Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CTD81  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2019 16:32:13(UTC)
CTD81

United Kingdom   
Joined: 05/11/2017(UTC)
Posts: 20
Location: England, Rotherham
Hi, I have a k track point with a moveable frog which is about 30 years old but looking at the newer k track points I see that they have fixed frogs. Can anybody tell me when and why the design got changed.Confused
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2019 17:15:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Joined: 23/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 4,089
Location: ENGLAND, Didcot
Originally Posted by: CTD81 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I have a k track point with a moveable frog which is about 30 years old but looking at the newer k track points I see that they have fixed frogs. Can anybody tell me when and why the design got changed.Confused


You must have one of the last with the movable frog. The design got changed because the mechanism underneath the point is too easily jammed by a bit of dust or grit between the point and the baseboard leading to the frog directing the train a different way to the moving point blades. It never was a great mechanism design as the plastic pieces it is made from are not stiff enough to work reliably at the best of times.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2019 17:16:23(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Joined: 27/10/2004(UTC)
Posts: 751
Location: Burney, CA
Originally Posted by: CTD81 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I have a k track point with a moveable frog which is about 30 years old but looking at the newer k track points I see that they have fixed frogs. Can anybody tell me when and why the design got changed.Confused


This old design was changed around twenty years ago due to the notorious unreliability of the moving frog. Dust is not its friend. Crying
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline Graham HO  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2019 19:59:45(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
Joined: 03/07/2008(UTC)
Posts: 120
Interesting discussion on this topic - several years ago I made the fatal mistake of placing ballast and dilute PVA adhesive too close to the movable frog mechanism. Out of frustration the useless 2275 went into in a drawer, and did not see the light of day until a couple of weeks ago. After several hours of study I decided that there could be nothing to loose by removing the immobile frog and replacing it with a similar sized and shaped item fashioned from a piece of old CD case plastic.
Bedded down with a spot of super glue and a couple of ‘check rails’ installed on opposite sides of the frog - the complete conversion turned out well and looks the part with some suitable Matt paint to blend it in.

If one of our members can instruct me on how to place a photo of the completed job - I would be grateful.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Graham HO
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2019, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.378 seconds.