Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline A7Bicester  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2019 18:19:34(UTC)
A7Bicester

United Kingdom   
I Have the above crane which for some reason has stopped working, when pressing the stop button the light blinks of the circuit board inside the cab, but nothing else works. I did enquire with Gaugemaster about getting it repaired but they dont do repairs, they did suggest that I try resetting the decoader. Being a complete digital novice I have not a clue about how to do this, I have the Marklin CS2 but have no way of Updating it. If anyone can offer decoder restetting instructions for dummies then I'm all ears.

Thanking you all inadvance

If any one knows of any Marklin clubs in or very near to Oxfordshire UK then I'm certainly interested in joining

Cheers
Richard
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2019 13:14:12(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Richard

My crane is a 46715 same as yours in yellow

Here are 2 pictures of the inside
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Likely your problem is mechanical
Cheers

Jean
Offline ocram63_uk  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2019 22:57:10(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I don't think the decoder needs resetting. I don't even know if you can do that. Anyway I would send it back to Marklin.
The thing that puzzles me is Gaugemaster saying he does not repair things, fine, but as distributor shouldn't he send it back to Marklin ?
Confused
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 26 March 2019 00:48:58(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Richard and forum friends

According to the Stummi forum (one of Germany's largest on trains) it appears that Märklin does not support the models including Piezo motors anymore
I have 2 models having piezo motors: the first "Turmtriebwagen" (Catenary work rail car) 39970 and the crane 46715.
I had to repair the "Turmtriebwagen" because the pantograph was not moving. It turned out that the nose of the Piezzo motor (in contact with the rotating wheel) was worn out. You may see it in action after repair in this videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAlsyI-uALY&t=173s
I repaired it by filing off a section of the nose, make a part shaped to finish the nose (to replace the missing part) and made of aluminum. Glued with Cyanoacrilate. It works.
My crane 46715 is fully functional but the cabin rotation is very painful (sometimes it does not rotate in one direction). I have not repaired it yet but I will soon check what is the matter with it. Of course the decoder may die but this is not usually the case (unless by external electrical shock)
The company which makes the motors is still in business: Thorlabs and the motor is Elliptec
Look here https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrou...cfm?objectgroup_id=10122 at the page's bottom
I don't know what your crane has but IMO the 2 best suspects are : fast erosion of the motor nose (very soft aluminum) or mechanical resistance (the motors are not powerfull (to say the least) so any resistance will stop it.
To know if the motor is vibrating, simply touch it (gently) while it is supposed to run. You will feel vibrations

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 26 March 2019 03:35:46(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Did you perhaps reprogram some other decoder recently?

By doing so, I inadvertently also reprogrammed my crane decoder....

see 2018 update section at https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com/2007/01/mobile-crane.html

Try to write to the reset CV of the decoder (8 if I recall)
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 26 March 2019 11:13:55(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
As Dale said reset is usually done by writing 8 into CV8

Cheers

Jean
Offline A7Bicester  
#7 Posted : 27 March 2019 06:02:21(UTC)
A7Bicester

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
Did you perhaps reprogram some other decoder recently?

By doing so, I inadvertently also reprogrammed my crane decoder....

see 2018 update section at https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com/2007/01/mobile-crane.html

Try to write to the reset CV of the decoder (8 if I recall)

Hi and thank you all for your help, I hadn't reprogrammed anything else but while playing around with the crane I found a reset in the menus and after pressing this a couple of times it worked, although it seems a bit slow it is better than nothing at all.BigGrin

I having trouble with my Tunnel Rescue train, test it when I got and it work fine, set it up a few weeks ago and although you could hear the motor running the loco & train would not move. I took it to a local model shop who do repairs and he said it was a dummey loco as the gears were on the opposit side to the drive wheels, I took over the complete train set and manual and confirmed he did infact have the drive loco, I have lent my MS2, control box, track & manual so fingers crossed he can sort it for me. Beats me how things are packed in the boxes and manage to stop working without being touched.Angry

Marklin should really think about producing an Idiots guide to digital railway.