Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mcnall  
#1 Posted : 23 December 2018 19:47:44(UTC)
mcnall

United States   
I have 2 of these in like new condition and they are very good runners with their Faulhaber motors but are not user friendly when taking them apart. Any suggestions for decoder as there really is no space except for behind electronic reversing unit in top of cab and even then I don't know if ESU makes a micro size decoder or if a N scale decoder would work. Thanks for any suggestions. Running my 3 loks in analog w/6046 for now but have installed a Uhlenbrock decoder in my BR89 for reversing purposes. Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone out there ...
Online H0  
#2 Posted : 23 December 2018 20:04:32(UTC)
H0

You no longer need the electronic reversing unit when you install a decoder.
I once converted a Roco loco and it had a bulky reversing unit.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 23 December 2018 21:50:26(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi,

A photo or two will help people in giving you good advice.

As Tom has said, the old reversing unit wil be removed and a decoder, eg lokpilot, or similar, will easily fit in the space made by removing the reversing unit.

Cheers.....

Mike
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 23 December 2018 23:57:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know think that that model came equipped with the 8 pin plug and jumper that could easily be swapped out for a decoder.
Converting to digital will require removing the electronic reverse unit and connecting the decoder leads to the appropriate locations on the circuit board.

The decoder will easily fit into the space formerly taken by the electronic reverse unit. If you want to install sound, there may be insufficient place to install a speaker.

As far as the actual process, I would suggest that you ask Jacques Vuyes if he has any suggestions.

Regards

Mike C