Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2019 16:12:36(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I was looking for a review on this lok but did not find one. There was one one E bay and I won it for $140.00. When I looked on line it seems to be maintenance free except for oil on the gears. I plan to run it on a analog system. When I get it I plan to post a picture (not more then four). It should be a good puller as it seems to have four rubber traction tires. Also I like the look of it, the Prussian steam loks had a sense of style, like fine art. Any info would be appreciated - Fred
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2019 20:01:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The 34551 is a MHI exclusive item from 2000/2001. It is a Prussian G 8.1, later Br 55.

The model has a Delta decoder and will run OK on both digital and analogue systems.

From the Marklin database:

"Comes with a Delta electronic circuit. 4 axles powered. 2 traction tires. High-efficiency motor with bell-shaped armature and flywheel built into the boiler. Close coupling between the locomotive and tender."

I believe it has only two traction tyres, not four, but the loco should nevertheless be a good puller for it's class. The prototype was never a heavy freight loco and is small relative to a Br50, Br52 or Br44.

I have a 37550 which is the digital DB version of the same loco and I'm very happy with it. I hope you will be happy with yours too!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2019 20:22:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
I was looking for a review on this lok but did not find one. There was one one E bay and I won it for $140.00. When I looked on line it seems to be maintenance free except for oil on the gears. I plan to run it on a analog system. When I get it I plan to post a picture (not more then four). It should be a good puller as it seems to have four rubber traction tires. Also I like the look of it, the Prussian steam loks had a sense of style, like fine art. Any info would be appreciated - Fred

Indeed as @RayF mentioned, here you see the BR 55 of the DB as Märklin 37550

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/37550/

and prior times

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/34551/

Märklin used the loco in various forms, e.g. as a snow blower

https://www.modellbahn-r...leuder-db-mfx-sound-ovp/
Offline Tex  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2019 20:37:27(UTC)
Tex

United States   
I agree with Ray. I have a 37554 digital version of this engine and it has been a smooth running engine for a number of years. It is also a good puller . I have a long grade and I limit it to 9 freight cars but the larger Class 44 and 50 freight engine can be assigned to trains with up to 12 freight cars Tex
Offline SteamNut  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2019 23:59:05(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Thanks for your replies. I will give it a test on my 3.6% grade. The only question is if came with a smoke unit and if it does will it be the correct one for analog.