Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nathan_g  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2019 12:11:12(UTC)
nathan_g

Canada   
Hello! First of all, I'm Nathan and I've been buying products for the Marklin system since 2012. Most of my locomotives are manufactured by Marklin, so I've had no issue getting them to work. My collection does include a RailJet locomotive by Roco, which also runs well on the Marklin system. With that in mind, I thought it would be perfectly fine to buy not one, but two orders of this...

DB-BR-480.jpg

HobbyTrain H305101 - DB BR 480

This train is motorized, so I shouldn't have had any issue getting it to run. It was the only locomotive on the tracks, and the Mobile Station 2 (purchased late in 2012) did detect it using the "Find" functionality. It labeled it as "DCC-3" and showed all the available functions, which includes turning on/off the destination sign lighting, etc.

I did notice a sound that came from the motor (nothing ugly or loud, seemed normal) and the locomotive nudging slightly. No lights though. It won't move. Nothing happens when trying to get the train to do anything.

Does anyone have this model? I've already tried reaching out to the dealer where I got this from. They think it's because the Mobile Station is obsolete. Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks! :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nathan_g
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2019 12:31:18(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I guess the question to ask is, "Is the MS2 on the latest version?". If not, are you able to find someone with a CS2 or Cs3 to update the MS2?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline nathan_g  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2019 12:39:12(UTC)
nathan_g

Canada   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I guess the question to ask is, "Is the MS2 on the latest version?". If not, are you able to find someone with a CS2 or Cs3 to update the MS2?

It's not the latest version. It looks like I might have to fork over roughly $100 USD for an updated Mobile Station, or I might even go the extra mile and buy a Central Station. Is it worth it though? Will it fix my problem?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2019 12:39:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

Or even an ms2 that IS using the latest version.

Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2019 14:05:29(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Can´t you test it first with the selected solution, before forking out money?
Can you test it at the dealer? If he blames the MS, he should be able to back up his words...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline nathan_g  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2019 21:50:18(UTC)
nathan_g

Canada   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Can you test it at the dealer? If he blames the MS, he should be able to back up his words...

The thing is I ordered two of these, meaning I have four carriages total. Two of the carriages are motorized for push-pull operation. I tried adding both individually to see if it might be a defective product, and yes, I deleted the locomotive before attempting to add it again. Still, nothing! What are the odds that I have received not one, but two defective motorized carriages?

Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2019 23:13:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: nathan_g Go to Quoted Post

The thing is I ordered two of these, meaning I have four carriages total. Two of the carriages are motorized for push-pull operation. I tried adding both individually to see if it might be a defective product, and yes, I deleted the locomotive before attempting to add it again. Still, nothing! What are the odds that I have received not one, but two defective motorized carriages?

Are they supposed to have mfx decoders?

Offline nathan_g  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2019 00:21:26(UTC)
nathan_g

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Yes, but I can't tell if there's one in there already. The instructions weren't very clear and implied that there isn't.
Offline PJMärklin  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2019 10:04:31(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

DB-BR-480.jpg

Hello Nathan and welcome to the forum.

I like the model of the DB 480 S- Bahn

Regards,

PJ
Offline nathan_g  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2019 09:11:22(UTC)
nathan_g

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

DB-BR-480.jpg

Hello Nathan and welcome to the forum.

I like the model of the DB 480 S- Bahn

Regards,

PJ

It is a nice-looking model. To anyone who's looking to getting this: be forewarned! This model is mostly made of plastic and it's very delicate.
Offline nathan_g  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2019 09:15:11(UTC)
nathan_g

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

br480-sbahn-instructions.jpg

I'm not very comfortable taking an expensive item apart, but I'm willing to give it a go. One would think this train would just work right out of the box. If I really need an mfx decoder, which item would I purchase?