Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeterD  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2019 13:51:30(UTC)
PeterD

United States   
First Marklin HO set acquired in 1968 2nd hand, one loco, 5 cars and track. 3 rail AC analog.
Added more track, cars and 2 locos until the 1980s.
Not used much since then.

Loco #3022 electric green (small crocodile), SFCM
Loco #3065 diesel red switcher, DCM
Loco #3084 steam black BR 050, LFCM

1 ac transformer, blue, metal (6001?)
1 ac transformer blue, plastic
1 new unused 6023 controller

Now I want to go digital, in a simple way, not more that 4 engines.

A) is DC required, recommended, or not needed?

B) using my existing never used 6023 controller how does that connect to 3rail track, and is my old ac transformer still needed? Wiring diagram?

C) decoder recommendations?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2019 14:05:09(UTC)
H0

Hi, Peter,
Welcome to the forum.

A) Unclear what you mean with "DC". If you convert your locos to digital, converting to DC motors is recommended.

B) The 6023 needs AC power from a transformer. Connect brown and yellow to the transformer, red and brown to the track.
Radio interference suppressors (capacitors) must be removed from the feeder tracks.

C) Difficult: the 6023 only supports 4 fixed addresses and cannot be used to program modern decoders.
Do you know other MRR fans who could program the decoders for you?
If not, then consider buying an MS2 or another cheap controller to program modern decoders. Probably you will not use the 6023 when you have an MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline PeterD  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2019 14:50:27(UTC)
PeterD

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Peter,
Welcome to the forum.

A) Unclear what you mean with "DC". If you convert your locos to digital, converting to DC motors is recommended.

PD: Thanks, you answered my question. I thought there might be a perfectly viable route to digital control but still keep my locos and track on AC power. But I want to convert the 3 old locos from AC to the 5-rotor motors/magnets so DC power seems the way to go.

B) The 6023 needs AC power from a transformer. Connect brown and yellow to the transformer, red and brown to the track.
Radio interference suppressors (capacitors) must be removed from the feeder tracks.

PD: I just opened my new "in-the-box" 6023 controller and it does have a manual with a wiring diagram, and no 120V power cord. So now I understand that it requires an AC transformer to power it. I will use my ancient 6177 30VA 16V AC transformer.

PD: I assume the 6023 controller supplies DC power to the track for the locos along with the digital control data?

C) Difficult: the 6023 only supports 4 fixed addresses and cannot be used to program modern decoders.
Do you know other MRR fans who could program the decoders for you?
If not, then consider buying an MS2 or another cheap controller to program modern decoders. Probably you will not use the 6023 when you have an MS2.

PD: I don't have local Marklin fans, yet. I will ask around Raleigh NC. I will look for a MS2.

PD: Am I on the right track (so to speak) if I look at the ESU line of decoders line the LokPilot V4.0 for my locos? Given that I may use the older 6023 controller, what do I need to look for in the ESU decoder, MFX, DCC, Trix, MM, V3.0 or V4.0, etc? I just need a simple decoder?

Thanks for the quick advice.

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2019 14:59:55(UTC)
H0

Digital controllers provide bipolar pulsed DC to the track - "bipolar" means it behaves like AC, but it is a square wave, not a sine wave.

The 6023 supports the MM protocol only.
IMHO ESU decoders are a good choice - but you cannot program them with the 6023.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2019 15:12:32(UTC)
Goofy

More simple way to go to the digital of today...throw away the old system and get a new MS2 and the box to connect.
Check here:
www.maerklin.de/de/produkte/details/article/60657
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2019 20:32:05(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
More simple way to go to the digital of today...throw away the old system and get a new MS2 and the box to connect.
Check here:
www.maerklin.de/de/produkte/details/article/60657

Or go for a digital starter set and get all the parts you need for a favourable price. Then you can add decoders and motor parts for your existing locos later...
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kgsjoqvist
Offline rugauger  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2019 21:48:41(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
If you cannot program the decoders with the 6023, then you won't be able to change the addresses (or anything else, for that matter), as mentioned.
How long are you really going to stick with 4 locos, given that the correct number of locos to own is n+1 (where n=the number of locos currently owned) Wink

I'll join the others and suggest investing in a modern system like the MS2. I can also recommend the ESU line of decoders. Your 3022 should have an LFCM motor (mine has); it runs really nice with a HAMO magnet and an ESU decoder.
Richard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rugauger
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2019 21:58:41(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Yes, as is often the case - the way to go depends on some key values for you.
1) Would you get enjoyment out of and want to convert the existing locomotives to digital (which would be replacing motors and installing decoders and the requisite wiring and mods)?
2) Do you have emotional attachment to the existing locos that makes the time and expense of converting them worth it to you?
If yes to those two, then conversion is the way to go.

The conversion path, with the included time to do the work, cost of the parts, and possible issues one may encounter along the way will be more expensive (in terms of money as a measure) than just selling the old analog locos and buying a modern digital loco and controller and its power supply/track box, unless your time needed to do the conversion is $0.

So if your interested in getting some trains going, buy digital controller and locos (can use the existing track and rolling stock).
If your interested in getting THOSE trains going specifically, there are paths forward - others have advised on how to do that.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok