Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahner  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2019 04:46:04(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Review of the MBZ Bahnhof 'Fürth am Berg' laser-cut kit (Z scale, Nr. 16056):

MBZ Furth am Berg EuroRail Pic.jpg

This was one of those kits that I saw a few years ago and knew I'd build someday. Now that I have a Z scale layout in the works, the time was right to go for it.

I left this kit for last since I expected it to be the most difficult to build. The parts were laser-cut just fine, but the assembly was a bit of a long-winded affair. Might just have been me, but I had some difficulty interpreting the exploded view instructions and had to take a few of the previously built sections apart to redo as I went along. Also had to modify the windows slightly to get them to fit correctly (vertical space issues if the flooring/ceiling isn't spaced 'just right'). And since there are no instructions on how to make the chimneys, I took my best guess based on the pieces left over after the main assembly (still need to create some flashing around the base of the two chimneys):

MBZ Furth am Berg Assemby.jpg

After some mumbling and grumbling, I managed to finally get it all together decently. One thing of importance is to be very careful with the laser-etched lower stonewall and roofing edges as these details are very easily dislodged.

While I like the manufacturer's color scheme of beige walls and reddish roof, I opted for my own:

MBZ 16056 Train Station Furth am Berg_20190325.jpg

MBZ 16056 Train Station Furth am Berg 3_20190325_.jpg

Size: 83 mm x 47 mm x 55 mm (3-1/4" x 1-7/8" x 2-5/32")

Despite some of the hiccups along the way, the finished product was well worth the effort as this will be the prominent train station for my layout.

'Bonus': MBZ Lokwerkstatt (Z scale, NR. 16021)

MBZ 16023 Loco Repiar Shed_20190325.jpg

The nice thing about these MBZ kits is that they come in sizes ranging from Z to H0. So while my experience is building these in Z, the kit is structurally the same in the other scale versions.

This will likely be my last review of a kit for a while. My goal here was not only to build a few realistic looking buildings, but also to gain experience by building an assortment of these before I started scratch building all my remaining structures. I hope these reviews are helpful to those interested in these quite realistic kits.

Bahner (Ralph)

Edited by user 31 March 2019 04:31:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bahner