Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShannonN  
#1 Posted : 02 November 2018 05:55:31(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   

The Great Goodbye at Locomotion, the National Railway Museums annexe in Shildon, County Durham, was the last NRM event to bring together all six surviving Gresley A4 Pacific locomotives in a year of celebrations commemorating the 75th anniversary of 4468 Mallard setting the world speed record for steam traction.

Three of the six still run. This film shows 4464 Bittern on her way and getting settled at Shildon. The weather was too awful (for me anyway) to go and film 60009 Union of South Africa arriving with Mallard and 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley managed to evade the attention of the website that was supposed to be following it and got there before I even left the house but there's some footage of the preparations then all three runners on brake-van rides during the event.

Websites
Locomotion: http://www.nrm.org.uk/locomotion
The National Railway Museum: http://www.nrm.org.uk
The Sir Nigel Gresley Locomotive Preservation Trust: http://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk
The Gresley Society: http://www.gresley.org
The LNER Encyclopedia: http://www.lner.info

If the note at the beginning about Darlington Railway Museum (a.k.a. Head of Steam) got your attention read on. North Road Station was built by the Stockton and Darlington Railway in 1842 and much expanded during the next 30 or so years. The building is owned by Darlington Borough Council and has housed Darlington Railway Centre and Museum since 1975. The Museum is the current home of George Stephenson's Locomotion Number One, built for the Stockton and Darlington Railway and the locomotive on the first steam-hauled passenger train in 1825.

Visitor numbers are low. In all candor a lack of publicity and Darlington Council renaming it after a pub' chain might have something to do with it- "Darlington Railway Museum" is self explanatory but Google "head of steam" and see what you get. The upshot is that the Council has made the decision to withdraw its funding from April 2016.

Nobody is suggesting that the Museum deserves a free ride but it ought not need one. The Stockton and Darlington Railway was the world's first modern railway (no matter what a few people in Manchester would have you believe) and the Museum is in one of the S&DR's station buildings- it should be a magnet for rail enthusiasts. The Friends of Darlington Railway Centre and Museum will be trying to gain the Museum the attention and the visitors it deserves over the next couple of years. You can help by being one of those visitors.

If you need convincing surf to:
Darlington Railway Centre and Museum: http://www.head-of-steam.co.uk
The Friends of Darlington Railway Centre and Museum: http://www.friendsofdrcm.org

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 02 November 2018 12:42:13(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

The UK pacific steamers are very nice in my opinion. Specially the LNER ones (A1, A2, A3 and A4).
I like a lot these A4s. Specially the dark blue livery of the "Sir Nigel Gresley".

There are several youtube videos on the gathering of the A4s and last week I saw several of them.

Relative to HO models, they seem to only exist in 00 which is a lot different (for example a 25 meters locomotive will be 32.9 cm in 00 and 28.7 in HO - more than 4 cm), and also only for 2 rails.
I would like Märklin to produce the A4s (already wrote it long ago in this forum), but it is probably a difficult decision to Märklin, starting with producing it in H0 or 00...

The Mallard is now easy to find as they are celebrating 80th anniversary of the world speed record. The "Sir Nigel Gresley" seems not to be so easy to find currently in 00.
The "Sam's Trains" youtube channel has lots of videos on UK steamers and of course lots of Hornby.

In 0 gauge Golden Age Models has superb A4s (and much more) but at a price that is only for some. The Danish Heljan seems will produce them at a much more acceptable cost (not cheap anyway).

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 02 November 2018 13:51:07(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: ShannonN Go to Quoted Post
The Great Goodbye at Locomotion, the National Railway Museums annexe in Shildon, County Durham, was the last NRM event to bring together all six surviving Gresley A4 Pacific locomotives in a year of celebrations commemorating the 75th anniversary of 4468 Mallard setting the world speed record for steam traction.

Three of the six still run. This film shows 4464 Bittern on her way and getting settled at Shildon. The weather was too awful (for me anyway) to go and film 60009 Union of South Africa arriving with Mallard and 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley managed to evade the attention of the website that was supposed to be following it and got there before I even left the house but there's some footage of the preparations then all three runners on brake-van rides during the event.

Thank you for this.
The A4 are for me the most elegant steam locos ever build and very efficient too.
A little bit like the Spitfire or the Rolls Royce of the rails...Wink

Cheers

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 02 November 2018 14:41:12(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Purely an anecdote but I used to know the record breaking bit of line well, commuting daily from Grantham to Kings Cross a few years back (someone else paid!). At high speed on a bright sunny morning in deep snow it was special. Then came some accidents and the maximum speeds were reduced.

I have a trailer for garden rubbish that was made in Little Bytham, close to the bridge where I understand the speed measurements were taken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Bytham

The original Gresley coaches are interesting, I don't know if any still exist.

There is a real elegance to these machines, OK so the SNCF 241 Mountain is a very impressive thing but all that external plumbing? Looks worse than the wiring on an old Alfa Romeo.

Spitfires? A common sight around here, you can buy an hour up in one for a few thousand pounds.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 02 November 2018 17:06:24(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post

Spitfires? A common sight around here, you can buy an hour up in one for a few thousand pounds.

You're near Duxford?
You make me jealous! Wink
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2018 17:32:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

When was this event?

Offline ShannonN  
#7 Posted : 02 November 2018 17:53:00(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

When was this event?

2013 on the 75th anniversary of the world record attempt in 1938