Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Huco  
#1 Posted : 16 December 2018 23:32:20(UTC)
Huco

Australia   
HI all,

Wondering if anyone can tell me what a typical internal temperature for the CS3 might be?
I had an issue the other day where my layout became unresponsive to any input from the control knobs on the CS3. The trains kept going at the last set speed, but I no longer had any control over them. Funnily enough, signals and turnouts were able to be operated using the CS3.

I suspected a short of some kind messing up the control signal, but after a lot of examination couldn't find a cause.
Tried resets, restarts, checked for the latest software update, all to no avail.
Seemed to go away after a long period of shutdown, and now I am unable to replicate the problem.

Im wondering if it might have been an overheat issue with the CS3?
Can other CS3 owners out there tell me what a typical operating internal temperature is for their CS3? I cant find anything in the manuals regards specifications that helps.
I have tried connecting back to the layout, and also with nothing plugged into he CS3 at all, and the internal temp seems stable at about 42 degrees.
Ambient temp in the room is 27degrees.

I didn't check the temp at the time of the problem, nor do I recall what it used to be prior this event.
I would like to know what the normal range of temps should be so I can assure myself there is nothing wrong with the CS3.

Any help from other operators out there would be very much appreciated.

cheers,
hugh
Offline Huco  
#2 Posted : 27 December 2018 21:58:39(UTC)
Huco

Australia   
Hi,
Just to bump this topic back up, and ask if anyone with a CS3 could please share information on the internal temperature of their device.
You can find this by selecting the system page, then the TFP3 page.
From ther you can scroll down and find temperature amongst other parameters.
Thanks in advance. 😀😀
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 27 December 2018 22:43:08(UTC)
Webmaster

Has any of our other CS3 users experienced this issue?

Some software glitches of the CS3 since the introduction have been fixed, and I suspect this is a software thingy too - could the operating temperature measurement logic be an issue for shutting down control of loks?

Don't have a CS3 myself, so I hope members who have a CS3 can help a bit here...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 27 December 2018 23:53:58(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The reason I air-conditioned the train room is that there is so much electronic gear on the layout. I think that you are at risk, when you try to operate anything European designed above 30C ambient temperature. In summer up here that's pretty much every day. Have you noticed that, unlike your laptop computer, there are no fans in these devices? Yet they are really LINUX computers.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 28 December 2018 00:24:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Did you try unplugging and replugging the unit to see whether the problem went away?

Mike C
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 28 December 2018 02:31:15(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
I remember to saw a way to attach heat dissipators and fans to an intellibox.
They are indeed computers and temperature surely can be an issue.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 28 December 2018 04:10:15(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Huco Go to Quoted Post
...and also with nothing plugged into he CS3 at all, and the internal temp seems stable at about 42 degrees.

This temperature is in line with my observations.

While a high temperature might be expected by certain design, the reporting and "RED" status imply an issue (or so I thought)
However, Marklin support were non-committal on the subject.

Your symptom does sound familiar, at least from early last year. I would ensure that you have the latest code as there have been a number of updates to the GFP.

At varying stages (firmware versions) it has been obvious that that detection (mfX and mfx+) logic was one reason for hang causing other functions to appear not to work.
I recall an event early last year where I was chasing this down (reproducing and bisecting - with resultant soft and hard reboots) where the "warm smell" became evident and had me looking at the temperature as either a cause or bi-product

My CS3 gets very little use these days and I do not know if these issues have been addressed or whether it may be that I have learnt not to push the boundaries that lead to them manifesting themselves.
Peter
Offline Huco  
#8 Posted : 28 December 2018 14:09:27(UTC)
Huco

Australia   
Thanks to you all for the responses so far.
Yes I have the latest software version running.
I have tried unplugging the unit and leaving it to cool for several hours. Once it was running again the temperature was back up to a stable 42 degrees, and showing red on the temperature scale.
I have had no further problems but remain unsure as to whether this is a normal indication.
To loose all control of the trains and yet still being able to activate signals and turnouts through the CS3 seems very strange.
I wondered about the lack of cooling fans and have thought about using one of the laptop cooling pads that have built in fans.
Dell make one for about $25,
I should be able to sit the CS3 on this and hopefully observe a reduction in the operating temp. I will report back and let you all know!
Cheers,
Hugh

Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 28 December 2018 19:44:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Hugh

For sure a 42°C internal / board temperature is normal and it is probably not the cause of your problem.
Besides you indicate that digital current is still provided only the controls become non-responsive. The first thing a thermal protection does is to switch off power output
Even though you have the last software version I would suggest to do an online update as this may bring some corrections. Otherwise you may be dealing with a h/w problem.
Cheers

Jean
Offline Huco  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2019 03:30:47(UTC)
Huco

Australia   
Hi Jean,
Thanks for the feedback, I will try updating the software to see if it helps.
It’s good to hear that a temp of 42 degrees is not considered unusual.
Maybe the problem was a one-off and won’t occur again.
I will keep you all posted with any further information that may be of help to someone else.
Cheers,
Hugh