Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2018 14:30:05(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dRxNgY6pW9U
This is a little film of my new Marklin 42999 autotrein, autozug set. Purists look away now? These 1/100 length coaches which I much prefer and love as I have only a small amount of room in our house to build and play trains. So radius 2 and 3 K track is all I have room for.
I am very pleased with this set. It has a great deal of imprinted detail and one or two added parts. The two Trans Euro Nacht coaches, are just nice to look at😁 The DB day coach and car transporter have very sharp printing to. Above all the whole set evokes very fond memories of motorail holidays in Europe. There are six Very nice Brekina cars with chock blocks to hold them in place, just as they do in real life😁 there is an excess of two choc blocks to hold two more cars from your own choice. The set is as it was in 1980. But these coaches and transporter looked like this in the late 70s and into the 80s?
All in all just a happy fan with who’s pleased with his wedding adversary present 😎👍
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 27 September 2018 22:50:34(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dRxNgY6pW9U
This is a little film of my new Marklin 42999 autotrein, autozug set. Purists look away now? These 1/100 length coaches which I much prefer and love as I have only a small amount of room in our house to build and play trains. So radius 2 and 3 K track is all I have room for.
I am very pleased with this set. It has a great deal of imprinted detail and one or two added parts. The two Trans Euro Nacht coaches, are just nice to look at😁 The DB day coach and car transporter have very sharp printing to. Above all the whole set evokes very fond memories of motorail holidays in Europe. There are six Very nice Brekina cars with chock blocks to hold them in place, just as they do in real life😁 there is an excess of two choc blocks to hold two more cars from your own choice. The set is as it was in 1980. But these coaches and transporter looked like this in the late 70s and into the 80s?
All in all just a happy fan with who’s pleased with his wedding adversary present 😎👍

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the nicely set up night scene.
Certainly the scale is of no matter when it works on a small layout.....

And (in my opinion) must say that many of the plastic wagons and coaches made by Märklin look way better than many of the competition.
Maybe they have the proportions right in a model environment or something ....... (in my opinion).

Kimball

Edited by user 02 February 2019 22:22:26(UTC)  | Reason: Dans' and Toms' comments correction or modification

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline danmarklinman  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2018 23:12:18(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I do like the metal coaches. But these are plastic body coaches with KKK couplers. Just to make that clear to others. Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 28 September 2018 08:25:49(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Although I must say that many of the plastic wagons and coaches made by Märklin are really way better than most of the opposition.
I must say I disagree. When it comes to interior details, the competition (I would not call it opposition) is really way better than most "new longer scale" Märklin items.
And when you place a Märklin Thunberbox beside a Roco Thunderbox you will notice many differences with details on the outside, too.

This review is about plastic coaches in length scale of about 1:100. Many Märklin tin-plate coaches are 1:110 or even shorter.
The 1:100 coaches by Märklin have interior details that are really way better than what Märklin now sells as "new longer length" (sometimes 1:97.1 and hence close to 1:100).

Everybody can buy what they like best. But since every brand offers good and not so good items, I do not like generalisations.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2018 20:03:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know if we want to get sidetracked into the usual Maerklin vs everybody else argument here...

I am happy that Maerklin decided to release this model. The couchette car has never been part of the Maerklin offerings so far. I would actually have preferred to have two of them and a single sleeper as I already have the 4240.

I am considering this set and trying to figure out what other coaches I can add to round out the consist. I think that this will be a good match (finally) for my 4268 SBB couchette car.
The period of this set does not correspond to the other couchette coaches in my collection (NS and SNCB). I do think that the DB couchette might still be usable with the NS (ex-DB) one if you disregard the revision dates on the actual models, as DBNZ and DBAZ continued to use blue/beige coaches until after 2000.

What I would really like to see now is an OBB sleeper in the upgrading colours for my EN Wiener Walzer in 1/100, using the MAV coach from the 42724 and other OBB upgrading sets.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2018 20:43:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Your coaches are very nice. As long as you are happy then that is all that matters. While Brawa might give better detail on their models in my view they are not really worth the extra cash and can have problems running on Marklin tracks. Roco are also OK but I stay with Marklin where possible. Did but a couple of Peco coaches and for the money are good value.

I enjoy painting and adding lighting and passengers to Marklin coaches which for me is part of the hobby.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 05 December 2018 07:16:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Your coaches are very nice. As long as you are happy then that is all that matters. While Brawa might give better detail on their models in my view they are not really worth the extra cash and can have problems running on Marklin tracks. Roco are also OK but I stay with Marklin where possible. Did but a couple of Peco coaches and for the money are good value.

I enjoy painting and adding lighting and passengers to Marklin coaches which for me is part of the hobby.

Peco, should this be Piko ?

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 05 December 2018 09:40:12(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 06 December 2018 21:24:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

John

Indeed so John. PIKO it is.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.