Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2019 14:32:07(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hello everyone, maybe this is a silly question but I'll try anyway.

My layout is made with C tracks and a 7186 round table.

Tracks are powered by the ECoS by connecting the leads to the 'B' and 'O' plugs under the track body.
'O' is the ground feed if I'm not mistaken. 'B' is the live feed or bhan.

The light outputs of the white transformer to the 7186 are 'yellow' to the blue control box and 'brown' to the 7186 metal body.

What I would like to know is if the 'B' and 'O' 'current' of the C track connected to the turntable can interfere with the brown cable 'current' that I have connected to the body of the 7186

Apparently all seems to be working fine.
No problems with either the ECoS nor the white transformer.

At the end of the day the 'O' cables are ground connections so they do not share anything.

Correct ?

Thank you
Marco
Offline gwolski  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2019 19:38:38(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone, maybe this is a silly question but I'll try anyway.

My layout is made with C tracks and a 7186 round table.

Tracks are powered by the ECoS by connecting the leads to the 'B' and 'O' plugs under the track body.
'O' is the ground feed if I'm not mistaken. 'B' is the live feed or bhan.

The light outputs of the white transformer to the 7186 are 'yellow' to the blue control box and 'brown' to the 7186 metal body.

What I would like to know is if the 'B' and 'O' 'current' of the C track connected to the turntable can interfere with the brown cable 'current' that I have connected to the body of the 7186

Apparently all seems to be working fine.
No problems with either the ECoS nor the white transformer.

At the end of the day the 'O' cables are ground connections so they do not share anything.

Correct ?

Thank you
Marco

So you basically have two separate circuits here - one digital (from the ECoS) where the two wires carry your track signal. BTW - there is no live wire/ground wire in digital. The second is the analog AC lighting circuit from the transformer used to control the turntable motor. You do not want to connect the two! I don't have a turntable to see how power is passed to the rail segments. Is it simply from the track connectors? If so, track gets digital power so trains can run across them. Can someone with a 7186 connected to its own transformer chime in here? Cheers!

Gene
Gene Wolski
Offline torhb  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2019 18:27:14(UTC)
torhb

Hi.

You should NEVER use a power supply powering a digital controller or booster to supply anything else. Sooner or later you will make a mistake and destroy your controller/booster.

Regard
Tor
Tor Harald Bøhler
Oppegård, Norway
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2019 20:30:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: torhb Go to Quoted Post
You should NEVER use a power supply powering a digital controller or booster to supply anything else. Sooner or later you will make a mistake and destroy your controller/booster.

You are correct, but Marco makes it quite clear that he isn't doing that.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2019 21:12:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: torhb Go to Quoted Post
You should NEVER use a power supply powering a digital controller or booster to supply anything else.
This is correct for newer devices with an "H bridge".
With older equipment like Intellibox, 6020, 6021, 6117, 6015, and such you can connect the transformer ground to the track ground without doing any harm - and actually those devices make that connection internally.

But, as David already mentioned, the use case from the first post is no problem even with modern controllers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline ocram63_uk  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2019 23:45:20(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
So Tom, I should not have any problems.
The turntable track is powered by the C track connected to it, not by the Marklin transfomer that powers the motor.

My concern was on the 2 'ground' connections, 'O' track from ECoS and 'O' from white transformer.

Thank you