Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Andy McDowell  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2018 12:22:19(UTC)
Andy McDowell

Brazil   
Back in January Corsur posted his version of Noch's Blumenau in a rather neat aluminium briefcase. I already had the winter version of this layout but hadn't got around to finding a proper home for it so inspired by Corsur's work I thought I would adopt the same approach.

Unfortunately I couldn't track one of those cases down in Australia. Suppliers in UK wouldn't ship down under and postage for a case from the US was unbelievable! Fortunately my local electronics store came to the rescue with a range of cheapish (for this type of case) ABS equipment case; these are typically used for transporting cameras or electronic gear about.

The case I got was the perfect size for the Noch board. However, the base of the case has ribs for locating circuit boards and mounting lugs for fixing a control panel to - handy if building something like a portable mixing desk I guess. The mounting lugs are too close to the top of the base to fix the layout board to; the lid wouldn't shut. I was thinking I would need to grind all these fittings out when fortunately I realised there is much simpler solution - turn the case upside down and use the lid as the base.

The lid also had 4 moulded brackets which I need to remove with my dremel. Once out of the way the board just fitted in. The case came with several layers of pickable foam insert (for making custom fittings for cameras and the like); I placed one of these in what is now the base to stop the board sitting too low. I needed to remove two of the previously mentioned mounting lugs from what is now the lid as these fouled the mountain and elevated track leading to the bridge and thus prevented the case from shutting. I left all the others in place as they effectively lock the board in place when the case is shut. So the layout board just rests in the case and can easily be removed if necessary but is secure when the case is shut.

The only other modification I made to the case was to fit two panel mounted multi-pin sockets (the type used for microphone connections) to the back of the (now) base for track power and lighting circuits. I made up a seperate control box using a small plastic case and a Medvend controller I got from ZTrack Center. There are three seperate lighting circuits for

• street lights
  • building lights
  • Christmas lights

So far I've planted lots of trees, added various buildings, put in street lights and various figures (including Santa climbing down a chimney) and added more snow. I have a few more figures to install but essentially it has met with my wife's approval as a Christmas layout/decoration BigGrin

Now for some pictures...

Photo 15-12-18, 17 07 22.jpgPhoto 15-12-18, 17 05 17.jpgPhoto 15-12-18, 17 05 41.jpgPhoto 15-12-18, 17 06 48.jpgPhoto 15-12-18, 17 07 03.jpgPhoto 15-12-18, 17 08 21.jpg

thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Andy McDowell
Offline zscalehobo  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2018 23:48:23(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Looks like you might have room for the Luetke Modellbahn 73235 Christmas Market Set at the left side there in front of the Vollmer 49412 Silent Night Chapel. :D

It's really too bad that Noch 87065 Tannheim is no longer available ... but now the new replacement version is St. Anton, Noch 87015.

Merry Christmas!
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Andy McDowell  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2018 00:40:46(UTC)
Andy McDowell

Brazil   
Thanks Frank

I have got that market kit but haven't got round to making it yet. I was originally going to put it where the chapel now stands but I think you are right and I might still be able to fit the market stalls leading to the chapel.

I had enough trouble finding a case to fit this layout; I think the Noch St Anton board is a bit bigger which might make sourcing a third party case a bit difficult. As an aside; you might notice that I've called my station "Langen am Arlburg" which is actually the next station along the line from St Anton when heading towards Zurich. It doesn't really look much like the real Langen station but it is the nearest to the ski area at Lech and Zurs (also interconnected to the St Anton slopes) which is where I learnt to ski - the backdrop photo on my layout is part of the Lech ski area so Langen seemed an appropriate name.

Have a great Christmas.

Offline PJMärklin  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2018 11:44:39(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Andy McDowell Go to Quoted Post
Back in January Corsur posted his version of Noch's Blumenau in a rather neat aluminium briefcase. I already had the winter version of this layout but hadn't got around to finding a proper home for it so inspired by Corsur's work I thought I would adopt the same approach.

Unfortunately I couldn't track one of those cases down in Australia. Suppliers in UK wouldn't ship down under and postage for a case from the US was unbelievable! Fortunately my local electronics store came to the rescue with a range of cheapish (for this type of case) ABS equipment case; these are typically used for transporting cameras or electronic gear about.

The case I got was the perfect size for the Noch board. However, the base of the case has ribs for locating circuit boards and mounting lugs for fixing a control panel to - handy if building something like a portable mixing desk I guess. The mounting lugs are too close to the top of the base to fix the layout board to; the lid wouldn't shut. I was thinking I would need to grind all these fittings out when fortunately I realised there is much simpler solution - turn the case upside down and use the lid as the base.

The lid also had 4 moulded brackets which I need to remove with my dremel. Once out of the way the board just fitted in. The case came with several layers of pickable foam insert (for making custom fittings for cameras and the like); I placed one of these in what is now the base to stop the board sitting too low. I needed to remove two of the previously mentioned mounting lugs from what is now the lid as these fouled the mountain and elevated track leading to the bridge and thus prevented the case from shutting. I left all the others in place as they effectively lock the board in place when the case is shut. So the layout board just rests in the case and can easily be removed if necessary but is secure when the case is shut.

The only other modification I made to the case was to fit two panel mounted multi-pin sockets (the type used for microphone connections) to the back of the (now) base for track power and lighting circuits. I made up a seperate control box using a small plastic case and a Medvend controller I got from ZTrack Center. There are three seperate lighting circuits for

• street lights
  • building lights
  • Christmas lights

So far I've planted lots of trees, added various buildings, put in street lights and various figures (including Santa climbing down a chimney) and added more snow. I have a few more figures to install but essentially it has met with my wife's approval as a Christmas layout/decoration BigGrin

Wonderful work Andy.

What a lovely Christmas layout!

Best Wishes for Christmas,

PJ
Offline Andy McDowell  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2018 07:48:32(UTC)
Andy McDowell

Brazil   
Thanks PJ

Merry Christmas

Andy
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Andy McDowell