Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline KlausNorway  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2019 09:52:57(UTC)
KlausNorway

Norway   
Thought it would be fun to share my quest into the Marklin world from scratch. I started with nothing in November 2018 (except my dads old 3048 and som m-tracks..) and are now ready for the first initiation in February 2019.

Here is the list of parts secured the last month based on this plan:

https://media.noch.de/fi...2448_399200832a418cb.pdf

I bought:
-One of each of the Noch Heidelberg modules (5 total to form an L and to have enough length to stretch out the locomotives with cars)
-Full c-track package with digital decoders (27 in total) in all turnouts and crosses.
-CS2 60214
-MS 60657
-60883 L88 decoders (using 3*16 contact tracks, and Marklin Net, so no s88 only latest L88 connected with 60125. Because i think that it is cool....)

Locos and theme:
-Marklin Big Boy and 58 cars (might need to be cut, my testing give me some worrying results on coupler integrity and weight)
-Marklin Norwegian Stortysker and 30 freight cars
-Marklin Danish Litra and 20 Cars, including a Danish Olsen Banden theme taken completely out of context but fun....
-Marklin German BR52 and whatever i have left of cars
-Marklin Adler and 5 cars
-Marklin Thomas and friends (i have kids who think it is fun too)
-Marklin Empress theme loco and car
-An additional 5 steam locos to runs the 20 various passenger cars
Pure era 1-3 steam based theme, love steam! However, it is on the brink of being an overcrowded layout by now...

-30 houses and diorama (the wife will handle this part for now i think, so when she will finish all that is no telling....)

-Two shadow fiddle yards under the table, with double tracks so the massive big boy arrangement has proper parking length on the outer one.
-Table and structure from 40*40 aluminum (industrial system used for automated manufacturing lines)

-Building for future use of WinDigipet with three contact tracks pr. block start-center-exit (software not procured yet, but I think it looks superior?).
Planning on putting 1 contact track before each shadow yard to confirm all cars have passed before switching over the turn for the following train. Some of these sets will be quite long, and the distance from the main line to the correct "parking" spot makes it worth it i think. An additional contact start and exit within the parking section between the turnouts as well to be absolutely sure the track is clear before the massive big boy starts the sound and smoke show. My initial carpet track tests with weight in the cars to keep them on firm on the track and 230 track bends shows it is a big job to reset a derailing here, and it does include damage....
-Feeder wires every 2 meters+each block. Not sure I will use the blocks in the traditional way of having only 1 loco pr block, we'll see how it goes.

Been brushing dust of my programming skills from college on my carpet track i have practiced the various plans i have had in my head for automation. I now have a full box of old c-tracks cut to death and wires and decoders to try out various ways for feedback and scenarios. Thank god the pre 2002 c-track production is crappy and cheap.....
I did start with CS1 and some very old pc-links and decoders, but found the updated 60214 superior and more than good enough as link to PC control and still have a nice modern Marklin center piece feeling at the table.

Might have done some beginner mistakes, but i think I am onto something nice here. So, wish me luck folks BigGrin
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by KlausNorway
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2019 10:36:07(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Klaus,

Welcome to the forumThumpUp

Sounds like a mighty big project and looking forward to follow your progress.

Regarding automation with PC software I can provide some hints (I myself use Traincontroller Gold which I can highly recommend):

Yes, do sit down and make a detailed plan of your blocks and the contact tracks within it.

For longer block section I normally have 3 contact tracks (beginning, middle and end). Remember software this days does not require the whole block to be occupancy monitored.

If you are concerned about loosing the benefit of both rails having ground connection you can install a diode with the isolated rail on the contact track.

Try and do some simulation of how you are planning to run your trains. E.g. you may want to slow down your train prototypical before entering the shadowyard and you may find that it could be beneficial to have an extra block for this to start happening. Also if you have turning circles you want to have at least a couple of blocks within the circle else you might find complications later on.

For making the c track contact tracks make sure to test them afterwards. Sometimes it’s required to file away the rail end slightly to ensure you have large enough gap. Especially a heavy loco like a big boy can easily move the tracks so slightly if not on a complete flat and level surface and any slight bend in track might bridge the gap.

I do wish you good luck.

Best Regards
Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline mbarreto  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2019 10:40:41(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Welcome to the forum and good luck to your layout. It is a lot of trains, but they don't need to be all at the same time in the layout.
For a start your project is demanding, lthough I think the approach you are doing is good by testing the automatoin scenarios previously.
Keep posting on your layout building and for sure you will have lots of feedback!

Regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2019 12:31:59(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Welcome to the hobby, Klaus! According to all major train controlling software packages, every ”blue” area in the picture below (derived from the Railroad & Co TrainController users guide) should be defined as a block. As an example, Southtown should have two blocks, e.g. ”Southtown 1” and ”Southtown 2”. The general rule is also that there should be only one train in each block, and the whole train should fit into one block. Most often, I have only two contacts in each block, for ”Brake” and ”Stop”.

You don’t need contacts in the ”previous” block for the reason of calculating that the whole train has passed. What if the last car remains on an undetected turnout between the blocks? However, using TrainController Gold, you can define length of each block and each train, in centimeters. So, a long train leaves Southtown 2, passes Main Line West (where it slows down a little) and enters the Hidden Yard 1 block. It passes the ”Brake” contact there, and finally reaches the ”Stop” contact. Now, TrainController calculates that the train is so long, that it occupies both the Hidden Yard 1 AND the Main Line West block. Also - and this is great - the route between the two blocks remains occupied. This implies that no other trains

(1) can enter the Hidden Yard 1 nor the Main Line West block
(2) can enter the route, i.e. turnouts and tracks between the blocks

ThumpUp

15083E8D-76B7-4469-A91B-20B7E974ACD8.jpeg
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Thewolf  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2019 14:50:11(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi KlausCool

Although what can I say about this Heidelberg project that I know perfectly well because I have put it together in several forms?

It is an excellent concept for an apartment as long as you have the necessary space. No carpentry, no wood but it is necessary to reinforce the aluminium frame: it is not stable enough

Although the space is wide, the hidden station is difficult to access. The access height to the rear is not sufficient. I wanted to place 5 sidings: abandonment of the project. 4 tracks are the limit. 3 tracks: no problem

It is necessary to pay great attention to the correct position of the modules so that they are of equal level. I had problems with switches because one of them was installed just between module 80330 and 80310.

It is also necessary to reinforce the surface of the top with pieces of wood. It goes a little deeper if you press it.

But...but..but the big problem...the big problem with this concept is the gradient of the ramps of modules 80310 and 80320. the internal curve (rail C 24130) exceeds 4%, the external curve (rail c 24230) slightly exceeds 3%.

In addition, the length is short: powerful locomotives are needed for the ascent. 40% of my locomotives were skating.

What did I do? I have always been seduced by the Heidelberg concept. I kept the idea of the concept, threw the modules to the garbages and rebuilt a brand new project called Laurentides-Neudstadt III based on Noch's Heidelberg concept.

Have a nice day

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2019 16:15:36(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
excellent layout. I bought the right hand section from Noch which makes a good mountain and built on to that my own idea of what I wanted. Have a dozen buildings and a small station at the top and lighting these can be difficult working below the unit. Not found a problem getting Marklin locos up the gradient but longer coaches might be more difficult.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline KlausNorway  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2019 16:29:10(UTC)
KlausNorway

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Klaus,

Welcome to the forumThumpUp

Sounds like a mighty big project and looking forward to follow your progress.

Regarding automation with PC software I can provide some hints (I myself use Traincontroller Gold which I can highly recommend):

Yes, do sit down and make a detailed plan of your blocks and the contact tracks within it.

For longer block section I normally have 3 contact tracks (beginning, middle and end). Remember software this days does not require the whole block to be occupancy monitored.

If you are concerned about loosing the benefit of both rails having ground connection you can install a diode with the isolated rail on the contact track.

Try and do some simulation of how you are planning to run your trains. E.g. you may want to slow down your train prototypical before entering the shadowyard and you may find that it could be beneficial to have an extra block for this to start happening. Also if you have turning circles you want to have at least a couple of blocks within the circle else you might find complications later on.

For making the c track contact tracks make sure to test them afterwards. Sometimes it’s required to file away the rail end slightly to ensure you have large enough gap. Especially a heavy loco like a big boy can easily move the tracks so slightly if not on a complete flat and level surface and any slight bend in track might bridge the gap.

I do wish you good luck.

Best Regards
Lasse

Hi Lasse,

Massive thanks for your tips, tricks and best wishes. I must admit I have read many of your posts in here in the past weeks, alotta good stuff yeah!
Thanks for contributing well to the community.

Noted on Traincontroller, i also see it is slightly cheaper for the full package than Windigipet. Difficult to decide, but another vote further below makes it more interesting to look into, the largest community wins for the extra support.

Blocks: I get the point, sort of... However i struggle to bend my mind around the wiring. What I am running now is basically daisy chain everything with 74042 (Im lazy, so i got a full ten pack...) regarless of the blocks, but of course as a minimum between two contact tracks. The rest is simple: place at least 1 contact track before and after any turnout. Maybe that is the correct thinking, and it works for me here on the test-track, if it is correct among the experts too; please give your vote ;)

C-track gap; you hit the nail on the head; guess what this Norwegian was spending half a beautiful morning on one day; why the hell do i get random occupancy? A few c-tracks later, update of software, tried 5 decoders and 16 channels pr. decoder. Bingo; c-track touching each other, on the top. Break out the Dremel cutting disc, job done. One lesson richer, two liters of coffee heavier...
And on that, in a vulnerable moment i bought a bag full of 24995's, which i thought would be nice. Not at all, they seems like an absolute waste of money as they don't really offer anything other than what you get with cutting a regular c-track, am i using these wrong? They do have a nice blue symbol and a cut track, but other than that; totally the same, with the same conductivity all the way through?

Any comments on using only L88's? :)

Thanks for all inspiring words and wisdom.

Klaus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by KlausNorway
Offline KlausNorway  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2019 17:08:35(UTC)
KlausNorway

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi KlausCool

Although what can I say about this Heidelberg project that I know perfectly well because I have put it together in several forms?

It is an excellent concept for an apartment as long as you have the necessary space. No carpentry, no wood but it is necessary to reinforce the aluminium frame: it is not stable enough

Although the space is wide, the hidden station is difficult to access. The access height to the rear is not sufficient. I wanted to place 5 sidings: abandonment of the project. 4 tracks are the limit. 3 tracks: no problem

It is necessary to pay great attention to the correct position of the modules so that they are of equal level. I had problems with switches because one of them was installed just between module 80330 and 80310.

It is also necessary to reinforce the surface of the top with pieces of wood. It goes a little deeper if you press it.

But...but..but the big problem...the big problem with this concept is the gradient of the ramps of modules 80310 and 80320. the internal curve (rail C 24130) exceeds 4%, the external curve (rail c 24230) slightly exceeds 3%.

In addition, the length is short: powerful locomotives are needed for the ascent. 40% of my locomotives were skating.

What did I do? I have always been seduced by the Heidelberg concept. I kept the idea of the concept, threw the modules to the garbages and rebuilt a brand new project called Laurentides-Neudstadt III based on Noch's Heidelberg concept.

Have a nice day

Thewolf

Hi Mr Wolf!

Not ready to bin my Noch Heidelberg modules!!
However, I have the same issues you are talking about. My upper arms are of decent size, and these days they have allot of scars from ABS vacuum pulled plastic made in Germany scraping and cutting my arms! It is insanely tight in there, and yes, having to put 2x4 stiffners everywhere does not help. Bolting makes it even more fun. Argh.
For that reason i did not manage to build as big as i wanted, because i constantly have to pull it out from the wall to fix something; sticky 7449x motors, derailing, cabling, decoders not listening to orders, in other words; in-out, in-out. Making a 6-10 module layout in my dining room, was as good as an idea as parachute-less skydiving lesson. It all started with a bad idea....
My Fein Multimaster saw came to use at some point when is lost count of the amount of pain killers and band aids i had to endure mounting this...
Transitions is a mess, and need a lot of shimming under the tracks. My dear Big Boy derailed massively because of that (yes, there is a turnout right at one connection point) creating the same feelings as when your cat dies, for about 1 minute.. It is so heavy it rolls over dramatically hard. Lucky enough, I broke out the extra cash for the transformer platforms, or else the total disaster would have been a fact; Big Boy falling 75,5cm, glad my gem was saved, that day......

Aluminum: i did not buy the Noch one, looked like tooth picks! I bought heavy grade aluminum profiles used for automated production lines with point loads of 100's of kg pr meter. I can stand on it basically, and jump, carefully though....
They are from Manu Systems, but are sold under various brands directly to companies that build robot stations and cells.

Still not had an issue during testing on the gradient after some adjustments, however, the original marklin screws is s joke. Replaced with proper ones, where you can use a proper screwdriver. Reason for mentioning; the bigger trains tend to struggle when the weight is not as well planted into the ground. 50-60 cars, gradient and a loose track that is not level is an issue at each end of the Heidelberg. So is the tunnel opening. The track plan from Noch is for inspiration, i had to bin it, because in real life, it did not allow the big boy to go through. With my new plan it does, without cutting the original opening. Summary; properly bolted, properly shimmed and tracks adjusted; the gradients are ok, but not more than that. Great is not the word.

Reason for Noch Heidelberg; After applying to the head of the house, it is placed in the corner of our dining room. The first thought was Woodland Scenic Grand Valley. However it was not big enough, and not done enough. So in order to get it up and running fast and looking halfway nice on the first day; Noch was the only way, even though it has its flaws, I still love it being modular and i can extend it in a day to all kinds of shapes. I agree and experience the same pain, but still love it. On the other hand, it does sound cool what you are up to, any pics on that to share ? :)

Massive thanks for sharing!

Klaus
Offline KlausNorway  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2019 17:28:57(UTC)
KlausNorway

Norway   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
Welcome to the hobby, Klaus! According to all major train controlling software packages, every ”blue” area in the picture below (derived from the Railroad & Co TrainController users guide) should be defined as a block. As an example, Southtown should have two blocks, e.g. ”Southtown 1” and ”Southtown 2”. The general rule is also that there should be only one train in each block, and the whole train should fit into one block. Most often, I have only two contacts in each block, for ”Brake” and ”Stop”.

You don’t need contacts in the ”previous” block for the reason of calculating that the whole train has passed. What if the last car remains on an undetected turnout between the blocks? However, using TrainController Gold, you can define length of each block and each train, in centimeters. So, a long train leaves Southtown 2, passes Main Line West (where it slows down a little) and enters the Hidden Yard 1 block. It passes the ”Brake” contact there, and finally reaches the ”Stop” contact. Now, TrainController calculates that the train is so long, that it occupies both the Hidden Yard 1 AND the Main Line West block. Also - and this is great - the route between the two blocks remains occupied. This implies that no other trains

(1) can enter the Hidden Yard 1 nor the Main Line West block
(2) can enter the route, i.e. turnouts and tracks between the blocks

ThumpUp

15083E8D-76B7-4469-A91B-20B7E974ACD8.jpeg

Thanks for the welcome PeFu, much appreciated!
You illustrated my thoughts perfectly with your picture, but as i wrote in my comment to Lasse: I'm not quite so certain and confident i got the wiring right.
Indeed, the scenario of having one cart standing still on the middle of a turnout, thinking it is all clear, is keeping me sleepless and bothered based on the comments made on the hidden garage of my Noch Heidelberg! Fatal is the word.
But i guess with the way i have wired it, my contact track before the turnout, is your version of the end one for your block?
I think I am missing something, but it works fine for me now the way i have it.
Input on this matter and the comment to Lasse is very very much appreciated. I wanna get it right, and ready for PC. Programming with automation of the CS2 is what it is i think we can conclude on........ and there was silence.
I will try to separate the blocks better, thanks alot for the illustration.

Many thanks

Klaus
Offline PeFu  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2019 21:09:52(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
You will be OK if adding (at least) two indicators per block, i.e. a total of 20 indicators in the example below. One indicator for ”Brake”, one for ”Stop”, in each block. The same indicators can be used for trains running in the opposite direction. A proper software - like TrainController - will take care of trains that need more than one block, reserving routes (and turnouts) between the blocks.

You shouldn’t have a turnout WITHIN a block. The only turnouts you allow within blocks are for manual control only, i.e. turnouts that wont be used for automatic control of your trains. E.g. turnouts for stub tracks, etc.

If you follow these simple rules defining your indicators, you will be ”on track”! BigGrin

79A4028E-2391-432B-B778-E040F9F30664.jpeg

The red dots below marks where I should have defined indicators at the Heidelberg layout.

29F2D30B-6AC9-4CF9-9367-72997BD3015C.jpeg
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Thewolf  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2019 21:44:03(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi Klaus Cool

This is the TCO of my Heidelberg layout simplified version. I have the software Itrain

25594278_1982437052016441_7181203945258765677_n.jpg

On the left in module 80310 is the warehouse. You will notice that there is only one contact. But it's for the software. In reality, the small storage lanes each had a contact connected in

a single output to the S88. This warehouse was independent of the rest of the network. The green light of the signal opened the power.

In this part I was not doing automation.

The second track underneath was the storage track of my maintenance train and was called warehouse B. It had the same principles as warehouse A.

When the maintenance train started up, the whole layout was empty and the maintenance train was running everywhere doing its job.

Each block had two contacts. I had started with contact rails (24990 and others...)I gave up, the ''pedal'' of the rail being very ''delicate''.

Now I do my contact rails myself

Here the video :

The guy on the video is welding his wire for the S88. I use a spade connector 74495

Here Laurentides-Neudstadt III

https://www.marklin-user...aurentides-Neudstadt-III

If I may take a word of advice, take Peter's advice (avatar: people). He helped me a lot in the layout plan

Have a nice evening

Thewolf
Offline KlausNorway  
#12 Posted : 05 February 2019 18:58:11(UTC)
KlausNorway

Norway   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
You will be OK if adding (at least) two indicators per block, i.e. a total of 20 indicators in the example below. One indicator for ”Brake”, one for ”Stop”, in each block. The same indicators can be used for trains running in the opposite direction. A proper software - like TrainController - will take care of trains that need more than one block, reserving routes (and turnouts) between the blocks.

You shouldn’t have a turnout WITHIN a block. The only turnouts you allow within blocks are for manual control only, i.e. turnouts that wont be used for automatic control of your trains. E.g. turnouts for stub tracks, etc.

If you follow these simple rules defining your indicators, you will be ”on track”! BigGrin

79A4028E-2391-432B-B778-E040F9F30664.jpeg

The red dots below marks where I should have defined indicators at the Heidelberg layout.

29F2D30B-6AC9-4CF9-9367-72997BD3015C.jpeg

PeFu
Thank you so much for taking the time, your drawing is printed and headed for the layout.
I'm still not sure I need to make actual blocks with isolated center leads that will have to turn on and off like the analog days.
Seems as I only need to wire up 20++ single contact tracks like in your Heidelberg drawing, and let the L88's, CS2 and PC do the logic?
In that sense; all of the track is hot and powered without thinking about blocks, only enough feeder wires and points.
Do you think that sounds right? :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by KlausNorway
Offline KlausNorway  
#13 Posted : 05 February 2019 19:04:30(UTC)
KlausNorway

Norway   
Hi Klaus Cool

This is the TCO of my Heidelberg layout simplified version. I have the software Itrain

25594278_1982437052016441_7181203945258765677_n.jpg

On the left in module 80310 is the warehouse. You will notice that there is only one contact. But it's for the software. In reality, the small storage lanes each had a contact connected in

a single output to the S88. This warehouse was independent of the rest of the network. The green light of the signal opened the power.

In this part I was not doing automation.

The second track underneath was the storage track of my maintenance train and was called warehouse B. It had the same principles as warehouse A.

When the maintenance train started up, the whole layout was empty and the maintenance train was running everywhere doing its job.

Each block had two contacts. I had started with contact rails (24990 and others...)I gave up, the ''pedal'' of the rail being very ''delicate''.

Now I do my contact rails myself

Here the video :

The guy on the video is welding his wire for the S88. I use a spade connector 74495

Here Laurentides-Neudstadt III

https://www.marklin-user...aurentides-Neudstadt-III

If I may take a word of advice, take Peter's advice (avatar: people). He helped me a lot in the layout plan

Have a nice evening

Thewolf

Thewolf,
Thank you for your drawing, and inspiration for the warehouse of 4 tracks. I'm building that now, even though it is costing me a couple of more band aids on the biceps ;)
Maybe I'm not to experienced in the symbols, but what are the arrows with the white square in between symbolizing?
Did you build separate isolated blocks or only placed out single contact tracks as indicated in you schematics?
Thanks for the very relevant input :)

Offline Danlake  
#14 Posted : 05 February 2019 19:47:58(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: KlausNorway Go to Quoted Post

I'm still not sure I need to make actual blocks with isolated center leads that will have to turn on and off like the analog?

Hi Klaus,

Correct, no need to isolate power section. This is only needed if you going to use K84 modules and basic CS automation control. With PC control all you need is some sort of block feedback.

Note of advice; in early software version with CS2 there was issues with the feedback polling from control station to PC. Make sure you 60214 is updated to latest software.

Personally Iam running S88 feedback modules from LDT and using a USB interface module that connects directly to PC. This way you bypass the CS and will get super fast direct feedback reporting to PC without relying on the CS.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Thewolf  
#15 Posted : 05 February 2019 20:00:43(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: KlausNorway Go to Quoted Post

Thewolf,
Thank you for your drawing, and inspiration for the warehouse of 4 tracks. I'm building that now, even though it is costing me a couple of more band aids on the biceps ;)
Maybe I'm not to experienced in the symbols, but what are the arrows with the white square in between symbolizing?
Did you build separate isolated blocks or only placed out single contact tracks as indicated in you schematics?
Thanks for the very relevant input :)

Hi Klaus,

For the first question question, they are symbols of Itrain.

The arrows represent the direction of travel of the train. Most of my blocks run trains in both directions but I can choose only one direction either upstream or downstream of the block.

The white square is the symbol of the block. When a train passes through the block, the square begins to fill with the train identification, e. g. . BR460.

The red squares are like in Peter's layout drawing (people) contacts.

For the second question, only the track of the contact after or before the turnouts is isolated.

Look at the photo of a part of my new hidden station.

The blue wires are the contact wires that will be connected to the S88.

Only the tracks of the blue wire are isolated: only one track and always the same side

2018122003.JPG

2018122007.JPG

Have a nice evening

But if you want, I can take other pictures... more explicit of the contact tracks

Thewolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Thewolf  
#16 Posted : 05 February 2019 20:19:12(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Klaus ,

Sorry...I forgot to tell you something important about the Heidelberg modules: the base of your modules.

It is not thick, so your entire electrical system will be difficult to install under the table.

As it was a temporary layout, I wanted to do as in the picture. I liked this solution and I improved the system. The only wires on the ''ceiling'' are those of the feedbacks.

The system I used means that these wires are not in contact with others ( track power, city lights,...)

26166654_1983859448540868_electricite_n.jpg

Thewolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline KlausNorway  
#17 Posted : 05 February 2019 20:44:51(UTC)
KlausNorway

Norway   
20190205_202737.jpg20190205_202749.jpg20190205_202912.jpg

Thank you for the great confirmation and input Lasse and Thewolf, it confirmed my plan :) I ripped apart my prototype track and made a simple connection illustrating just that. The whole layout will be wired up this way. My first program ran on this one, basically The Percy loco running back and forth between the contacts and every second trip made one of the switches click just for fun at the other end.
Wish i knew what Lasse said about feedback of the older CS2 software some time back, because that became a late night figuring that out last week, because the CS2 did not recognize the L88. 4 hours of updates later; all good.

Thanks

Klaus
Offline KlausNorway  
#18 Posted : 05 February 2019 20:54:36(UTC)
KlausNorway

Norway   
Klaus ,

Sorry...I forgot to tell you something important about the Heidelberg modules: the base of your modules.

It is not thick, so your entire electrical system will be difficult to install under the table.

As it was a temporary layout, I wanted to do as in the picture. I liked this solution and I improved the system. The only wires on the ''ceiling'' are those of the feedbacks.

The system I used means that these wires are not in contact with others ( track power, city lights,...)

26166654_1983859448540868_electricite_n.jpg

Thewolf

Thanks again for the hot tips!
I will have an issue on that actually, because mine need to be independent of the floor stand, because i need to be able to pull it out from the wall to access the back. I will use the wooden frame underneath and build some wire tracks, going through the wood. Will have to work out something so the whole thing is one big plate on top of the frame.
On another note; have you mounted an LED light strip in the "garage"? If so, that is a brilliant idea i want to copy, it is dark in there! :)

all the best

Klaus

Offline Thewolf  
#19 Posted : 05 February 2019 22:33:59(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Yes I mounted an LED light strip in the "garage''