Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JoeB  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2018 01:22:22(UTC)
JoeB

United States   
I'm going to have a track seperate from my main layout that will run down the center of my city. I want to have the loco go to one end of the run and automatically reverse direction, travel the other end, stop and reverse direction and continue this operation back and forth. I have the CS3 and was wondering what would be the best way to accomplish this. Thanks
Offline Johnvr  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2018 05:47:47(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi,

I have the CS2 but I'm sure the CS3 has the same Shuttle Train feature.

You use a circuit track at either end of the track section where you want to run back and forth.
You connect the circuit tracks at each end to a s88 port.
On the CS3, you create a Shuttle Train with a stop from each of the two s88 end points, and a waiting time at each end.

Regards
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Mmagda  
#3 Posted : 09 November 2018 23:23:26(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Hello, I want to do the same kind of shuttle train but for the past week I have tried and tried and didn't work.

I have a CS1 mit Update, two 24994 C Track and S88 (6088).

The wiring is as follows:

Wiring.jpg

I have tried all possible combinations (even illogical ones... :( ) I.E
Modul 1-Port 1/Modul 1-Port 2
Modul 1-Port 1/Modul 1-Port 3
Modul 1-Port 1/Modul 1-Port 4
Modul 1-Port 2/Modul 1-Port 3
and so on...

But nothing works. I am running out of ideas... what am I doing wrong?...

I don't know this guy's secret (except that he is using a Viessmann S88 decoder) but the same wiring seems to work for him...
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2018 23:30:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
All you need is a single wire from the contact track to the S88. One end to port 1 and the other to port two. Then go to the shuttle on the CS2 and enter port one and port two leaving the middle stop at zero.

The instructions with the contact track show how to wire it for the correct direction of travel.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Mmagda  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2018 23:45:49(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
You mean something like this?

Wiring 1.jpg

And what do you mean by
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Then go to the shuttle on the CS2 and enter port one and port two leaving the middle stop at zero..

All I see is this:

CS1.jpeg

Thank you!

L.E. I've just tried it. It's not working. seems like the CS is just ignoring the circuit tracks... How can i check if the CS actually "sees" and receiver feedback from the s88 module?
Offline Johnvr  
#6 Posted : 10 November 2018 09:25:19(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello

The diagram looks correct
(except a minor note that the wire from the circuit track at station 2 should be direction travelling right instead of direction left)

Test your circuit tracks by setting up an accessory (eg signal or turnout) and activating the accessory from the circuit tracks.
Make sure that both circuit tracks work by eg. setting the signal to RED with one circuit track and GREEN with the other circuit track.

Also try setting the waiting time on the Shuttle Train screen to about 10 seconds.
Does that work ?

Regards BigGrin
John

Offline Mmagda  
#7 Posted : 10 November 2018 09:29:06(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Hello,

Indeed the drawing shows both left wires (my bad) but in reality I used the left wire and the right wire (according to the direction)

I tested both circuit tracks with a light bulb and they both work.

I set up the waiting time to 10 seconds.

Nothing happens. I must be going crazy...
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 10 November 2018 11:45:32(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
We started with a CS3 and now a CS1. I have a CS2 but presumed the CS3 would work in the same way.

Might be good if somebody with a CS1 could help. The last diagram above is correct for me. Make sure the wires to the contact track are correct and your loco is correctly set up for shuttle.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Mmagda  
#9 Posted : 10 November 2018 12:21:47(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
I've tried 5 different locos, I followed exatcly the procedures written in the manual ( select loco > accelerate till the desired speed > push STOP > select shuttle train > push GO)
Is there a special loco programing that I must do?
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 10 November 2018 13:01:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You need to programme the loco with the contact numbers on the S88 in order that it knows where to stop and start etc.
Offline Mmagda  
#11 Posted : 10 November 2018 13:44:52(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
You mean something other than this?

CS1.jpeg

Thank you!

Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 10 November 2018 15:22:52(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Much as I would like to help I have CS2 which is different to the CS1 screen. You need to call up the loco then go to shuttle and put in the numbers of the S88.
contacts.

We need somebody with CS1 experience to help I think.

Your wiring should be OK providing the blue and brown wires to the contact track are correct as per the instructions that come with the contract track.

Hopefully somebody can help more than I have be able.
Offline Mmagda  
#13 Posted : 10 November 2018 15:34:14(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Thank you for your answer.

I'll try that when I get back home. I don't recall seeing any option like you described though. Maybe if I dig deeper in the menu I'll find what you're talking about.

I'll let you know how that went.
Offline amartinezv  
#14 Posted : 10 November 2018 15:43:45(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

At each end of the push-pull line you need a contact track, marklin reference 24995, this reference is formed by 2 (two) small tracks of 94.2 mm each, in total 188.4mm. This contact track gets to have a rail electrically isolated from the rest of the installation, you must ensure that it is so, for it you can use a digital voltmeter and if you do not have to check visually if below in the contacts of the track there is a bridge cut, compare it with a normal way.

Later on, when you place the locomotive on top of this track you have to make sure that it makes contact and that the system detects it, it won't look like this in CS1 but sure there is some way to see it.

It should work

Best regards

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 10 November 2018 16:25:27(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Mmagda Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your answer.

I'll try that when I get back home. I don't recall seeing any option like you described though. Maybe if I dig deeper in the menu I'll find what you're talking about.

I'll let you know how that went.

I guess you speak perfect German. Märklin issued some explanations for the so called "Pendelzugsteuerung" which is a controlled back and forth train run.

https://www.maerklin.de/...4_Special_MM_2015_04.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...faq/Technik-Tipp-320.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...faq/Technik-Tipp-312.pdf

All these articles refer to a CS 2 and/or CS 3. Do not know anything about the CS 1. But searching by the word "Pendelzugsteuerung" you will get plenty of feedback, even various videos explaining how to build and programm these "Pendelzugsteuerung".

@JoeB - sorry it won't help you very much, because all this is in German. But I saw videos also issued in English by ajckids or Reyaulds. I think Google may have an answer to you too. For me it is quite hard to use the American Google.com, because it always is automatically switched over to the German Google.de domain.

Ah, in the CS 3 manual page 27

https://static.maerklin....065db123781498138103.pdf

you find some explanations about programming a route by a CS 3.
Offline Mmagda  
#16 Posted : 10 November 2018 16:32:42(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

I guess you speak perfect German.
Oh... I wish!Crying

Thank you for the links, guess I’ll have plenty to read tonight.

Offline Mmagda  
#17 Posted : 10 November 2018 16:37:18(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post

At each end of the push-pull line you need a contact track

I just bought two today from Turberg. And a signal light. And a magnetic switch from Viessmann. And magnets. Guess that shows you how determined I am to make that damn thing to work. Glare
Offline David Dewar  
#18 Posted : 10 November 2018 16:41:05(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
This thread is confusing as we appear to be assisting two different people. I am trying to help Mmagda who is using Marklin 24994 and not the other 24995 track.

Both work but the 24994 is probably easier. The thread was started by Joe and perhaps Mmagda should have started another thread.
We need somebody with a CS1 to help.
Offline Mmagda  
#19 Posted : 10 November 2018 17:10:03(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
For that I sincerely apologize to JoeB for taking over the thread.

I did it because I believed there's something wrong with my wiring and didn't wanted to open a new thread (somehow I thought we have similar problems).

Turned out to be a CS1 programming problem as well.

I can only hope that the info from you guys help him as well.
Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 10 November 2018 19:27:42(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
For that I sincerely apologize to JoeB for taking over the thread.

I did it because I believed there's something wrong with my wiring and didn't wanted to open a new thread (somehow I thought we have similar problems).

Turned out to be a CS1 programming problem as well.

I can only hope that the info from you guys help him as well.

Did you find out what was wrong as it may help others.
Offline Mmagda  
#21 Posted : 10 November 2018 19:39:48(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
No, not yet.

It seems my CS1 doesn’t have the ability to program the s88 contacts into the locomotive decoder in order for it to stop/reverse/start and so on.

I don’t know if that is a must.

And I haven’t found any solution to register an s88 contact as an accessory in the CS1. I can register turnouts, signal lights and that’s pretty much it.

Maybe someone with more CS1 experience might come aling and explain some more...
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 10 November 2018 19:46:51(UTC)
H0

It seems my CS1 doesn’t have the ability to program the s88 contacts into the locomotive decoder in order for it to stop/reverse/start and so on.

You cannot program anything related to s88 or to shuttle operation into the loco decoder.
Shuttle trains work with any decoder without changing the decoder in any way.
Shuttle trains are a feature of the CS1. I think the screen you are showing is the only place where you have to configure anything for the shuttle train.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 10 November 2018 20:49:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

You cannot program anything related to s88 or to shuttle operation into the loco decoder.
Shuttle trains work with any decoder without changing the decoder in any way.
Shuttle trains are a feature of the CS1. I think the screen you are showing is the only place where you have to configure anything for the shuttle train.

Tom. You have to tell the loco in shuttle mode which S88 contacts refer to it. It does on my CS2. I set the start ,middle and end along with speed and time when stopped etc. Without that nothing will happen. However I don't have a CS1.
I have eight shuttle routes with individual locos programme for each.
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 10 November 2018 20:54:52(UTC)
H0

Tom. You have to tell the loco in shuttle mode which S88 contacts refer to it.
You do not tell the loco, you tell it to the Central Station. The CS does the shuttle operation, the loco is totally unaware what is going on. Even dumb non-programmable Delta decoders can be used for shuttle trains.
The configuration screens will look different between different Central Stations and even for different software versions of the same Central Station hardware.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Mmagda  
#25 Posted : 10 November 2018 21:05:57(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
I tend to agree with HO here. I have found absolutely no menu in the loco configuration where I can “tell” it where to go and where to stop.

I have to agree that the “shuttle” function of the CS1 takes care of any loco that is on that route.

Still, I couldn’t make mine to work and I still believe I made a mistake somewhere within the wires.

And keep in mind that I have a CS1 mit Update. Not even CS Reloaded from ESU. Maybe that one has that ability.
Offline David Dewar  
#26 Posted : 10 November 2018 21:16:03(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Tom. You have to tell the loco in shuttle mode which S88 contacts refer to it.
You do not tell the loco, you tell it to the Central Station. The CS does the shuttle operation, the loco is totally unaware what is going on. Even dumb non-programmable Delta decoders can be used for shuttle trains.
The configuration screens will look different between different Central Stations and even for different software versions of the same Central Station hardware.

The loco must know what speed and time etc is required. The loco has to recognise the commands from the CS.

Everything entered into the CS which runs the shuttle has to be sent to a specific loco on my layout.

Why I am bringing this up was to ensure that the person we are trying to help has the loco called up to the CS1 and is on the track.

However looking at the diagram of the CS1 above it appears that it refers to a route (12 in this case) so I presume then that any loco on that route will operate. This is different to the way I run my shuttles so I expect we are talking at cross purposes in which case I may be giving the wrong information in respect of a CS1.
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 10 November 2018 21:28:31(UTC)
H0

Everything entered into the CS which runs the shuttle has to be sent to a specific loco.
Yes. But only the CS knows that a shuttle operation is going on. The loco just gets speed instructions from the CS.

The loco must know what speed and time etc is required.
The loco knows nothing.
Of course, you select a loco in the CS and tell the CS to activate the shuttle operation for that loco.
But how to invoke the configuration dialogue and what it looks like is specific to the Central Station in use.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Mmagda  
#28 Posted : 10 November 2018 21:38:26(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Indeed, the CS dictates the speed that the loco has to have.

Suttle train steps in CS1 (as I know them. If I am wrong, please, point it out to me)

1 Call up the loco from loco selection menu
2 Bring the loco between Station 1 and Station 2
3 Set the speed that you you want the loco to have using the rotary knob
4 Press “STOP”
5 Select shuttle train from the loco edit menu
6 Select the route of the shuttle train (in this case: Station 1/Station 2)
7 Press “GO”

The loco is no longer under my control and it even has a small symbol right beneath it with a loco and left and right arrows, indicating that the CS1 is in charge of the shuttle train.

