Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stevedenver  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2018 19:42:28(UTC)
stevedenver

United States   
i recently purchased, no recently received, after a year or so wait, the newly re-designed Marklin z railbus.

i have had z since 1986, but only in the past three years have i added it as an active interest in addition to my G and n scale layouts and collections.

I have the earlier 3 pole motor versions of the rail bus, so it is in this context my comments should be taken, regarding comparison. I have always enjoyed the railbus, despite the older versions requiring pristine track and fairly high speed to avoid stalls, and, that old, now rather annoying, motor noise.

Myrailbus cost $136.00 US , as i recall, and the matching trailer, $39.00

The railbus package is huge. about 8'x8'x2', and is the marketing collector style, with a large plastic "Uerdingen" diamond shaped builders plate included. The rail bus trailer box is the size of a normal z freight car.

Paint work is clean, highly detailed, and , imho, marginally better than earlier versions, with the window moldings being well defined and crisper than before. Bottom sill (black stripe) loco data is clear, and per DB.

One can actually see the "Uerdingen" logo on the front of the loco, previously simply a solid silver diamond, without detailed print or logo.

Truck detail is the same, quite good, imho.

The real joy and change in this version is, it crawls, is virtually silent, and, doesn't stall.

Led lighting comes on at very low voltage, say 1-2, (havent measured), but is on as soon as the unit begins to move. Interior detail is now present, with mock seating, and window plastic having a pale blue tint.

The interior lighting is , imho, mediocre, with 3 LED points, and no real diffusion, so that when running, one sees these hot spots, which, imho, dont look quite like the real thing (or as i imagine the real thing).

A feature i had hoped for was lighting featuring white front lights and red tail lighting, but, only white forward, both units. I have no idea if this would be prototypical, but, imho, it would have added a great deal of interest. LEDs, on this model are between cool white and warm white, a sort of high intensity discharge light look, in terms of color temp. They look fine to me, but quite white, for the era. I imagine the lights would have been the same as incandescent auto lights.

Simply, in terms of sheer running pleasure, this rail bus must offer the best performance for the price, imho, any price, that i know of with Marklin z.

Sorry no pics. my photo host is currently giving me fits.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by stevedenver