Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2019 17:38:42(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter recently assisted me in correctly setting up my L88 and S88. Last item I needed to correct was to connect my 2299 Circuit track to the L88 (via the k track rail) T connection. Once done, the shuttle works.BigGrin

One problem that remains is that I am unable to have the whistle soundConfused . I have attached screen shots programmed instructions for one of the contact points. Appreciate suggestions.

Instructions (my intent) are to stop the locomotive when it enters the station, change direction, sound the whistle and then run. Except for the whistle sound, all this happens.

E9 first screen.png
E9 second screen.png

Thanks
Harvey
Offline Elsleuth1  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2019 18:18:49(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
I think your problem has to do with the time delay for each command. I find there are lots of problems with commands that are less than 3 seconds. It appears to me that when you set all commands to 3 seconds it gives the CS2 a chance to operate each command in order.

To edit the time delay value,
- enter Memory setup mode,
- call up the route in question
- tap and hold the icon for the "Function Off or On"
After a couple of seconds you will get a popup dialogue where you may edit the time delay

I am interested in what more knowledgeable members have to say on this topic.
Offline Harvey  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2019 20:51:18(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Elsleth1

Thanks, it worked.

Harvey
Offline Elsleuth1  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2019 21:02:33(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
Wow, that is pretty cool.
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2019 00:16:30(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I fully concur with the observation.
While 3 seconds appears a bit conservative, I think 1 second is a min and when explaining memory programming I advise 2 for emphasis.

My thinking is that the backend engine works on a poll/timer basis to check (among all its other activity), every now and then, to see if there is work to do.
If , between theses polls a function has been set on and then off - the backend discerns that there is no nett change and therefore no need to do any work.

FWIW,
for a number of current decoder devices there is an inherent extra command needed under the covers.

Imagine that you have a non digital layout with a control box with 2 buttons (red and green) for switching a turnout (curve and straight)
What actually happens is
- when you press (and hold) the red button you "energise" the red side of the turnout motor
- when you release the red button you "deenergise" the red side of the turnout motor

When using digital a separate command is set for each - i.e. a command to the decoder to energise , followed by a command to de-energise
The time delay is "usually" controlled by the controller/keyboard so that, no mater how quickly you tap the button the master looks after you and the device and ensures there is a suitable pause between commands.

However , when using a PC interface "all bets are off" , and one reason for turnouts (using a k83) overheating was that a programmer either forgot to send a de-energise command or they "sent it too quickly" and it was missed.
(The observation in the CS2 Memory function correlates with this programming without a master looking after you)

The current m83 has, designed into it, a safeguard such that it will automatically de-energise a port if the controller does not send one.

The ramifications ...
one example is the use of an uncoupler, where it used to be common practice to hold the button down while driving a train across it.
You could do that with a k83, but not with a m83 in its default mode (i.e. 4 pair mode rather than 8 port mode)
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Elsleuth1  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2019 15:20:24(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
I knew Peter would weigh in on this problem. This is something that will drive the owner of a CS crazy until they understand what's going on. The idea should be part of the CS manual. Thank you Peter. I might just try 2 seconds now. BigGrin