That is what I am doing, but still, no results.
Offline David Dewar  
#29 Posted : 10 November 2018 21:44:36(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Everything entered into the CS which runs the shuttle has to be sent to a specific loco.
Yes. But only the CS knows that a shuttle operation is going on. The loco just gets speed instructions from the CS.

The loco must know what speed and time etc is required.
The loco knows nothing.
Of course, you select a loco in the CS and tell the CS to activate the shuttle operation for that loco.
But how to invoke the configuration dialogue and what it looks like is specific to the Central Station in use.

After pressing the shuttle button the screen that then gives that loco options as to where to stop (one or three stops) its speed and stopping time without that the loco goes nowhere which is what I am trying to tell the chap who is having problems.

I have described above what to do that will work with a CS2 but the screen on the CS1 is totaly different and as far as I can see only has two stops.
What our chap needs is a CS1 owner to go step by step to help him.
I agree with what you are saying Tom but it is not working for Mmagda and his loco is not picking up anything from his CS.
Offline Mmagda  
#30 Posted : 10 November 2018 21:54:07(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
his loco is not picking up anything from his CS.

That is what I am not sure about.

The loco is not picking anything from the CS? Dunno, when I activate the shuttle function, the loco keeps going and I can’t do anything to it untill I cancel the shuttle function. That might be an indicator that ce CS is indeed controlling the loco.

Maybe the CS doesn’t pick up anything from the s88?
I changed it with another one. Still, no results. There I have 25% chances that both of them to be broken (i bought them on E Bay)

Maybe the s88 doesn’t pick anything up from the circuit tracks?
I checked both of them with a light bulb and they work.

Maybe the CS doesn’t register properly the Stations 1 and 2 with the corresponding ports on the s88?

How can I find out?
Offline David Dewar  
#31 Posted : 10 November 2018 23:27:26(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Can you post a picture of the contact track showing how it is wired with the blue and brown wires.
Offline Mmagda  
#32 Posted : 11 November 2018 01:37:50(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
There you go.

11.jpeg
10.jpeg

I am not using the 24995, I am using the 24994 (circuit Track)

Like this:
Wiring 1.jpg
Offline TEEWolf  
#33 Posted : 11 November 2018 02:22:58(UTC)
TEEWolf

After pressing the shuttle button the screen that then gives that loco options as to where to stop (one or three stops) its speed and stopping time without that the loco goes nowhere which is what I am trying to tell the chap who is having problems.

I have described above what to do that will work with a CS2 but the screen on the CS1 is totaly different and as far as I can see only has two stops.
What our chap needs is a CS1 owner to go step by step to help him.
I agree with what you are saying Tom but it is not working for Mmagda and his loco is not picking up anything from his CS.

But as in my video in post #15 shown and explained, you always need a feedback decoder like a L88 or S88, too. And with the CS 3 (probabely CS 2 as well, CS 1 I do not know and sorry, but a CS 1 today is electronic trash. It is like a computer with WIN 98 as OS on it - still running but not satisfying anymore) you program the decoder.
Offline Mmagda  
#34 Posted : 11 November 2018 02:41:23(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   

you always need a feedback decoder like a L88 or S88, too.

I am using one, and I have changed the wiring; now I'm using two contact tracks:

wiring 2.jpg

I am starting to believe that the CS1 was a bad investment, together with the s88, and K83 decoders (although the K83's work) Cursing
Offline TEEWolf  
#35 Posted : 11 November 2018 03:47:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

I am starting to believe that the CS1 was a bad investment, together with the s88, and K83 decoders (although the K83's work) Cursing

It depends when you bought the CS 1. If you bought it last month paying a lot of money, yes it was a bad investment. If you bought it 10,12 years ago, it was state of the art. You still can use it today, if you got one, no question. No reason to be angry.

The major problem I see and I know so far for a CS 1 is the not existing galvanic seperation. The effect is, it is not compatible with all other Märklin devices. Normally Märklin did and does again looking very strictly of compatibility of its various devices. The CS 1 is the exception. And hello - why was Märklin in insolvency? Certainly one of the reasons.

Technically you see it at the digitally systems architecture overview.

https://www.maerklin.de/...emarchitektur_gesamt.pdf

The CS 1 is the only one which is not integrable into the CAN-bus system. It is only attachable via an internet connection. That is the reason why I keep my hands off from a CS 1.
Offline Johnvr  
#36 Posted : 11 November 2018 08:13:11(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello

I have one more idea for you :

On the CS1, I seem to recall that there is a Set-up Switch, maybe in settings or somewhere, where you can choose to activate s88 feedback it or to de-activate s88 feedback.

This feature is on the CS2 where you click the Train Icon if you want to activate a s88 feedback from train control or if you want to de-activate s88 feedback from train control. Simply put, you can choose to run your layout in Auto mode or in Manual mode by selecting the switch.

Go to the settings screen on the CS1 and see whether you can find this option.

Regards BigGrin
John
Offline Purellum  
#37 Posted : 11 November 2018 09:23:16(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

And keep in mind that I have a CS1 mit Update. Not even CS Reloaded from ESU. Maybe that one has that ability.

Maybe I don't get this right; but as I remember, the first CS1s that came from Märklin didn't have the possibility to connect s88. ( ?? )

You had to send the CS back to Märklin to get an extra PCB installed; but if that's what you call "CS1 mit update" or "CS Reloaded from ESU" I don't know.

I'm wondering if you CS1 really reads the s88 at all ??

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Mmagda  
#38 Posted : 11 November 2018 10:07:43(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
@Purellum

The CS1 that I’ve got has the “addon” module where the s88 cable goes in. I’ll take a picture when I get back home.

@Johnvr
This morning, before leaving, I fiddled a little bit within the menu but I couldn’t find such option. I understood that in the ESU CS1 the ports on the s88 “light up” when they receive a signal from the contact track. But mine is not ESU CS1, it is CS1 version 2. Therefore, whenever I run the loco/wagon/close the circuit of the contact track, nothing happens.

I don’t know whether the CS1 receives any signal from the s88 or not. And I don’t know how to find out.
Offline Purellum  
#39 Posted : 11 November 2018 10:52:07(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

The CS1 that I’ve got has the “addon” module where the s88 cable goes in. I’ll take a picture when I get back home.

You don't have to take a picture, I trust you BigGrin

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline H0  
#40 Posted : 11 November 2018 11:04:56(UTC)
H0

The major problem I see and I know so far for a CS 1 is the not existing galvanic seperation. The effect is, it is not compatible with all other Märklin devices. Normally Märklin did and does again looking very strictly of compatibility of its various devices. The CS 1 is the exception.
AIUI the CS2 60213 has more problems with the lack of galvanic insulation than the CS 60212.
And AIUI there are no problem with a 60212 with respect to S88 when no boosters are in use. And there shouldn't be any problems AFAIK when using the ECoSboost boosters from ESU. ESU made the 60212 for Märklin. And AFAIK ESU know what they are doing.
Things got really mad when Märklin came up with the 60213 and the 60173 booster (which has such a bad design that you can swap it for a 60174 without extra costs).
And now they make the CS3 without galvanic insulation again. Did they learn their lesson?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline David Dewar  
#41 Posted : 11 November 2018 12:16:37(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Your wiring is fine.
I would try to sell the CS1 and pick up a CS2 which is excellent and will run your shuttle in minutes. Marklin ditched the CS1 and changed manufacturer and I am not sure if they or anybody on here can help unless they still own a CS1.

I think there is a button somewhere on the CS1 that says enable shuttle or something. Again make check the loco you are using has picked up the command from the controller which is required on my CS2.
As Teewolf says Marklin did not make your CS1 and I don't know what Marklin items will work with it although I would have thought most would.
Offline Mmagda  
#42 Posted : 11 November 2018 14:07:33(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   

I would try to sell the CS1 and pick up a CS2 which is excellent...

Didn't want to throw hundreds of euros for a CS2.

For a layout of 4m x 2m I figured the CS1 can handle a few routes and shuttle trains.

