Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2019 20:02:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was not surprised to see the Piko models of the Hupac BLS 193 and the RailCare 476 (193). I was surprised to see that these models did not appear as new items from other manufacturers.
Given that Minitrix last year released a Coop (Swiss) Re 460 and Sgnss car set with Coop containers (11638/15469), I thought that we would likely see the RailCare (Coop) 476 in a set with 2 or 3 Sgnss cars with Coop containers in HO this year.

No such model was announced as a New Item from Maerklin. There is still the possibility of Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter New Items.

Roco already had a car with Axis containers (76915), which would also be prototypical with a RailCare Re 476, but alas, not model from them either.

I ordered the Roco Hupac/SBB "Nightpiercer" Lok. I would probably order the Hupac/BLS Lok too, but I am not sure if I want the Piko model.

Are there any models that you were expecting, but did not show up as new models?

Regards

Mike C

Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2019 20:30:05(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I was not surprised to see the Piko models of the Hupac BLS 193 and the RailCare 476 (193). I was surprised to see that these models did not appear as new items from other manufacturers.
Given that Minitrix last year released a Coop (Swiss) Re 460 and Sgnss car set with Coop containers (11638/15469), I thought that we would likely see the RailCare (Coop) 476 in a set with 2 or 3 Sgnss cars with Coop containers in HO this year.

No such model was announced as a New Item from Maerklin. There is still the possibility of Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter New Items.

Roco already had a car with Axis containers (76915), which would also be prototypical with a RailCare Re 476, but alas, not model from them either.

I ordered the Roco Hupac/SBB "Nightpiercer" Lok. I would probably order the Hupac/BLS Lok too, but I am not sure if I want the Piko model.

Are there any models that you were expecting, but did not show up as new models?

Regards

Mike C

Well, what you see at Märklin now, the real start has started of changing their customer groups has. As you know Märklin wants less collectors and more gamers as customers, especially young gamers. And unfortunately the young gamers are the future.

But the collectors will still be satisfied. What do you think about Märklin's new offers in 2019 for container wagons, like 47130, 47131, 47805, 47806, 47808. All similar to your Roco 76915.

Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2019 03:12:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have ordered the Wascosa/Giezendanner car. The Railrelease (NL) and the Touax (BE) models are not ones that you would normally find on the Swiss network.
What I would like to see is the option to order cars and mix and match containers, so I could get a Hupac or AAE (generic) car with containers that would suit a Gotthard, Loetschberg or Brenner motif.
Maerklin has been focused on models that are suitable for routes between North Sea and Channel ports to Germany, Austria, and points east. They have not made many models for North-South international routes.
The earlier 47081 could have been a good international model, but was released only as a NL model. Same for the 47051.XX models, which had Railion NL cars rather than AAE/ERS ones.
Last year's 47097 was the first international Hupac Sgnss, but the similar 47802 was registered to LOCON, which was used mainly between Holland and Germany.
I managed to find a few 47081 and a few 47097, so I now have more than a few Hupac cars, along with the various 4744X cars.
I am not asking for exact models, but at least models that suit my theme.

I went for some Kombimodell cars, but they are a little too fragile. I don't like the Roco container fixation system and the fact that even among cars with the same system, the containers are often not exchangeable. I had a few ACME ones that had coupler issues and am looking at the long announced B-Models metal ones.

In these days of unit trains and corporate KLVs, Maerklin will hopefully make enough models by operators (Hupac, TRW, etc) and by lessors (AAE, Wascosa, Touax, Ermewa, etc) so that accurate consists can be made.

Getting back to my original point, for example, given that Piko, LSM had already announced an ELL 193 for SBB Cargo with 2 Pantographs, Maerklin could have gone with the 4 Panto version and put out a model that was not available elsewhere... That is the type of missed opportunity I refer to.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2019 09:09:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Mike,
Having recently got interested in era VI, I find your summations of what models would be nice very illuminating.

Statistically the Maerklin database shows there have been 749 era V items produced since 2001.
And 450 era VI items in the same period.
A total 1200 items in 19 years, or 64 items per year, more than one a week.

So the difficulty for any producer of these goods is out of all the prototypes, which do you choose?
They cannot afford to think like you and I, which is to follow through on a particular theme/thread of a prototype consist.
For a start, which year of the prototype?
How many wagons in the consist?
Not all modellers think like this.
Maerklin have to appeal to as wide an interest as marketably possible, which I assume means they cannot afford to dwell on themes.

It does make it more interesting for us to hope for a continuity of our particular theme models in the future.
I see that Maerklin in 2019 are producing era VI tank cars dating back to 2004.
Who wants cars dating back to 2004?
In my own selfish model world, I think why would they not model them as of 2018???

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2019 18:43:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The opportunity to release models for particular eras gives for many items the possibility of different appearances or variants.
It should be possible to model a train of tank cars for 2004, 2009 and 2018.

If I use Roco's new BLS Re 4/4 (425) as an example, they released two models so far, 79781 and 79819 (AC models). the first one has a (R3) revision date of 1994 and the second has a revision date of 1989.
Roco announced the models as suited for multiple traction (Ideale Ergänzung für Art.-Nr. 73781, um eine vorbildgerechte Doppeltraktion zu bilden), yet I would expect the lok with a R3 date of 1989 would have had another revision by 1994 (5 years), so I am not sure that the two models would have been seen together with those markings.
Neither of those models would be running today with those revision dates, so sticklers cannot use those models for Era V or VI or for any period prior to 1989.
The third model, the one with the single arm pantograph will come out later this year. It will be interesting to see what revision dates that model will have.

I wonder if Roco will release models for the 1960s and 1970s and whether they will release a modern version for BLS Cargo use?

A number of companies have started releasing models for specific trains and timeframes. LSM's ModelsWorld division is an example of this.
Maerklin has done this too, from the IC Beethoven to the IC Tiziano and from the Isar-Rhone Express to the Rheingold Fluegelzug.
It would be nice to see more variety, so that you could model more trains, including night trains, a larger assortment of coach types and more add-ons.

For example, if somebody has the IC Beethoven, but wants to add an extra Bpmz, they should have a model that matches the set.

I think that Maerklin could sell the models if they came out with consist sets. I would buy a Hupac Sgnss set or an AAE Sgnss set. I presume that a Wascosa, VTG or KVG tank car set might be of interest to some. They could make 500 sets of each and then come out with variants down the line. Would this be of interest?

But, this topic is about missed opportunities, so we should keep that as the focus.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2019 20:37:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Yes, I was expecting 1 Gauge TEE coaches to match the 1 Gauge BR103 I have. I found it surprising that Marklin haven't released them since they went to the trouble of releasing two models of the BR103 - 55105 and 55107.
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2019 22:04:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
What about the 58048/58049 sets? They are the original Rheingold design, but that would still be ok for 1965-1975 or so as they have UIC numbers.
Maybe the restaurant would have to be replaced as they pulled the Buckelspeisewagen out of service at some point.

I also found this site: https://wunder-modelle.j...-1-waggons/tee-ic-wagen/

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2019 22:21:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
They say you learn something new every day if you're a smart person, and I've just learnt something new (not because I'm smart but because Mike is).

I was aware of the 58038/58039 coach sets released in 2008 (a friend of mine has these coaches), but wasn't aware of 58048/58049. There is also a 2 car set somewhere along the line.

Another option would be to mix red/cream TEE cars with the blue/cream Rheingold cars Marklin released a year or two ago (some are still available)

Thanks for the website, I hadn't seen that before.

Another item I thought Marklin might release this year is a Marklin Metall set of some description. Marklin have released a Metallbaukasten item every 5 years since they stopped full time production in 1999, and this year is 5 years since they released the last one.

Still, as you say there is the Summer and Fall items yet to come.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 16 February 2019 01:10:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
There is also a 2 car set somewhere along the line.

58049 is the 2 car set!
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 16 February 2019 03:23:17(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
The opportunity to release models for particular eras gives for many items the possibility of different appearances or variants.
It should be possible to model a train of tank cars for 2004, 2009 and 2018.
... I think that Maerklin could sell the models if they came out with consist sets. I would buy a Hupac Sgnss set or an AAE Sgnss set. I presume that a Wascosa, VTG or KVG tank car set might be of interest to some. They could make 500 sets of each and then come out with variants down the line. Would this be of interest?

But, this topic is about missed opportunities, so we should keep that as the focus.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,

Again off topic. Maybe in another thread, but I will ask here anyway because I have no understanding of the current European freight.
With all the different freight companies active then, from your understanding could you see a set of DB cargo Sgnss cars in the same train as an AAE set, and so on?

In Heidelberg last year I saw an east-bound oil car train made up exclusively of GATX, Ermewa and Wascosa cars, hauled by a AKIEM locomotive (187.5).

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 16 February 2019 04:36:59(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
... Another option would be to mix red/cream TEE cars with the blue/cream Rheingold cars Marklin released a year or two ago (some are still available)

A year or two ago Huh ? I bought the mixed Rheinpfeilset 43857 in 2014.Smile

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/43857/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 16 February 2019 08:49:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
......I bought the mixed Rheinpfeilset 43857 in 2014.

Not much use to me, we are talking 1 Gauge here...... Wink You might remember a certain loco I posted pictures of. Well, I need coaches for it.

But I do have enough of the right H0 cars to make up that train.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 16 February 2019 18:32:45(UTC)
mike c

Canada