Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Melbourne marklin  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2019 10:40:14(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Hi all need your wisdom please in fixing a digital train 37195 sbb haversack steam loco that is stuck in full speed.
Have turned the whole track set off at the power point, taken the train off the track and when I put it back on and press stop to go it goes flat out even though the speed controller is set at zero. Other trains work fine. Using MS2.
Thanks in advance.
A newbie to this hobby, All Marklin HO, Swiss only, across all eras, largeish 5m x 4m layout in planning, small table top training table in operation.
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2019 12:21:58(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
It always helps when we get more information such as what type of decoder it has, what I can gather the loco's decoder is in analog mode and has to be set to ditgital.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline ktsolias  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2019 17:45:45(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Look for short circuits in the loco
#4 Posted : 28 February 2019 22:23:24(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
It always helps when we get more information such as what type of decoder it has, what I can gather the loco's decoder is in analog mode and has to be set to ditgital.

John

Hi John train was running in full digital moments before, its only a month old and had been running normally in all that time. Its a new MFX+ decoder.
A newbie to this hobby, All Marklin HO, Swiss only, across all eras, largeish 5m x 4m layout in planning, small table top training table in operation.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Melbourne marklin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2019 23:40:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

John

He's told you the catalog number of the loco ... Confused

Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2019 00:09:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Have you tried switching everything off and then back on?

It might seem like a silly question but I have a couple of locos that do just this, and they get sorted out when I reboot my controller.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 01 March 2019 01:30:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

John

He's told you the catalog number of the loco ... Confused

Alan, a catalogue number doesn't mean what type of decoder is in the loco,

thank you

John
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 01 March 2019 01:40:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Melbourne marklin Go to Quoted Post

John

Hi John train was running in full digital moments before, its only a month old and had been running normally in all that time. Its a new MFX+ decoder.

if you don't get it back to normal digital operation what's the chance taking back to the dealer? or sending it back to Märklin, I always liked this loco but never got around to buy it. I wouldn't advice you to remove anything unless it is manually removable, like a 21 pin mtc decoder and see if the same decoder works in an other loco with the same pin number.
As Ray suggested try and reboot the loco, it sounds to me its in analog mode., it happens sometimes to my locos too,when they lose the digital signal due to a dead spot in the overhead wire and it is than running out of control

John
#9 Posted : 01 March 2019 01:53:42(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Melbourne marklin Go to Quoted Post

John

if you don't get it back to normal digital operation what's the chance taking back to the dealer? or sending it back to Märklin, I always liked this loco but never got around to buy it. I wouldn't advice you to remove anything unless it is manually removable, like a 21 pin mtc decoder and see if the same decoder works in an other loco with the same pin number.
As Ray suggested try and reboot the loco, it sounds to me its in analog mode., it happens sometimes to my locos too,when they lose the digital signal due to a dead spot in the overhead wire and it is than running out of control

John

thanks John yes that's whats exactly happened it hit a dead spot then went into full speed and was not responsive. So will try to turn everything off see if that resets it.
Other than deleting the loco out of the controller and then re registering it there doesn't seem to much more that can be done?
#10 Posted : 01 March 2019 01:55:23(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Have you tried switching everything off and then back on?

It might seem like a silly question but I have a couple of locos that do just this, and they get sorted out when I reboot my controller.

Thanks Ray I did that but it didn't work will give it another go. cheers
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 01 March 2019 03:38:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Your locomotive is a recent model and should be equipped with a mfx+ decoder.

I see two possible situations here...

1) Your decoder is no longer functioning (recognizing the controller) and is responding as would an analog locomotive. If the decoder is toast, you may need to replace it.

2) Your decoder is temporarily thinking that it is in analog mode and not responding to the controller.

Here are a few tests that you can do:

1) Unplug the controller, wait 30 seconds before reconnecting. Once done, enter the locomotive's address and see if the locomotive responds to the commands in digital mode.

2) Remove the locomotive from the track and place it on an analog track. Test to see how it operates on a regular analog track (loop). Does it respond to speed commands?
If it responds normally in analog mode, turn the power off and place the locomotive back on the digital layout and see if it responds now.

3) Check your MS2 to ensure that it issues commands in mfx, mm and dcc. See if you can access the locomotive using regular MM (Maerklin-Motorola) address directly. That address should be listed in the manual. Create a manual register for that address to test.

4) You can place the locomotive on your programming track and instruct the MS2 to detect the locomotive. See if normal operations resume thereafter.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
#12 Posted : 01 March 2019 03:57:32(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Your locomotive is a recent model and should be equipped with a mfx+ decoder.

I see two possible situations here...

1) Your decoder is no longer functioning (recognizing the controller) and is responding as would an analog locomotive. If the decoder is toast, you may need to replace it.

2) Your decoder is temporarily thinking that it is in analog mode and not responding to the controller.

