Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2019 09:48:40(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi ALl…

With 24 cms. and 27 cms express coaches being non-prototypical in length, what do you do? Do you just live with it?

Also, for 24 cms. and 27 cms. coaches what is the best track circle geometry to use for both M-track and K-track? My "new" L shaped layout which is currently in the design stage is going to be roughly 345 cms. (11-1/4 feet) x 135 cms. (4-1/2 feet) / 260 cms. (8.5 feet) x 155 cms. (5 feet).

Cheers,
Ranjit

Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2019 12:47:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I generally run my 24cm coaches behind older classic locos made in the sixties, and 27cm coaches with newer tooling locos. I also have some of the longer length 28cm coaches but I try to avoid them as my layout is small with R1 curves. 30cm coaches are banned from my layout!

As far as track radii to use, I recommend you use the widest available in the space available. 24cm coaches will run OK on R1 and won't look too bad. 27cm coaches I would try to limit to at least R2. They will run on R1 but won't look so good.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline PhredD  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2019 15:03:52(UTC)
PhredD

United States   
I do exactly as Ray does. I do like the 24cm cars from a nostalgic point too, so I fully accept the compromise there. I don't mix the few larger cars with the 24s so as to not make things too obvious (if you ignore the car length to lok length comparison . . . ).
Plus, with my existing layout, the 30cm cars, as much as I'd like to have them, will not work with my hidden return loops. I do have a number of 4037 tinplates, plus Märklin, Piko, Roco and Lilliput rebuilt/Eilzug cars, all to scale, which satisfies my desire for scale accuracy.
Fred
PhredD
Burke, VA USA
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PhredD
Offline rrf  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2019 17:42:03(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

I am in the same catagory as Ray and Fred. All of my passenger loks have specific cars they pull. I have loks that run with 24 cm Tin Plate cars (both original versions and recently produced "Retro" versions) and I have loks that run with newer 27 cm cars. I don't mix 24s and 27s within the same train but I certainly have no problem running 24 cm and 27 cm trains at the same time on my layout. BTW, I have no clue if I have any 28 cm cars. If so, it's possible that I am mixing them with 27 cm cars.

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn