Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline analogmike  
#1 Posted : 23 October 2018 14:40:20(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello,
I may be able to purchase some nice Liliput wagons from I'm guessing 1980-90 ish vintage. Usually I stay away from anything other than Marklin because of derailment issues etc. I don't want to mess with changing wheels and so on.
Does anyone have any experience with these on M-track?? Or should I not bother?

Thanks

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2018 15:57:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have a number of older Liliput models from the 1970s/1980s and have not experienced significant problems.
I have had more issues with select models since the acquisition of Liliput by Herpa and then ultimately Bachmann.
The Liliput coaches/cars have sufficient weight and can be used on M Track.
Where you have to pay attention is that if you have a number of lighter cars in a consist with heavier cars in the rear of the train, that the drag can cause the lighter cars to tip.
For this reason, it is always better to have the lightest cars at the rear of the consist.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 23 October 2018 17:47:48(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
I may be able to purchase some nice Liliput wagons from I'm guessing 1980-90 ish vintage. Usually I stay away from anything other than Marklin because of derailment issues etc. I don't want to mess with changing wheels and so on.

Thanks

Mikey

I have struggled with non-Mârklin rolling stock for a long time (particularly with Liliput, because I found them so nice at the time, but I could never get them to work properly..) , until I found the solution to 99.5% of the cases.
All you need is to adjust the (inner) spacing betweeen flanges to the Märklin spec of 13.8 mm .
That simple.
You need a Gauge Fohrmann HO gauge and a mini wheel press/puller Mini wheel spacer/press
That's it.
Anything else may be trouble with the bogies or coupling mechanisms, but that is not Märklin specific!

Good luck

Cheers

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline CTD81  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2018 18:04:19(UTC)
CTD81

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Thanks

Mikey

I have struggled with non-Mârklin rolling stock for a long time (particularly with Liliput, because I found them so nice at the time, but I could never get them to work properly..) , until I found the solution to 99.5% of the cases.
All you need is to adjust the (inner) spacing betweeen flanges to the Märklin spec of 13.8 mm .
That simple.
You need a Gauge Fohrmann HO gauge and a mini wheel press/puller Mini wheel spacer/press
That's it.
Anything else may be trouble with the bogies or coupling mechanisms, but that is not Märklin specific!

Good luck

Cheers

Jacques

Is it the same with C-track?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CTD81
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 24 October 2018 01:16:16(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Another thing to be aware of is the riding width of the Marklin wheel is wider than some of the other makes [ some Roco or Trix ], so is you squeeze the wheels together to get the right inside fit, then those wheels can fall in between the rails. The first ones I had trouble with were Lima, which is a product I steer clear of now.
My first go at fixing these problems [ before I understood the 2 rail wheels were of a different caliber ] was to tweek the guide rail on the points so that the outer wheel would ride correctly over the track without mounting the rail on the inner curve of the points. [I put photos of my points somewhere on this forum a few years ago ]. I found the points with the plastic guide, didn't need to be corrected [ as someone had asked ].

Things to watch for are all the wheels [ inner spacing and ride width ], and buffers with 8 wheeled coaches where close couplers are used.

If the ride width of any wheel is less than Marklin, then better to go with the Marklin transplant.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 24 October 2018 13:11:21(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: CTD81 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Thanks

Mikey

That simple.

Jacques

Is it the same with C-track?

Basically yes, although C-track seem to be a little more tolerant.
I always test run the unchanged vehicle and if there are derailment or "shaky behaviour" on switches , I just re-adjust the wheels' spacing.
In addition C-track seem to tolerate the NMRA RP25 wheels fairly well.

Cheers

Jacques
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 24 October 2018 20:14:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have many Lilliput wagons, and in every case I have found that replacing the wheels with the Lilliput AC equivalents solves all problems. The wheel sets are cheap and very easy to swap. I find it's not worth the effort of trying to measure and adjust the back-to-back dimensions of the existing wheels.

I find the same is true for Piko wagons. Roco, Jouef, Lima, and Rivarossi wagons run OK with their original wheels on my C-track layout.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 24 October 2018 20:38:02(UTC)
H0

I also have the Fohrmann tool.
No hassle with measuring for new items: I check the car on a Märklin C Track turnout and if I feel the wheels are to far apart, I take the wheelset out, give it a quarter of a turn with the Fohrmann tool, put a drop of oil on the axle bearings, install the wheelset, then maybe another test on the turnout.

You have to take the wheelset out anyway. Good opportunity to grease the bearings while the wheelsets are out.
It takes about one minute to adjust four wheelsets.

