Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DasBert33  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2019 22:34:04(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi all,

I recently purchased some of the new double container transporter cars, #4780x series. I even bought one of the Trix 2480x cars.

Now while the containers on most cars are very nice already, I would like it to be able to purchase alternative/additional containers to put on the cars for variation.

What brands of HO containers are compatible with the Marklin cars, if any? There does not seem to be a lot of documentation on this topic, or at least I didnt find it. From what I read, most brands have their own standards for mounting, so compatibility is a difficult subject.

So far I discovered these brands:
- Faller makes some 20' containers, but they seem rather expensive.
- Hobbyking sells some very cheap 40' ones, but the dimensions listed seem a little different from the containers supplied with the M cars. Due to the very cheap price it would be nice though to know whether they fit.
- Athearn and Whalthers seem to have some, but they are probably hard to get here in Belgium.

What else is there and what do you recommend? Which ones should I avoid? My preference goes to MsC containers, as I see them often on trains coming out of the Antwerp harbor.

Best regards,
Bert
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DasBert33
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2019 17:49:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The majority of the current Maerklin containers are made for Maerklin by Herpa. Herpa makes the 084192 adapter, which is a flat piece of plastic with sets of pins on both top and bottom, which allow the use of 20ft containers with sockets on Maerklin/Trix (or similar) container cars with sockets on the car surface. These adapters are included in certain Maerklin models (47051.XX, 47051/52/53/54) to name a few.
https://www.modellbahnsh...-gb-p-0/ein_produkt.html
I have also used the Herpa adapters to mount Roco 20ft containers on Maerklin cars.
The most interesting use to date has been the use of a pair of these adapters to mount a Fleischmann 40ft container on a Maerklin car, as the Fleischmann containers have multiple sockets to permit the installation of the longer containers on cars designed for 3 20 ft cars.

You said that you have a preference for MSC. I have a MSC train made up of the 47095 CEMAT cars alongside 40ft MSC Containers taken from other models.

I am currently considering the new metal models from B-Models, but have not seen photos of the actual models yet.
I also shifted the "Bell" Container from an older 4851 to use with newer container cars.

Using Herpa containers, some taken from Truck models, I now have the following loads:

Hupac with 2 23ft tank containers "Rinnen" and "Hoyer"
Hupac with 3 20ft tank containers Bertschi (silver, grey and brown) (may change load now that Maerklin released the 47097)
Hupac with 2 23ft tank containers "den Hartogh" (I never found the 47053)
Touax with "Evergreen" and "Vos Logistics" loads (from other models)
Hupac with 2 23 ft Swapcontainers "Hangartner" (from other models)

By taking some loads from Kombimodell cars, I can now use those KM cars with Herpa containers with sockets from my collection, including "Ferrymasters", "Geest", "Samskip" and "Ge-Ex" 45ft containers.
I also moved some loads from the Sgnss type (47097 type) cars to the T1s (47441 type) and vice versa, depending on the consist I want to model.

I have noted with various brands, even if the models have matching pins or sockets, that they do not always fit the corresponding pins or sockets on the car surface. I have Roco containers that cannot be used with other Roco cars and even a few misfitting Maerklin/Herpa models (47051.006 "Geest").

If you are looking for container models, check out Huenerbein (Aachen), dsautomodelle.de (zuruestteile) and sk-verkehrsmodelle.com (wechselbruecken/containers). They each have nice selections.
The Kombimodell 20/23ft models can be used with Maerklin (matching pins).

Regards

MIke C
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mmervine  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2019 01:59:36(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Bert-the latest runs of Walthers containers work perfectly with Marklin. They make MSC containers in both 20' and 45' lengths. I have added the 20' containers to my 47095 cars. Many European dealers can obtain Walthers items.

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2019 02:53:07(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I used some Faller containers but I had to file down the pins on the bottom as they are more rectangle in shape rather than round.

Edit: The containers fit on to the Marklin wagons with those modifications made.

