Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Meceva  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2018 10:33:39(UTC)
Meceva

United Kingdom   
5B7DAD72-9C5C-4798-BCED-3106DE6BBFD7.jpegD977C245-CD02-462F-9DA8-335E706EC947.jpeg5667B224-C94C-44B7-98D8-CA907055F2E4.jpegGood morning everyone,
I am unfortunately a Meccano collector in need of help and so selfishly registered as a member. Don’t think badly of me Blushing
I recently acquired a 1930’s collection of meccano and amongst my purchase I found some very cute items which would appear to be Marklin although not marked as such.
These items include a Bandsaw, Drill, Benchsaw and a tin plate something or otherBigGrin
I have checked various websites and have seen items which look similar but not exactly the same, so not sure if they are Marklin or some other German toy manufacturer.
The seller said that these were purchased in Germany and that they were prewar, I have no idea as to the date.
So after my long winded explanation, which I expect you have all fallen asleep, I now look to the Greater Marklin family for their considerable expertise in finding out what these little cuties are.
I will now attempt to attach photos, if I am unsuccessful then my profile pic is of the said items. No I haven’t got a face like a benchsawBigGrin BigGrin
Regards to you all and I hope you will be able to help me. You never know I may well change my allegiance from Meccano to Marklin.
Mimi

Edited by user 05 November 2018 11:12:43(UTC)  | Reason: Added photographs

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Meceva
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 04 November 2018 10:50:39(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi Mimi,

Meccano is fine, don't forget that Märklin manufactured for Meccano pre-War and Märklin-Metall is near-identical.

Re your models, Märklin are very proud of their trademark and it's usually easy to find their logo on an item (except ironically on Metallbaukasten!), it would be nice if M-M was stamped similarly.

The image in your avatar is too small to make out any detail so if you can post larger images from a few angles, underside included I'm sure we'll be able to help further.

Cheers.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2018 10:53:22(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

You can attach a full-size picture just by clicking on the paper-clip and choosing the picture from your local drive. while editing your contribution.

What I can see from the small pictures really looks like Märklin. But the Meccano-compatible base-plates are home-made. Märklin never sold these machines like MAMOD with such base-plates.

Regards

Markus
Offline Meceva  
#4 Posted : 04 November 2018 11:51:01(UTC)
Meceva

United Kingdom   
Thank you for getting back so quickly.
I have tried several times to upload pictures but not having any joy. The pictures are shown in the upload box but are not downloading for some reason. Obviously I have done something wrong!!!!
Shall I post a new topic with the same heading and try again to upload pictures.
Sorry to be a pain.
Regards
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2018 12:32:55(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Mimi,

The saws and the drilling machine were made by DOLL in the 1930s. Doll was an important manufacturer of steam engines and machinery before WWII. It was Jewish- owned and during the "aryanization" in 1938 the owner was forced by the Nazis to sell his company to Fleischmann. More about Doll in German: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doll_%26_Co. (Google may help translating).

The hammer-mill was made by HESS: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthias_Hess

But the Meccano-compatible base-plates are nothing known to be available from the factory. I think they were made by a tin-artist.

To find more informations the German words may help:
drilling-machine: Bohrmaschine Bohrwerk
band-saw: Bandsäge
circular saw: Kreissäge
hammer-mill: Hammerwerk

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild