Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2019 18:31:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The opportunity to release models for particular eras gives for many items the possibility of different appearances or variants.
It should be possible to model a train of tank cars for 2004, 2009 and 2018.
... I think that Maerklin could sell the models if they came out with consist sets. I would buy a Hupac Sgnss set or an AAE Sgnss set. I presume that a Wascosa, VTG or KVG tank car set might be of interest to some. They could make 500 sets of each and then come out with variants down the line. Would this be of interest?

But, this topic is about missed opportunities, so we should keep that as the focus.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,

Again off topic. Maybe in another thread, but I will ask here anyway because I have no understanding of the current European freight.
With all the different freight companies active then, from your understanding could you see a set of DB cargo Sgnss cars in the same train as an AAE set, and so on?

In Heidelberg last year I saw an east-bound oil car train made up exclusively of GATX, Ermewa and Wascosa cars, hauled by a AKIEM locomotive (187.5).

regards
Kimball

That is a difficult question to reply with a single answer.

There are unit trains belonging to particular operators, e.g. a Hupac train from Rotterdam to Italy or the Ambrogio container shuttle from Germany to Italy. Those trains would normally be composed of cars operated and assembled by the operator.
There are also unit trains that belong to particular companies, e.g. a Petrol train from Germany to Switzerland, where the consist would be composed of cars leased by the oil company or refinery, which could include cars from multiple operators or lessors.
I have many "Wascosa" tank cars, but also have GATX, VTG and others. Using those cars, I can put together a consist of generic cars that could make up almost any modern oil car consist. If I want to be more specific, I can throw in my various cars labelled for "Petra-Plus" or other companies, which transform the consist from generic to a specific oil company.
Getting back to your specific query about DB Cargo and AAE cars. Let's say DB Cargo is pulling a container train from Hamburg to Munich. That train might include DB Cargo or Railion Sgnss cars. DB Cargo might also have leased additional cars from AAE, which might be used in that consist. It could also happen that DB Cargo is contracted to haul a container train from Port to destination, but the train belongs to the shipping company (Samskip, MSC, etc) and that company has leased cars from various operators (VTG/AAE, Wascosa, Touax, Ermewa, etc). If the train required additional cars for a specific run, they might ask DB Cargo to provide those additional cars.
The problem is that Maerklin has released AAE Sgnss cars from operators including Cemat, Locon, BoxXpress. It might be possible to find AAE cars in various consists, but once a car has been leased to an operator, it is unlikely that that car would be used by other operators. I would not expect to find a Locon car and a BoxXpress car in the same consist unless the two operators were sharing a route. Some companies, like Hupac, are in business both as operators as well as fleet leasing, so it might be possible to find Hupac cars both in Hupac trains as well as in use by other operators.
I managed to find two 47081 sets, a few 47097 cars and along with my 474XX cars, can assemble a Hupac train, which I can use with a number of assorted loads.
(Vos Logistics, Hangartner, Samskip/Geest, etc). With a few additional cars from other makes, I can make it a typical Hupac train.
I took a few Cemat 47095 to make a MSC train even though those cars might not be the right ones for the run through Switzerland. I also have the 47070 (Crossrail) and 47096 (SBB Cargo) sets to make a SBB container train. I don't know how common it was to find SBB Cargo cars with Crossrail loads though. I think that Crossrail had cars leased from AAE.

As far as DB services, I remember seeing photos of the "Red Train", which was a DB Cargo/Railion container train which used to run on the Gotthard from Germany to Italy and back.
DB cars were also standard on the "Winner Transport" train on the same route. I suppose that these trains could have had a mix of DB, DB Cargo and Railion material.
My Samskip train has cars registered to Railion NL and RailReLease NL as Maerklin did not make AAE/ERS cars.

I wonder if Maerklin would not be better off simply making the models for the leasing company (VTG/AAE, Wascosa, Hupac, etc) without labelling the cars for a specific lessee, which would mean that it would be easier to use the same car in various consists.

If you have a few left over cars that don't fit a specific consist, those can be added to a local or mixed freight, made up of all kinds of cars that could be found between freight hubs and local delivery destinations.

I hope that this info helps. I am sure that some people ignore the small markings and just run whatever they feel like. After all, in this hobby, we have to use our imaginations a little too.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2019 09:31:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks Mike.

That is a fantastic answer and certainly gives me the tools to start looking at the models produced, and being partly selective in purchases.

I note that Maerklin often use detailed descriptions of their model freight productions.
An example 47800:
Type Sggrss 80 (DB Type Sggrss 733) 6-axle double container transport car with articulation, for combined load service. "Traffic Red" basic paint scheme. German Railroad, Inc. (DB AG), used on the freight railroad Railion DB Logistics, registered in Germany. Loaded with two 40-foot box containers. The car looks as it currently does in real life.

These descriptions are really useful, and worth understanding.

Luckily I am not too concerned about revision dates and lease or availability data, though I do like to see different running numbers for the same item.
I don't get too scrupulous about that either when it suits me.

Thanks again. I have created a word doc from your reply to help my ongoing perusals.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2019 09:45:12(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
To add some interest for ongoing thoughts, I have compiled a list of container shipping lines ranked by size.
This comes from various sources, mainly Wikipedia.
It gives some idea of the ratios of cargo likely to be seen on rail.

A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S (Denmark)
MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A. (MSC) (Switzerland)
China COSCO Shipping Corporation Limited,
CMA CGM S.A. (France)
Evergreen Marine Corporation (Taiwan)
Hapag-Lloyd AG (multi-national)
Orient Overseas Container Line (OOCL) (Hong Kong, China)
Hamburg Südamerikanische Dampfschifffahrts-Gesellschaft A/S & Co KG – Hamburg Süd (subsidiary of Maersk)
Yang Ming Marine Transport Corporation (Taiwan)
Nippon Yusen NYK (Japan)

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.