Edited by user 22 February 2019 01:39:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2019 14:27:19(UTC)
bph

Norway   
I got some 40’ faller containers (180848) for the Märklin 47800. The Faller is slightly taller and pin placement is right, but it does not fit properly (as stated above).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline rbw993  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2019 17:55:44(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Mike,
I've been searching for good sources of containers too, tanks in particular as they don't seem to be as common in the model as in real life. I have gotten a few from Huenerbein. I add them on to bigger orders.

I have a B-Modells flat coming with Bertschi tanks, item 54103. Shipping now so should be here in 10 days. I'll let you know what I think of it after testing on my layout. I have found that I have to clip a bit off the bottom of the buffers on non-Marklin brands to allow use of the Marklin close couplers. It is noticeable unless you know to look.

R/Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline mario54i  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2019 19:34:58(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   

enjoy

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline sjbartels  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2019 22:43:19(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
I use and have many of the Walthers ones, they’re relatively inexpensive and they look great and fit without any issues. As you said though, they might be harder to get in Belgium than here in the US where I can buy them at any hobby store. I’ll send you a PM with some suggestions.
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline mmervine  
#9 Posted : 23 February 2019 13:54:20(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Mario-really nice video...thanks for posting!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 26 February 2019 00:48:19(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
Other brands that appear to be compatible with the Maerklin system is Electrotren and Rivarossi, both are part of Hornby Hobbies.

I recently purchased an Electrotren wagon with two military containers, and the 4 pins on the bottom of each container fit the Maerklin Sggrss (478xx series) wagon perfectly.
Also purchased a Rivarossi car with 40' Hamburg-Sud container (bottom pins), which fits the Maerklin wagons.

Kimball

Edited by user 02 April 2019 00:45:06(UTC)  | Reason: added Rivarossi

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline DasBert33  
#11 Posted : 26 February 2019 13:30:39(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Last Sunday, at a 2nd hand fair, there was a dutch seller who had really big boxes full of HO scale containers. After asking for Marklin compatible containers, he came up with only 2 tank type specimens (out of the hundreds-something he had with him). They were of the brand 'Albedo'. I purchased one and indeed it fitted perfectly. The container looks suspicously similar to the tank containers of the 47802 car. Only the plastic used is a little stiffer on the Marklin ones. It seems Albedo merged, or was purchased by Herpa, and that the same container design is now used for the Marklin containers. Where the 'Albedo' marking is on the old container, is the 'Marklin' marking on the new ones.

Bert
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DasBert33
Offline DasBert33  
#12 Posted : 28 February 2019 15:38:59(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi again,

Today I went to the Antwerp city center, and in a hobbystore there I purchased some (expensive IMHO) Faller containers. I expected some issues based on Bigdaddynz comments, but in fact most needed no modifications to fit on M cars. I have purchased these:

-180829, 20' "k-line": larger round pins, tight fit but no modifaction necessary. Can also be the paint on the mating car that is on the thick side
-180825, 20' "Hanjin": rectangular pin, needed small mod with hobbyknife. Easy to do as said.
-180851, 40' "Cosco": larger ellyptical pins, tight fit, no mod necessary
-180844, 40' "China shipping": small round pins, fits perfectly

The 40' ones are slightly taller than the 20'ones and the 40'supplied with the Marklin cars. The M 40' and Faller 20' are the same height.

I paid 15 euros for the 40'models, and 11 euro for the 20' models. As said, expensive, but they were hanging there in front of my nose ;).

B
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DasBert33
Offline DasBert33  
#13 Posted : 01 April 2019 09:26:41(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Bought some more Faller container, here is the verdict:

-180845, 40' "Cosco": small round pins, but pin distance in length direction too large to fit out of the box. Works after small modification.
-180850, 40' "XTRA": small round pins, fit perfectly
-180830. 20' "CP Ships": rectangular pin, needed small mod with hobbyknife.

I also placed a Hobbyking order to get their containers. Will post here with the results.

