Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 13 December 2018 16:03:26(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Has Marklin done a class 44 with the C sine/SDS drive and MFX sound? I want to get one of M's engines with this drive, used to have one of the 39103 class 01.10 locomotives and loved how it ran and the unique drive. But this time I want a heavy freight engine with the 3 cylinder sound.
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2018 16:59:26(UTC)
H0

Märklin never made a BR 44 with C Sine or SDS motor.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2018 18:37:26(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Thank you for the reply. I ended up buying a Long Henry set from a local shop just a few min ago. The beginnings of a new HO scale layout. Pics soon of the benchwork, I made some progress the last couple days cleaning up the train room. Mike the Aspie
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2018 22:47:14(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Maybe check out Rocos BR44's for Marklin 3 rail. Unfortunately all of Marklins BR44's have the old style DCM motor which is noisy and takes up the cabin space.

Alternatively if you want an even bigger heavy freight engine from Marklin, check out the BR45's. Bigger than the 44's and with MFX/sound and quiet motor. Items 37452/37453/37455. The original (37450) is not MFX/full sound though.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 14 December 2018 21:39:15(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Märklin never made a BR 44 with C Sine or SDS motor.

Hopefully marklin new model with five pole flywheels in 2019 or later.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 14 December 2018 22:57:21(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Maybe check out Rocos BR44's for Marklin 3 rail. Unfortunately all of Marklins BR44's have the old style DCM motor which is noisy and takes up the cabin space.

I beg to differ from my own experiences.... Smile

The Roco Br44 I have (tender drive & a cardan driving the main wheels, excellent 5-pole motor in the tender) managed to shear that cardan axle gear connection to the loco main body and deadlock it, causing a burnt decoder and a diminished my faith in the mechanical construction regarding the concept of it... Crying

To silence a DCM motor almost completely and make it virtually maintenance free, you can make a ball-bearing conversion which has been discussed in the forum earlier...
Older 5-pole DCM motor locos can also benefit from a decoder upgrade since the mfx decoders use a higher pulse frequency to drive the motor (as ESU decoders have done since the beginning) ...

I plan to do such DCM conversions during the Christmas holidays and will take at least a Delta loco as well as a "6090" loco along with me during this adventure... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Dave Banks  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2018 23:04:26(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Juhan I share your sentiments with regards to Roco tender driven cardan shaft propulsion. I do not like them either. So your not alone on that issue. I do enjoy Roco electric / diesel three rail locos with Zimo sound.Cool
D.A.Banks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2018 00:14:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post

I beg to differ from my own experiences.... Smile

The Roco Br44 I have (tender drive & a cardan driving the main wheels, excellent 5-pole motor in the tender) managed to shear that cardan axle gear connection to the loco main body and deadlock it, causing a burnt decoder and a diminished my faith in the mechanical construction regarding the concept of it... Crying

To silence a DCM motor almost completely and make it virtually maintenance free, you can make a ball-bearing conversion which has been discussed in the forum earlier...
Older 5-pole DCM motor locos can also benefit from a decoder upgrade since the mfx decoders use a higher pulse frequency to drive the motor (as ESU decoders have done since the beginning) ...

I plan to do such DCM conversions during the Christmas holidays and will take at least a Delta loco as well as a "6090" loco along with me during this adventure... Smile

So do you like more DCM motors or mfx-mSD/3 decoders or both together? Cool

Which motor then will you recommend for a change?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 15 December 2018 05:04:09(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

So do you like more DCM motors or mfx-mSD/3 decoders or both together? Cool

Which motor then will you recommend for a change?

jojo, sb-modellbau of courseCool Cool Cool
In the meantime a 5 pole kit with ball bearings driven by a ESU M4 decoder is just fine for me.
Have not yet tested the new mSD3
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Dave Banks  
#10 Posted : 15 December 2018 05:16:41(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Personally I like the DCM motors with High propulsion as they are reliable & easy to service / repair. To make them a lot quieter the ball bearing solution is available. I have no problem with can type motors. Loco runs nice & silently & if it does pack up your not going to pay an arm & leg for it's replacement. I have no issues with the original C-Sinus motors & all the locos that I have with them in haven't to date given me any issues. However I am not a fan of the compact Sinus motor & have sent one of my locos back with issues. It would only run once given a help along. That was Marklin #39383 "Taurus Adria". Some issue with the board Cursing . With regards to decoders 95% of my Loco's are using ESU lokpilot / Loksound v3.5 & Loksound V4.0 decoders. I don't have many new generation Marklin decoders. We that is my personal two cents worth. I am sure others can relate their experiences & decoder/motors of choice.
D.A.Banks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline artfull dodger  
#11 Posted : 15 December 2018 17:17:31(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I am guessing they have kept the DCM set up due to the chassis design with the "give" joint in the middle. To squeeze a decent size can type motor, gear box and hopefully retain having all drive axles geared to save on side rod wear, would require some really clever engineering. I would have thought a modified frame would have been done to transverse mount a C sine motor where the DCM is now, but it must not been possible. Although they do that with the 01 and 03 pacifics. I will find me one of the 01 class engines with the C sine motor soon. Need to get my layout built and find the add on set of cars for my long henry ore train, along with the helper engine. Mike the Aspie
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 15 December 2018 17:48:39(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, here you have an option for the old BR44

https://www.sb-modellbau...aerklin-BR-44-flat-rotor

And for the newer model, this will require much more work and expertise

https://www.sb-modellbau...klin-BR-044_BR-44_BR-043

Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 15 December 2018 18:38:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The new Br50 and Br42 models use can-type motors very successfully on a similar chassis, so I guess the Br44 will be next on the list for modernization.

I find the DCM motors noisy and rough, which can be alleviated with a bit of butchery and the right tools, but what you can't fix is how bulky they are. Because of their bulk the steam loco models fitted with DCM motors always have some compromises to get the motor to fit. Usually this entails losing space in the cab and adding "bulges" on the sides of the firebox.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline artfull dodger  
#14 Posted : 20 December 2018 02:38:21(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
On the newer 2-10-0 loks with the can type motors, are all the driver axle geared together with spur gears as in the past? Or do those models rely on the side rods to transmit motion from the geared axle much like any other model on the market. Marklin has long retained the spur gear drive that made every driver axle geared to the motor and the side rods were just along for the ride. This was a plus in my book as I tend to put long hours on models and have wore out side rods on other brands from lots of use, even with keeping the side rods lubricated. I had a high hour class 44, a 3047, that ran nearly as silent as a can motored model might run. The gears were so "run in" that the typical gear noise was almost gone at normal running speeds. Yes my Langer Heinrich class 44 has gear noise, but with the run time she will get once the main line is complete, I will live with the noise to have all the drivers geared to the DCM motor. As far as rough, only on the noise side from the spur gears, on speed notch 1 on my Intellibox, she will creep along and I can count the sleepers as she goes so slow and its very smooth motion wise. And if that old 3047 is any evidence, lots of run time will quite down those gears a bit. Mike the Aspie
Offline ShannonN  
#15 Posted : 20 December 2018 07:03:54(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   

Loves Marklin, goes on holidays, take his trains with Him! Yeah!BigGrin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 20 December 2018 17:12:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ShannonN Go to Quoted Post

Loves Marklin, goes on holidays, take his trains with Him! Yeah!BigGrin

Be calling him Mr Marklin Stewart next Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 20 December 2018 18:16:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
On the newer 2-10-0 loks with the can type motors, are all the driver axle geared together with spur gears as in the past?
No, of course not. That would be way too expensive.
Even on the #30000 only one axle is driven by cog wheels, the other axles are driven by rods. And the current DHG 500 and DHG 700 locos only have one powered axle.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#18 Posted : 20 December 2018 21:03:32(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, you will have a new tooling BR44 next year...