Here are a few tests that you can do:

1) Unplug the controller, wait 30 seconds before reconnecting. Once done, enter the locomotive's address and see if the locomotive responds to the commands in digital mode.

2) Remove the locomotive from the track and place it on an analog track. Test to see how it operates on a regular analog track (loop). Does it respond to speed commands?
If it responds normally in analog mode, turn the power off and place the locomotive back on the digital layout and see if it responds now.

3) Check your MS2 to ensure that it issues commands in mfx, mm and dcc. See if you can access the locomotive using regular MM (Maerklin-Motorola) address directly. That address should be listed in the manual. Create a manual register for that address to test.

4) You can place the locomotive on your programming track and instruct the MS2 to detect the locomotive. See if normal operations resume thereafter.

Regards

Mike C

thanks Mike will give it a go and report back.
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 01 March 2019 04:31:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Jonathan, I operate a different system (ECoS = ESU) but in my case, I took the loco off the track and put it back but it didn't make any difference but my decoders have RailComPlus similar to the mfx self recognition mode and eventual it re-registered the digital mode, I think if you follow Mike's advice you should be on the right track

John
#14 Posted : 02 March 2019 03:22:32(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Ok reset the tracks, and then deleted the registration on the mc2 and now it just sits there buzzing ??? Not looking good!
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 02 March 2019 11:40:49(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Is there anybody near you where you can try the loco on their layout. Also did you try to change the decoder.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline mvd71  
#16 Posted : 03 March 2019 18:42:35(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi,

Have you tried doing a reset on the decoder? From memory I believe it's cv8 set to 8? Perhaps someone else can confirm.

This may help to clear any glitch in the decoder. If that doesn't work, and powering off then on hasn't worked, then you probably need to send the loco in for warranty repair or replace the decoder yourself.

Regards

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 04 March 2019 04:23:24(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Have you tried doing a reset on the decoder? From memory I believe it's cv8 set to 8? Perhaps someone else can confirm.

This may help to clear any glitch in the decoder. If that doesn't work, and powering off then on hasn't worked, then you probably need to send the loco in for warranty repair or replace the decoder yourself.

Regards

Mike

Yes, the reset to standard settings is CV 8 by the locos manual page 22.

https://static.maerklin....61f7b30ed61470385587.pdf

Do you have access to a decoder tester or perhaps a CS 3 nearby?

It sounds silly, but it could really be defective while it is brandnew. I made experiences with electronic chips, motherboards and similar elelctronic devices, either they are defective pretty soon while they are brandnew or never. But it always were computer, printer, etc. and never a decoder.

Unfortunately it also is not a mfx+/DCC decoder. But what you may try is switch of the mfx+ format and try to install it under the MM format. Digital address by the manual registration shall be 35. But I cannot promise you, if this way is possible at this loco by a MS 2. With a CS 3 you have always the choice to drive a loco directly by its address. If this does not work, than it is a case for a return to Märklin.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
#18 Posted : 09 March 2019 06:00:09(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Thx all for the advice will try to do the reset...
Offline Legless  
#19 Posted : 09 March 2019 06:18:51(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Hi Jonathan,
I sent you a PM.
Mike
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
Offline mike c  
#20 Posted : 09 March 2019 16:21:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you want, I can send you a PM too. There are many Canadians who would be happy if we shipped Trudeau down under... I'll even throw in the leader of the opposition too.

Sorry, I could not resist the political pun.

When a modern decoder fails, it can result in either the lok being DOA or being stuck in it's last mode.
What I would do is to try placing the locomotive on an analog track with a regular transformer.
See whether the locomotive responds as a normal analog locomotive would do. Then power down and put the locomotive back on the digital track and either detect the lok or manually enter the address and see if it now recognizes the digital commands.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Thewolf  
#21 Posted : 09 March 2019 16:44:22(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
. There are many Canadians who would be happy if we shipped Trudeau down under...

Regards

Mike C

You sound like a PQ guy. Flapper Flapper

A joke BigGrin

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline clarkie  
#22 Posted : 18 March 2019 08:59:33(UTC)
clarkie

New Zealand   
Try deleting loco from your loco list then re-introducing it.This has worked for me on occasion
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clarkie
Offline TEEWolf  
#23 Posted : 18 March 2019 17:00:35(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
. There are many Canadians who would be happy if we shipped Trudeau down under...

Regards

Mike C

A joke BigGrin

Thewolf

Serge,
this is not nice, what you are planning to do with the poor people down under. Then send this Canadian beau further, directly to the Antarctica and hope this sunnyboy does not melt the ice there.LOL LOL
Ah perhaps get Merkel onto the same plane to the Antarctcia. Then the ice has a chance to survive by her coldness without any alternative.LOLLOL

ciao

Wolfgang
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Thewolf  
#24 Posted : 18 March 2019 19:45:59(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Regards

Mike C

A joke BigGrin

Thewolf

Serge,
this is not nice, what you are planning to do with the poor people down under. Then send this Canadian beau further, directly to the Antarctica and hope this sunnyboy does not melt the ice there.LOL LOL
Ah perhaps get Merkel onto the same plane to the Antarctcia. Then the ice has a chance to survive by her coldness without any alternative.LOLLOL

ciao

Wolfgang

Wolfgang ...Sorry...you're not there at all Cool

You have to live in the beautiful province of Quebec to understand my joke about Trudeau and the PQ...and I don't think Europeans know the relationship between the federal and provincial levels here. Mellow

I will say no more: a sensitive subject here in our province Huh

Thewolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#25 Posted : 18 March 2019 21:36:55(UTC)
TEEWolf

Regards

Mike C

A joke BigGrin

Thewolf

Serge,

ciao

Wolfgang

You have to live in the beautiful province of Quebec to understand my joke about Trudeau and the PQ...and I don't think Europeans know the relationship between the federal and provincial levels here. Mellow

Thewolf

Well, Germany is a federal state too and similar to Canada. You got Provences and Territories, we call them "Bundesländer" (federate states).
But of course I do only know an excerpt about canadian politics. This was the reason, why I say take this female Staatsratsvorsitzendenkanzler Merkel on board too. Because the effects in their politics are quite similar to the people in both coutries.
Offline Thewolf  
#26 Posted : 18 March 2019 22:50:34(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   

Regards

Mike C

A joke BigGrin

Thewolf

Serge,

ciao

Wolfgang

Thewolf

Well, Germany is a federal state too and similar to Canada. You got Provences and Territories, we call them "Bundesländer" (federate states).
But of course I do only know an excerpt about canadian politics. This was the reason, why I say take this female Staatsratsvorsitzendenkanzler Merkel on board too. Because the effects in their politics are quite similar to the people in both coutries.

I can also write that Belgium, my native country, with its three languages, its three regions, has a federalism very, very similar to Canadian federalism. We can assimilate the Flemish region to western Canada and Wallonia to Quebec, but I will never say that we are similar.
We are North Americans and Belgians are Europeans. Two different worlds, two different ways of living, day and night. I know: I was born and lived 42 years in Belgium and 22 years here. And we can't compare day and night.Bored

Germany I don't know... except the soccer stadiums of Bayer Munich, FC Cologne, FC Hamburg, Borussia Dortmund, stadiums that I stepped into during memorable matches in the European Cup of Champions Clubs, Nations. And that goes back a long way: I'm going to be 65 years old.Drool

France, I also know...for arguing with the French supporters during France-Belgium at the Parc des Princes in Paris.....after the game, of course.Laugh We've never fraternized with them.

On the other hand, the Germans were cool. And the beer flowed with them Love So many memories BigGrin

Thewolf

Offline Purellum  
#27 Posted : 18 March 2019 23:35:59(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

stadiums that I stepped into during memorable matches in the European Cup of Champions Clubs, Nations.

I think we have moved a little away from the original topic; but I have to ask:

Were you in the Stade de la Meinau in Strasbourg on the 19/6-1984 ?? BigGrin

I was there..... LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_1984

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Thewolf  
#28 Posted : 19 March 2019 14:26:02(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

stadiums that I stepped into during memorable matches in the European Cup of Champions Clubs, Nations.

I think we have moved a little away from the original topic; but I have to ask:

Were you in the Stade de la Meinau in Strasbourg on the 19/6-1984 ?? BigGrin

I was there..... LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_1984

Per.

Cool

Yeah Purellum...you are right...We are a little out of the subject of this postCrying

But ..yes.... I was at the Stadium... Denmark-Belgium... the best won.

To conclude this small drift, the 3rd half was memorable Laugh Laugh BigGrin BigGrin

Thewolf

Offline Purellum  
#29 Posted : 19 March 2019 16:33:26(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

But ..yes.... I was at the Stadium... Denmark-Belgium... the best won.

Well, the scores says who won, if it was the best team I don't know; but I know it was the most emotional game I've ever seen BigGrin

Some of the Danish fans were literally crying after 38 minuttes; but then the game changed BigGrin

After the game, the Danish goalkeeper Ole Qvist threw his shirt to the Danish fans Cool

You can see the shirt here again; but this time in Mexico 1986................. LOL

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#30 Posted : 19 March 2019 19:53:38(UTC)
Webmaster

Please stick to the topic, we need to go on solving the issue... Mad

If the decoder isn't all bad, the 2 best options are to try to run it with a different digital controller or to have a run on analog track.
As an alternative - do a reset, or just leave it to rest for a month or so - so capacitors on the board get zeroed voltage wise.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Webmaster