B

PS: these containers are addictive!
Offline mario54i  
#14 Posted : 01 April 2019 10:15:48(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Originally Posted by: DasBert33 Go to Quoted Post

PS: these containers are addictive!

I agree Smile

Offline DasBert33  
#15 Posted : 02 April 2019 18:34:49(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
The Hobbyking containers have arrived! They are all 40' high cube containers, so slightly higher than the Marklin ones which depict regular 40' ones.

Very fast shipping (and free!)

Slightly disappointed that they removed the pins on the containers, there are only holes. The containers on the internet reviews that can be found still have pins, but apparantly the design got updated since.
So I will have to add some pins myself.

But on the plus side, the quality is better than expected, matching (or even exceeding) the Faller containers while costing a lot less. Good printing on all 5 sides, vibrant colors. I think all of them are painted now (internet reviews say otherwise). Only one container (Hapag Lloyd) has the wrong size code printed, the others are updated.

Some were only 2.6 euro/container, for this price I'm happy to add the pins myself. (vs ~15 euro/container for Faller ones!). BTW I strongly suspect the Faller containers are rebranded Whalters containers.

I also got 2 of the Hobbyking 21pin DCC decoders at 11 euros/piece to test. (1/3 price of ESU Lokpilot)

Bert
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 03 April 2019 16:39:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I did a little experiment last night. I took a pair of the Herpa 084192 adapters, snipped off the top pins at one end of each, I then placed the two sides without pins back to back and secured the two parts using black thread. I then placed the extended adapter on one of my Maerklin container cars (47097) and to my delight, I could use this kit-bashed part to mount a 40- or 45 foot container on the car.

You have to ensure that the side without pins is facing up. The pins on the underside pop into the sockets on the car body and keep the adapter in place.
I can now use this to load any of my Herpa/Herpa-Kombimodell containers on a Maerklin car. I still want to see whether this will also work with Roco and ACME container loads too.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline DasBert33  
#17 Posted : 03 April 2019 20:37:35(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
I was also thinking about your Herpa adapter suggestion.

Makes you wonder why they dont release a 40'/45' adapter variant from factory.

Bert
Offline mike c  
#18 Posted : 04 April 2019 01:03:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have been testing my first Rocky Rail T3000 car. The model came with trucks lettered for T.T.S. and Samskip/Van Dieren. The car itself is labelled AAE leased to TX Logistics.
The trailer mount is different than those used by Herpa and AWM, so I am not sure the trailers can be swapped out for other brands.
The car comes with mounts (nibs) to affix a pair of 40 foot containers. I have tested it using a pair of Herpa 40 foot Samskip containers. I have also tested it with a single Samskip container and the Samskip trailer.
I have ordered two additional cars from one of my European dealers, adding a car with P&O Ferrymasters and a car with Gruber trailers. I think that the Ferrymasters car is labelled for ERS, which would suit the Samskip containers. The Gruber trailers are on a car labelled for TX Logistics.

T.T.S. trailers were a common sight in trains hauled by Crossrail and today by BLS Cargo. Gruber trailers are pretty common in various trains. The Ferrymasters trailers will match my Roco Ferrymasters/Unit 45 loads and I have separate Kombimodell (Herpa) Ferrymasters containers in the blue and yellow liveries.

TX Logistics used to operate trains on the Gotthard route, probably best known for the MRCE ES64U2 and Dispolok ES64F4s, which were at the time (2012-2015) different from the other loks seen on that route. Today, TX Logistics runs trains using former Crossrail BR 186 leased from Cargologic AG (Rhenus Switzerland).

Has anybody been able to use 45 foot or other size containers on the Rocky Rail cars. There are mounting points located in the space at the middle of the car unit, but I don't know if they can be detached and moved to positions appropriate for other size containers. There is no information in the instructions regarding this kind of use.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mario54i  
#19 Posted : 04 April 2019 09:59:05(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Not sure the Rocky Rail wagon is a T3000, it looks more a TWIN. See the difference here .
The Piko one is a T3000.

regards