Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JoergK.  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2018 15:57:29(UTC)
JoergK.

Canada   
Hello All,

My name is Jörg (Joerg on a non-English keyboard). I am new to this forum.

I am getting back to H0 after being absent for about 20 some years. The setup I have from my father is around 1990 scenario. All 21 loco's are digital. All tracks are M. I am planning to setup a large system, 7' x 20'.

The new CS stations come from E100-E800, where do I start? Which station should I buy.

Thanks, Jörg
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2018 16:31:19(UTC)
H0

Hi, Jörg,
Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: JoergK. Go to Quoted Post
The new CS stations come from E100-E800, where do I start? Which station should I buy.
Study the specifications to eliminate some stations from the list, then get your hands on the remaining stations and make your decision.

We had dozens of threads about this question and I do not see new information coming in this thread.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dreadnought  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2018 01:22:04(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I went digital about 8 years ago. I started slowly with a Mobile Station (MS)to get a feel for what I liked. I then bought a CS 2. It was about a year on the market when I got it. When you get a CS you have to get a transformer to match it. This can be complicated . The size of your layout can dictate how many may be needed. My layout is relatively small so one does it.

The CS 3 has two versions. I am afraid I do not know much about it. I believe the more expensive one ie set up to connect to a computer.
I am very happy with my CS 2. I enjoy my trains much more with it. My old MS is plugged into the CS.
I hope this helps.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Dreadnought  
#4 Posted : 25 November 2018 01:23:05(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
P.S. Welcome to the forum
Offline JoergK.  
#5 Posted : 25 November 2018 01:47:19(UTC)
JoergK.

Canada   
Hello Dreadnought, thank you very much for your helpful comments. I will do more searches and probably start with the CS2. I have bought many k83's in the past years to change all electric switches etc. to electronic control.

I am aware of using the right transformer. BTW, the German 220 VAC 50Hz transformer should work with our 220VAC 60Hz since all is transformed to DC.

BTW, how many Loco's can you store in your CS2? Somewhere I read that it can only holds 11, is that correct?

I found this comment:
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Good news: there is an update for Central Station 2 available. With this update 4.2 the CS2 is able to control locomotives with up to 32 functions. Also available: further new driver cabins for mfx modus. Please find further information in the enclosed document. The update is ready for download by USB stick on our website as well as on the server, which can be connected directly from the CS2.

But that is 32 unctions for each loco, correct? Not 32 loco's.

This is a lot of new digital knowledge for an old railhead.

Joerg
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 25 November 2018 02:54:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello Dreadnought, thank you very much for your helpful comments. I will do more searches and probably start with the CS2. I have bought many k83's in the past years to change all electric switches etc. to electronic control.

I am aware of using the right transformer. BTW, the German 220 VAC 50Hz transformer should work with our 220VAC 60Hz since all is transformed to DC.

BTW, how many Loco's can you store in your CS2? Somewhere I read that it can only holds 11, is that correct?

I found this comment:
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Good news: there is an update for Central Station 2 available. With this update 4.2 the CS2 is able to control locomotives with up to 32 functions. Also available: further new driver cabins for mfx modus. Please find further information in the enclosed document. The update is ready for download by USB stick on our website as well as on the server, which can be connected directly from the CS2.

But that is 32 unctions for each loco, correct? Not 32 loco's.

This is a lot of new digital knowledge for an old railhead.

Joerg

Why a CS 2 and not immediately a CS 3? A CS 3 is much better than a CS 2, especially you got plenty of k83 decoders already. As @H0 mentioned already via the search function you will find many threads about comparison of CS 2, CS 3 and other controllers.

The 32 functions relate to the functions of the decoder in the loco, what he can do for you. The decoder must offer the possibility for using these 32 functions. This you have to look up loco by loco, either in Märklins database or locos manual. There you find the possibilities of a loco decoder, like toggel lights, sound, pipes, bells, smoke, etc..

Do not know as many locos you want to store in a CS 2. In a CS 3 I did not read about any limit yet. On the screen you see up to 28 locos. If you have more than 28 locos, the CS 3 creates more and more pages with 28 locos. For each page it shows at the bottom of the screen a little white strip, which tells you as many pages of locos you have setted up.

These 11 locos you are writing, relates to an MS 2 only. But you always thinking to get a CS 2 or CS 3. Absolutly different controllers. BTW your set up of locos with a CS 2, CS 3 or MS 2 is unlimited, if you are using loco cards. Only Märklin offers you these loco cards.

For more explanations I highly recommend to you the Märklin book art#03092

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/
https://www.maerklin.de/...digital/digitalbuch-cs3/

This book is in English available. If you are undestanding German as well, then I can recommend another book (art# 03070) to you too:

https://www.maerklin.de/...al/wiedereinsteigerbuch/

There was also a book for the CS 2, but this one is sold out and was never available in English.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ieg-in-maerklin-digital/
Offline Dreadnought  
#7 Posted : 25 November 2018 04:14:22(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I have around 40 locomotives on my CS 2. It may be more. There are three screens of locomotives. As I get a new locomotive it automatically creates a new screen as needed. Some have more than 16 functions, ie the SNCF 241 I got last fall. The CS 2 seems to adapt.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#8 Posted : 25 November 2018 09:08:08(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
The CS 3 has two versions. I am afraid I do not know much about it. I believe the more expensive one ie set up to connect to a computer.

I am afraid you are guessing wrong here. The CS3 Plus has a plug for feedback modules and you can use it as an additional booster, should you be lucky enough to have more than one. Both CS3's can connect to a computer.

As for Jörg:
If you are in the market for CS go for the CS3. Do not limit yourself with old equipment. If you already had a CS2 I might tell you to wait until the CS3 gets a feature that you really want. But when you start from scratch, don't consider the older stuff.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline sjlauritsen  
#9 Posted : 25 November 2018 09:17:32(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I agree with MaerklinLife and TEEWolf. Consider a CS3.

Personally when starting from nothing I would go for the new stuff. The CS is not "just a controller" it can be considered a computer. And you don't go out and buy a 10 year old computer. The CS2 is about 10 years old, it has received a bunch of updates in the past few years which has given it some very cool features, but it is SLOOOOOW and after I have been using a CS3 for a period of time, I just hate waiting for my CS2 to come online and what not. I thought I would be using it as a second controller, but it is almost never on any more.

Don't expect Märklin to keep updating the CS2 with new features. There is a hardware limit and a time limit. Their focus is clearly on the CS3.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline sjlauritsen  
#10 Posted : 25 November 2018 09:22:47(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
In a CS 3 I did not read about any limit yet. On the screen you see up to 28 locos. If you have more than 28 locos, the CS 3 creates more and more pages with 28 locos. For each page it shows at the bottom of the screen a little white strip, which tells you as many pages of locos you have setted up.

I can tell you that it will take 2000 locos with ease. I did a test where I wrote a script that would add any given number of locos to a CS3 backup file. I added 2000 locos to see how it would deal with that. It had no problems.

The only thing I did notice was that the paging of the loco list does not deal very well with that many locos. The small "page dots" that you use to scroll through the pages becomes very small. The search feature is definitely your friend in this case. Again, the search is fast and it easily finds the loco you are looking for.

I would say that when you get over a 1000 locos, the page dots becomes a problem. Other than that, nothing.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 25 November 2018 11:43:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
My CS2 has been fine for years and if you can get one then it should be OK. however I will be getting a CS3 and if you want to keep up to date then go for a CS3 or CS3 Plus. If you are using S88s then I would go for the CS3 PLus which does not require the extras needed for the CS3 to use S88s.
As said you can load plenty of locos.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline PMPeter  
#12 Posted : 25 November 2018 15:54:20(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   

Joerg

Since you are in Alberta, I am not sure why you state "our 220VAC 60Hz". Our Canadian voltage is 120 V 60 Hz except for special plugs for things such as ranges that are indeed connected across 2 poles to 240 V 60 Hz. For a model railroad setup in Canada it is best to go with a proper 120 VAC power supply.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline JohnjeanB  
#13 Posted : 25 November 2018 23:17:39(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jörg

Welcome to the Forum.

I have a CS2 and it is very good but as many friends here already wrote, a CS2 is too old to start with it (discontinued since end 2015).
You need be carefull with the 2nd hand market as only 60215 are worth the purchase and not more that 250 USD (older models may pose problems)

Almost all "Central Units" (CS2, CS3) required a switched power supply (and not a transformer) especially on CS3 it is mandatory. The benefit is the valtage is regulated. It means that when suddenly many trains start, there is no voltage drop (no slowing down of your locos).

I run my layout with a 100W power supply (Märklin 60101) and with the appropriate wiring (0.75mm² minimum) then there are no problems and I don't need using additional boosters to run my 32 locomotives and lighted trains. Sadly for North American voltage it is not available I think).
Enjoy your trains.
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Dreadnought  
#14 Posted : 25 November 2018 23:51:56(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Does this mean I have to scrap my reliable CS 2? A new CS 3, and power source?
Then I have to reload all my locomotives into a new system.
This is the worst railroad news since the end of the steam engine!!!😢
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 26 November 2018 01:33:55(UTC)
TEEWolf

Is there now a new thread opened within an existing other one?
Quote:
This is the worst railroad news since the end of the steam engine!!!
ThumbDown Cursing
Offline JohnjeanB  
#16 Posted : 26 November 2018 11:25:47(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi Mr DreadnougtBigGrin

The CS2 (especially later model 60215) is a very good and appreciated unit. On ebay in Germany they sell from 350 to 450 €. Some functionalities of the CS2 are not yet replicated on the CS3 (decoder programing). This is what I use together with a PC control and Rocrail.

IMO if your unit is still good there is no rush to replace it now (remember Märklin has still to finish their developments and possibly come with an improved hardware release. This is definitely what happened to the CS2, 2 years after its introduction.

Cheers

Jean
Offline JoergK.  
#17 Posted : 30 November 2018 03:40:44(UTC)
JoergK.

Canada   
Hello All,

Just a quick 'thank you' for the information you provide.

Joerg