Guess I was wrong picking the CS1 on E Bay. 100 euros down the drain...
Offline H0  
#43 Posted : 11 November 2018 14:24:53(UTC)
H0

For a layout of 4m x 2m I figured the CS1 can handle a few routes and shuttle trains.
It should be able to do that.

Guess I was wrong picking the CS1 on E Bay. 100 euros down the drain...
Sell it on eBay - then you will know how much money really went down the drain.

But maybe there is a problem with the wiring. Buying a CS2 or CS3 will not resolve issues caused by incorrect wiring.

My CS1 has software version 4.x, so the dialogues are all different. And I do not have any s88 in use.
I use my CS1 for the layout and the CS2 only for a programming track - the CS2 is such a regression over its predecessor IMHO...

On the s88 screen of the CS1 you should be able to test if the s88 contacts work as expected:
60212_s88.png

When the contacts work as expected, then, as a second step, try to configure the shuttle operation.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Mmagda  
#44 Posted : 11 November 2018 14:41:19(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
That is exactly how the s88 setup menu looks on my CS1.

But when I run a loco or a car over the contact track none of the boxes corresponding to ports "light up". Dunno whether they sould or they shouldn't and the manual doesn't say anything.

I know that ESU CS1 has that "confirmation" feature but I don't know if mine should have it too. Hence I can't tell if my CS1 receives any signal from the s88.
Offline H0  
#45 Posted : 11 November 2018 14:48:28(UTC)
H0

Dunno whether they sould or they shouldn't and the manual doesn't say anything.
Märklin made the manual.

I don't know if that screen should indicate the current state of the s88.
But why should there be 16 boxes if they do not indicate the current state of the s88?
I'd make some more tests with that screen.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Mmagda  
#46 Posted : 11 November 2018 19:13:00(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   

I'd make some more tests with that screen.

There is nothing more to do with that screen, no more buttons, no feedback from the ports when I touch the screen, nothing. I can only chage the type of the s88 module from 8 ports to 16 ports.

I also tried an experiment: I set up a route triggered by a contact track. When the loco reaches the contact track it should activate the route by changing the state of two turnouts. Again, nothing happened.

I changed the cable from the s88 module to CS, no results.

I think my CS doesn't recognize the s88 module/ports.

Is there anything to do about it?
Offline David Dewar  
#47 Posted : 11 November 2018 22:11:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Don't think I can be of any further help. I would suggest you go for a CS2 which other than working your shuttle has a much better screen and is still updated by Marklin. Basically sell the CS1 if you can and look for a S/H CS2. This might be an expensive mistake but in my view any railway needs a decent power pack/transformer and controller which will last. I have had my CS2 for many years and will keep it when I get the CS3.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Mmagda  
#48 Posted : 11 November 2018 22:19:15(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
I will eventually. Just wanted to setup the layout before throwing all that cash into expensive stuff.
Offline Ross  
#49 Posted : 11 November 2018 22:44:26(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Mmagda,

The wiring diagram you supplied is incorrect as it should have a ground wire for the first s88 in the chain.

s88_ground.png

Hope this helps
Ross
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline Mmagda  
#50 Posted : 12 November 2018 00:10:38(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
it should have a ground wire for the first s88 in the chain.

Hello!

Thank you for the time you took to modify the drawing!

You mean this port?

s88.jpeg

well, that creates a problem:

I can only create a contact track using the C Track OUTER rail which is the GND rail (both L and R outer rails are GND).

contact.jpeg

Now, I opened the s88 module and indeed, that very last port seems to be the GND port as it is indicated on the electronic board.

s88 1.jpeg

But that would mean to connect the GND from the contact track with the GND from the rail. That would make no sense because it will not trigger anything.

GND PH.jpg

It would be correct to have the center rail connected to the 1,2,3....16 ports and the outer GND rails connected to the "_|_" port, but i cannot insulate the center rail for two reasons:

1 the cars will not activate the s88 sensor unless they have a slider
2 any loco hitting that portion of the track with the center rail insulated will stop.

I'm kinda in a dead end here, nevertheless I'll try your advice as well.Blushing