Piko have at least three types of wheelsets, Liliput have at least three types of wheelsets. With the tool I don't have to bother with obtaining the correct wheelsets for each car.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 24 October 2018 21:09:29(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I have many Lilliput wagons, and in every case I have found that replacing the wheels with the Lilliput AC equivalents solves all problems. The wheel sets are cheap and very easy to swap. I find it's not worth the effort of trying to measure and adjust the back-to-back dimensions of the existing wheels.

I find the same is true for Piko wagons. Roco, Jouef, Lima, and Rivarossi wagons run OK with their original wheels on my C-track layout.

You're totally right Ray!
Get the 3 rail wheels on the new vehicle when you can and be done.
I wasn't clear maybe, but I was referring to "second hand" equipment, the stuff you find at a swap meet or on the second hand market place.
It's not always simple to find the correct 3 rail axles for older stock, so regauging is a good solution then.
And inexpensive: once you have the tools, you're set for life! Wink
Hope this helps

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline TrainIride  
#10 Posted : 24 October 2018 21:29:45(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
You have convinced me !

I have just ordered the Fohrmann tool and gauge now !

It has been a long time Jacques told me this is a must have.

Lots of wagons and coaches to adjust,
and also an old 3024 from 1959 converted to DC long ago by one of the previous owners,
with too much space between the wheels...

Best Regards
Joël
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by TrainIride
Offline analogmike  
#11 Posted : 25 October 2018 01:24:52(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Thank you gentlemen for all the info.
Me thinkst I will pass on the purchase of Liliput wagons at this time. I have more rolling stock than I know what to do with. While I do not have the Frohman tools yet I will be getting them because I have a few Hag Loks which need wheel adjustment (to wide). I agree these tools are a must have.

Thanks again,
Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 25 October 2018 03:37:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
While I do not have the Frohman tools yet I will be getting them because I have a few Hag Loks which need wheel adjustment (too wide). I agree these tools are a must have.

My experience with Hag is not that the spacing between wheels is incorrect, but rather that the wheelsets were designed according to Fleischmann standards and the flange is wider than on Maerklin models, which can result in the outer edge of the flange coming into contact with the adjacent stud on switch tracks. Adjusting the spacing can result in situations where the inside of the wheels might contact the wye or the stud on the inside.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline jvuye  
#13 Posted : 25 October 2018 11:34:47(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
While I do not have the Frohman tools yet I will be getting them because I have a few Hag Loks which need wheel adjustment (too wide). I agree these tools are a must have.

My experience with Hag is not that the spacing between wheels is incorrect, but rather that the wheelsets were designed according to Fleischmann standards and the flange is wider than on Maerklin models, which can result in the outer edge of the flange coming into contact with the adjacent stud on switch tracks. Adjusting the spacing can result in situations where the inside of the wheels might contact the wye or the stud on the inside.

Regards

Mike C

Yau are right Mike.
In fact there was also a problem using older HAG 2-rail locos on Code 80 track!
The flanges here were too "deep" and literally bounced over the ties!
The Fohrmann tool needed here was a lathe cutting tool Wink , and the lathe that goes along with it!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Minok  
#14 Posted : 25 October 2018 21:54:03(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Sounds like for folks that have a mix of various older and different brand vehicles you really need to set up a small machine shop to adjust spacing and machine wheels to the right form. I'd agree, the easiest solution, if one' doesn't already have the tools to make the wheel changes, is to find the info from the maker and order the right AC wheelsets from them -swap out, done. But when you have older stock or stock that no longer has parts or the manufacture is gone, then you need to resolve to the 'maker phase' - and start mechanical adjustments and possibly machining. For the Fleischman heavy load car with its 6 (or was it 8) axels I just ordered 4 new AC axels to swap out those that ran in a load carrying capacity on the ends (the middle 4 axles were just floating /decorative really) - but I don't think the shape of them causes an issue with shorting over turnouts, though I've actually tested them on a layout (the word was Fleischmann DC wheels run fine on C track).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 26 October 2018 00:31:41(UTC)
Minok

United States   
In all the talk about the wheel adjusting tools I got the urge to go poking around Fohrmann again, because, well I'm a man and thats what men covet: tools. Oooh shiney!

And soon as that I've got 250€ worth of stuff in the car. And then I hit the wall again as I did years ago with their website not supporting delivery outside of the EU. I wish they really would update that website software to provide a pull-down country outside of the EU in the address field which then locks down the order to be sent to them (ala prepay) to generate an ex-VAT invoice and payment request. Thats what one needs to do to get the stuff to, say the USA. They responded as such with an email to my asking about how I order to the US... so IF your outside of the EU and don't remember how it works, at checkout you can only select EU countries. So pick any one (I had germany, but the rest of my address was my US address) - and I chose "prepay" and put comments in the NOTES part of the checkout to have then generate an ex-VAT invoice for delivery to <your country>. That should do it.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok