Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2019 23:15:14(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So I want some specific branded cars (whether they were branded as such in reality or not), and the result is I really need to just make my own.
The theory:

1) start with a nice new, cheap freight car (box car, tank car, etc) that is mainly a base color, use LUX LDE-90 and a cotton swab to gently remove any tampon prints that may be in strategic areas and generally prep the car (touch up etc).

2) get custom decals printed of the logos I want to use (BBC, Eichbaum, BASF, etc). (UV Decals from www.modellbahndecals.de )

3) Apply the custom decals on the cars

4) Apply any necessary weathering and then seal that and the decals under some matte clear laquer/poly.

So the question in principle is: does that sound like it would work well : ie the laquer/poly coating over the decals; will it hold up?

What are others experiences with modifying freight cars to their own need?

I'll be putting custom numbers on a BR 01, but thats an easier/smaller task.

Quick mockups of what I had in mind...

Capture.PNG
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2019 03:47:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Maerklin already has some nice BASF models:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/...705-TOP-HB/362587215426?
47561 (Set of multiple cars)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/...P-OVP-SE10/382824157441?

There are companies like AKU in Switzerland. They had some BBC Abfall cars at one time: http://www.aku-modelle.ch/neu/neuausge.htm
I think that they might also do individual stamp printing. There is also TL-decals that make some European decals in HO scale.
You may be able to order blank cars from Maerklin, which would save you the preparation time.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2019 04:28:54(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
So I want some specific branded cars ..

So the question in principle is: does that sound like it would work well : ie the laquer/poly coating over the decals; will it hold up?

What are others experiences with modifying freight cars to their own need?

Hi Thomas,

It works well but it is a lot of work.
You need to do a small check spray top-coat (colour or clear) for compatibility with the underlying coat at EACH stage.
Bubbling and crazing can occur randomly and only in parts. The reason??? Nobody knows.
Dry weather is important for spray painting.
Decals sit best on a gloss finish, then after a day or two drying another coating (matt or gloss/semi-gloss) to seal them on.
I sprayed using Humbrol gloss paints, which reduced the amount of coating.

I have done countless freight cars in HO using Champ and Microscale decals.
I gave up about 20 years ago, so now do only the odd item.

The examples you gave would each take up 8 to 10 hours, with days in-between each hour or two (work, chores, disassembly for painting, waiting for paint to dry, decals to bed-in etc).
In the end, it is a matter of is it worth it (for yourself of course)?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2019 05:16:06(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thanks mike and kimball. Ideally off the shelf is best. I’ve already got some of the Markin BASF cars but I’d like some variety at my plant and miss that 70, 80’s tape logo. The BBC (now ABB) for its blue on white is also a look I’m going for more than historical accuracy. In my case drawing on the plant in Mannheim and that they made electrical appliances back in the day in addition to locomotive motors, ICE development and controls and transformers ( I’ve got the Fleischmann transformer car already).

Time I understand it will take. They clearcoat has to be applied lightly on many layers matches what other sites recommend. Practice with some spare decal material to check solvent compatibility and effects of spray are also on the agenda. Testors matte is one recommendation. I’ll check what the. Decal maker recommends as well. Question still is get spray cans of matte poly or jars and apply with airbrush.

I only plan 4-5 cars so if it takes a week or two otw no problem. I hear we in western Washington are due for a dry summer.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Legless  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2019 06:27:56(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Bubbling and crazing can occur randomly and only in parts. The reason??? Nobody knows.

The three main reasons bubbling occurs is
1) moisture on the surface
2) spray can not thoroughly shaken
3) old spray can

Two main reasons for crazing on the surface
1) coat of paint to thick
2) fist coat of paint not properly dry, then second coat applied.
The second coat dries and shrinks on the first coat. Therefore causing the cracked, crazing or crocodile effect.
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Legless
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2019 15:31:57(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Same, same, but different:

The original M* 43600 AMTRAK decals can be rubbed off with a acetone-soaked cotton stick (albeit the M* 26600 CZ ones not).

For applying decals to freight and passenger cars as well as locos, I am using a Vallejo product mix as described here:

https://acrylicosvallejo...ftener-medium-decal-fix/

Except for difficult areas with ladder steps etc the result is always "bubble-free".
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2019 19:26:41(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Same, same, but different:

The original M* 43600 AMTRAK decals can be rubbed off with a acetone-soaked cotton stick (albeit the M* 26600 CZ ones not).

For applying decals to freight and passenger cars as well as locos, I am using a Vallejo product mix as described here:

https://acrylicosvallejo...ftener-medium-decal-fix/

Except for difficult areas with ladder steps etc the result is always "bubble-free".

Thanks. Airbursh does seem to be the way to go for applying the matte and protective finishes, as its more finely controlled than the blast of a rattle can.

I'll have lots of 'practice material' as one part of the custom decals I'm ordering is a large chunk of color bars in various shades of green/olive, in order to be able to order one decal to match the model I have, and not knowing how the particular printer will render the colors, I'm ordering a color pallet so I can make the diagram the exact color I need. (there is a best guess decal in the order based on the match from my xerox color laser, but the decal printer isn't that printer, so variations are highly likely).

So after I've gotten the match needed by comparing the color bars to the model, then I can use them to practice technique and what works insofar as setting and then sealing them decals. I'll be dealing with very tiny decals too - license plates and other small markings, so part of me things its easier than dealing with a large decal, but one needs steady hands and a good eye/magnifier.. which should be fine with my luxo magnifier lamp and not having a lot of coffee before hand.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline ninobenve  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2020 22:59:19(UTC)
ninobenve

Argentina   
55160[/attach]100_5343 (640x463).jpg100_5689.jpg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by ninobenve
Offline thing fish  
#9 Posted : 08 March 2020 10:45:13(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

Yes, it would hold up. The sequence you described is accurate. I use painters matte varnish as the last layer. Make sure you use "micro sol" and "micro set" when applying decals for amazingly good results. You can find info on how to use these on the net.

C.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline Chook  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2020 13:27:34(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Minok our illustrious Webmaster has manufactured several excellent versions of scratch built wagons as a method of funding this site.

Regards......Chook.