Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2018 18:24:58(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi all,

I have a Marklin 76493 In signal that has Hp0, Hp1, and Hp2 aspects. I am having a devil of a time, however, understanding how to enable Hp2 when using my PC-based automation program (iTrain). This is also a problem using a Marklin Hobby warning signal with 4 aspects. I have been dealing with a very nice individual on the iTrain users forum who is trying to help me out, however we seem to have some language issues and I suspect I am not understanding something fundamental. I hope someone here can clear up my confusion. BTW, although I'm using iTrain, I suspect the issues I'm having would apply to the other apps out there.

First, I programmed the signal using the programming track on my CS3 and MFX. I did not touch the dip switches at all, thus MFX was enabled. I told the CS3 to search for MFX items and it found the 76493 and assigned it address 18. Using my CS3, everything works great. From my iTrain app, I can control Hp0 and Hp1 very nicely using address 18. Not so with Hp1.

This is where I think I'm missing something fundamental about the newer Marklin signals. From this thread below, I believe that two addresses are required, with the second address controlling Hp2.

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t39187-764xx-and-763xx-signals

From one of clapcott's posts in the thread:
Quote:

As an example, using the 76496 out of the box and setting the DIP switches, this becomes the Base address and the decoder will (by default) occupy the next 3 consecutive addresses as well
- The first pair (2 addresses = Base address and Base+1) allow the 4 aspects of the Home masthead to be set.
- The 2nd pair (3rd (Base+2) and 4th (Base+3) ) allow for the 3 VR aspects of the distant masthead.

So, if I understand correctly, if MFX assigns address 18 to my signal, I should be able to control Hp2 on my 76493 (that is set to address 18) by using address 19, no? This is the way it should work?

The problem with the Hobby signal (74380) is I believe more complicated. It is connected to an M84 decoder that is capable of controlling 4 Hobby signals according to the docs. The M84 is MFX capable and the CS3 assigns it an initial address, so if the initial address is 5, then the addresses are 5, 6, 7, and 8. The 74380 connects to one port on the M84 and uses one address only - let's say it's address 5. Again, from the CS3, it works just fine. And, from my iTrain app, I am able to control Vr0, Vr1 using address 5, but not Vr2 and Vr3. If I use the same reasoning for the 7649x signal, I must use a separate address such as 6. But I can't see how to do this given that the 74380 connects to only one port on the M84.

I am a bit lost with this. Can anyone clear up my confusion?

Thank you, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2018 18:51:58(UTC)
H0

Hi, John,

The Hobby signal only has 2 aspects (according to the product database), namely Vr0 and Vr1, So only one address is needed.
For more aspects you would need more wires going to another port on the m84.
But by design those hobby signals are limited to two aspects (AFAIK using two wires only).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2018 19:18:27(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, John,

The Hobby signal only has 2 aspects (according to the product database), namely Vr0 and Vr1, So only one address is needed.
For more aspects you would need more wires going to another port on the m84.
But by design those hobby signals are limited to two aspects (AFAIK using two wires only).

Hi Tom -

Thanks for the reply. You are right, this is what the product page says, but the 74380 has 4 aspects: Hp0 is all yellow, Hp1 is all green, Hp2 is green/yellow, and Hp4 is dark - lights off. On the CS3's console, it is possible to cycle through all aspects. How this works with one address assigned, I do not know. This is where I am confused.

I should address this question, for anyone wondering: why in the heck am I using Marklin signals on my layout when iTrain is controlling everything? The signals on my layout are indeed cosmetic, but as much as possible I would like the lights on the signals to change color as they should, depending on where a train is and so forth. I'm using the Hobby signals because they are cheap and because I already have two M84 units. I do have one other more expensive signal, the 76493, which has its own decoder. I've considered using Viessmann signals but at this point I'm already too invested in the Hobby/M84 approach.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 07 November 2018 20:38:29(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
How this works with one address assigned, I do not know. This is where I am confused.
I bet it used 2 addresses under the hood. For signals with three or mode aspects and for three-way turnouts you need more than one address.
I assume selecting such a signal or turnout will automatically activate the second address internally.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 07 November 2018 20:44:59(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
..., but the 74380 has 4 aspects: Hp0 is all yellow, Hp1 is all green, Hp2 is green/yellow, and Hp4 is dark - lights off. On the CS3's console, it is possible to cycle through all aspects. How this works with one address assigned, I do not know. This is where I am confused.

Umm - the 74380 is a distance signal mast - Vr vs Hp.

I am curious about the Vr2 display - is this one green and one yellow lamp , or all four lamps on at once (not a true Vr2).

To me it sounds like you have your m84 set to a 8 port mode of operation or individual port mode with toggle
This would allow both Red and Green outputs (of a m84 "port pair") to be on at the same time - or off at the same time

However! my 74380 (4yrs+ old) does not behave this way - when both Red and Green are on on the m84, ALL signal lights are off.
If your item is a newer variant (maybe in line with the 2017 re-release of the profi signals), maybe this is an undocumented feature

Edited by user 08 November 2018 00:15:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2018 00:26:08(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
My apologies for replying much later than is polite - short story is I had a bad cold that wiped me out. Now back on my feet, I owe everyone an apology. My 74380 behaves as it should and it is indeed ONLY Vr0 and Vr1, either all green or all yellow. I'm thinking that I must have gotten confused when watching the computer display while running iTrain, which will show all possible combinations for the signal. I had to apologize to the iTrain people as well :-).

BTW, Peter refers to the 74380 as a distance signal, and that is exactly how Marklin refers to it. iTrain calls it a warning signal, as do some other references. The world of signalling is a new one to me, but I'm gradually learning.

I really do, very much, appreciate the help of you all, who have patiently put up with newer Marklin users such as myself. Apart from my childhood analogue days, I have been dealing with Marklin digital etc. for about 18 months and am finally beginning to understand how things work. Marklin does not make it easy. However, the kindness of people on this forum greatly helps.

Thank you to all, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack