess I'm asking how a digital engine gets its instructions from the ms2? Is it through the center rail, outside rails, or wirelessly?

Today is 1st of April 2019. Guess you shall try a serious question tomorrow again.
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 02 April 2019 08:44:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
LOL LOL LOL Yes, today is April 1st, 2019!LOL LOL LOL
The day of Nonsense!Flapper
If you say so.

Today is April 2nd. And mfx is still disabled in my Central Station. Disabling mfx solves many issues that are caused by mfx.
I never heard about a large layout with more than one controller (Tischbahning, Teppichbahning, ...) that used mfx. That would be nonsense.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage