Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2019 04:01:54(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I have a 2842 "Olio Fiat"set, which I've never run myself, but went in for service tonight before doing so as it looked a bit worn. I did a tear down and it was rather dirty, so I gave it a good cleaning/decreasing. So far so good. I put it all back together and a brief systems test went ok, but it of course was making some large screams and squeaks. I touch of oil later it was better, however there is still a hell of a screeching noise from the motor or the first primary gear, I can't quite tell which. Its exactly the noise these things make when they are bone dry and need oil, however it was lubricated!? Any ideas as to the cause? I haven't had this one happen to me ever in spite of a considerable amount of repairs.

Thanks in advance! I can always take a video tomorrow night if needed

Edited by user 28 January 2019 14:14:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
Offline lewistrain  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2019 04:18:19(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Try taking it apart again and get your self to a spot where you can rotote the motor my hand, it should be super easy to turn over, then listen or feel for the rough spot or obstruction. Quit possible something was reassmbled incorrectly, it happens to all of us.
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2019 04:35:39(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: lewistrain Go to Quoted Post
Try taking it apart again and get your self to a spot where you can rotote the motor my hand, it should be super easy to turn over, then listen or feel for the rough spot or obstruction. Quit possible something was reassmbled incorrectly, it happens to all of us.

And don't over-tighten the motor housing screws. Finger-tighten, then just a touch more, it's easy to overtighten plastic because it compresses.

Smallest drop of oil on both ends of the armature, each gear pin, and each wheel axle should be all it needs.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2019 17:54:45(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
All good ideas, with a mistake on my part being the best explanation! Tonight I'll have a look, but a thought I hadn't had yet was also a drop of oil on the armature ends and gears before installation, as opposed to the external service points after installation.

More to follow... What I didn't mention about this locomotive was I think it got a spray of WD40 or something similar at some point, hence my tear down and stripping. I ahve to wonder if that did any damage, or if its the opposite and my cleaning dried everything up (as it should have!)
SBB Era 2-5
Offline analogmike  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2019 20:24:02(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
All good ideas, with a mistake on my part being the best explanation! Tonight I'll have a look, but a thought I hadn't had yet was also a drop of oil on the armature ends and gears before installation, as opposed to the external service points after installation.

More to follow... What I didn't mention about this locomotive was I think it got a spray of WD40 or something similar at some point, hence my tear down and stripping. I ahve to wonder if that did any damage, or if its the opposite and my cleaning dried everything up (as it should have!)

Hello John,
I have a Brown S3/6 Bavarian Lok that does the same exact thing. No mater what I tried. I can't remember weather it was flat or drum armature but it went back into the box for a rainy day ball bearing conversion.
I don't believe oiling the shaft with the motor apart or assembled will make a difference. I really don't think WD-40 caused any damage. Somebody put it there because they were having the same trouble as you and the can says "Stops Squeaks". Maybe I'll try it on the FD. BigGrin
Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline mbarreto  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2019 21:10:10(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Does the noise appears only at higher speeds?
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2019 14:21:27(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

Does the noise appears only at higher speeds?

Sadly no, it seems all across the speed range. And not in sync with revolutions or anything else easy to pin it to. I ran out of time last night due to some household repairs, but I'll look again tonight....
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2019 16:45:28(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
An update, I took the motor apart and noticed if I manually crank the wheels fast enough the sound is still there. So the motor is eliminated from the problem list, and I know it is in the geartrain. Listening closely as I do it, the noise is still in the area of the motor casing down to the first (rear) axle, not in the forward gears.

Ufff, so frustrating. I might be stuck with this?

SBB Era 2-5
Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2019 03:35:30(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Tonight I'll have a look, but a thought I hadn't had yet was also a drop of oil on the armature ends and gears before installation, as opposed to the external service points after installation.

That is the only way that I apply oil to my DCMs these days. I have opened them and found then floating in oil when it was applied externally, and that was using a small clock oiling point! When I see the diagram showing a giant drop from a Märklin oil dispenser I think what a mess that would make if you followed their suggestion.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline dickinsonj  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2019 15:42:33(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Ufff, so frustrating. I might be stuck with this?

You probably are stuck with this unless you replace the power truck or tear it down and rebuild it. Neither option is probably easy to accomplish and hopefully someone here can explain just how to rebuild that drivetrain.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#11 Posted : 31 January 2019 15:58:15(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
The good news is I have the tools to rebuild it, but knowing I have the identical locomotive (as sold separately) already digitized, I may just let this one be. A strange situation knowing the geartrain and motor show very little usage at all. Who knows, for now it runs well just with the noise so I'm going to let it be
SBB Era 2-5
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 31 January 2019 16:11:02(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Who knows, for now it runs well just with the noise so I'm going to let it be

Good call IMO. Sometimes it is important to know how and when to pick your MRR battles.
Regards,
Jim

Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#13 Posted : 01 February 2019 00:33:50(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Well, I'm not 100% sure how, but I just fixed it.

I went to put the locomotive away, and decided to take one last look because it was going to haunt me. I realized there is a small plastic cover which looks like part of the cast motor block, but in fact is not and can be removed. I popped it off which gave access to the gear just below the motor primary. Another way to describe it would be the gear connecting the primary the the 3 driven axle gears.

I gave that a good contact cleaner spray and a bit of a scraping with an xacto wrapped in a paper towel as well. (too small for a qtip or other device) It didn't look dirty at all, but somehow that fixed it. In the end, I suspect it was caused by the mystery (WD40?) oil over-lubrication, and when I stripped the rest of the loco the cleaner/stripper just didn't reach these very tight confines.

Noise solved, motor lubricated, and we have a lovely running locomotive ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Edited by user 01 February 2019 16:15:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline W3Machinist  
#14 Posted : 01 February 2019 16:32:46(UTC)
W3Machinist

United States   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post

Hello John,
I have a Brown S3/6 Bavarian Lok that does the same exact thing. No mater what I tried. I can't remember weather it was flat or drum armature but it went back into the box for a rainy day ball bearing conversion.
I don't believe oiling the shaft with the motor apart or assembled will make a difference. I really don't think WD-40 caused any damage. Somebody put it there because they were having the same trouble as you and the can says "Stops Squeaks". Maybe I'll try it on the FD. BigGrin
Mikey

To all, and Mikey - PLEASE DO NOT USE wd-40, when it dries it becomes gummy and a negative lubricant. A light oil is much better in all reguards.

Best to all,
Woody
Offline dickinsonj  
#15 Posted : 01 February 2019 17:21:10(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: W3Machinist Go to Quoted Post

To all, and Mikey - PLEASE DO NOT USE wd-40, when it dries it becomes gummy and a negative lubricant. A light oil is much better in all regards.

Best to all,
Woody

Excellent advice. Someone brought me a mechanical clock a while back which was gummed up and would not run. They had taken it to a so called clock repairman who sprayed the entire movement with wd-40. After that stuff dried it left the whole movement frozen and I had to disassemble it all, clean it thoroughly, reassemble it and oil it properly. It has run perfectly ever since.

Many more clocks fail due to over lubrication than from too little oil, and that lesson definitely applies to HO locos as well. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim