Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ausipeet  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2019 06:57:48(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
How time changes things when one has not been back to his home town since 2001 and even then not really looking to see the railway station as at that time i was more concerned with my mothers health, plus i was stating with my Aunt then in Alkmaar and all that i can recall was travelling each day between Alkmaar and Amsterdam hospital to visit mum. The only time in those eight short weeks that we(my oldest brother and my youngest brother)ventured anywhere near Den Haag was on a day trip to find where we lived before the whole family left our home and emigrated to Australia in 1968.
Then in 2017 i was lucky enough to have been able to travel back Home once again and this time i was slightly shocked at how much my birth city had changed. Unfortunatly i only had a short time to visit Den Haag but the thing that stuck out in my mind the most was the great transformation of the old to the new railway station(unbeknown to me at that time) it was more a case of moving the Centrall station some 2 kilometers into the city and building a brand spanking new Station.
Then an even greater time for me was when i had an ther opertunity to travel once again to Den Haag, and this time i spent two weeks exploring my home country with a good freind who had moved back to the Netherlands in 2018, at the same time over this two week period i spent each and every morning sitting in awe in Den Haag Centraal, in Starbucks for the first two hours from 6.30 am till around 8.30 am. i was awestruck at the new station and then found out on one of my daily trips that the old staion was still in place. did not really get a chance to look around and see the front but have found some pictures of the old and new stations.

How i recall it from back in 1965ish.
1eb36fc1-9d81-48de-b488-3bbcdcc017cf.jpg

And this is how i found it in 2018, such huge changes and to see trams run overhead in a train station took my breath away. Can not see that sort of advancement in Adelaide here for at least an other 100 years.
15297935822_a68d0f27da_b.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ausipeet
Offline PJMärklin  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2019 05:24:04(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
How time changes things when one has not been back to his home town since 2001 and even then not really looking to see the railway station as at that time i was more concerned with my mothers health, plus i was stating with my Aunt then in Alkmaar and all that i can recall was travelling each day between Alkmaar and Amsterdam hospital to visit mum. The only time in those eight short weeks that we(my oldest brother and my youngest brother)ventured anywhere near Den Haag was on a day trip to find where we lived before the whole family left our home and emigrated to Australia in 1968.
Then in 2017 i was lucky enough to have been able to travel back Home once again and this time i was slightly shocked at how much my birth city had changed. Unfortunatly i only had a short time to visit Den Haag but the thing that stuck out in my mind the most was the great transformation of the old to the new railway station(unbeknown to me at that time) it was more a case of moving the Centrall station some 2 kilometers into the city and building a brand spanking new Station.
Then an even greater time for me was when i had an ther opertunity to travel once again to Den Haag, and this time i spent two weeks exploring my home country with a good freind who had moved back to the Netherlands in 2018, at the same time over this two week period i spent each and every morning sitting in awe in Den Haag Centraal, in Starbucks for the first two hours from 6.30 am till around 8.30 am. i was awestruck at the new station and then found out on one of my daily trips that the old staion was still in place. did not really get a chance to look around and see the front but have found some pictures of the old and new stations.

Hello Peter,

We were in Den Haag in July 2016, having arrived in Amsterdam by sea and travelled down to Den Haag and back by "intercity" train.

I did not realise that Den Haag Centraal had previously been such a magnificent building, us having arrived in the new glass construction.

Thanks for your old photo of the station.

A few snaps from our visit :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

Philip

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin