Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2018 04:16:03(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I first bought the Roco 47106 NS car with two 40ft Geest containers. Then, Maerklin released the 47051 car (Railion NS) with single 45ft Samskip container. I ordered a few of those. Last year, I added the 47051.005 and 47051.006 cars (Railrelease) with Samskip Coolboxx and Geest 45ft containers. I also have a handful of containers that I can mount on Kombimodell Hupac cars (Samskip, Geest, Ge-Ex and Van Dieren).

I decided to create the Samskip Train that runs between Holland and Italy. I have to figure out exactly what combinations of cars I will use.
I have seen trains with Samskip/Geest containers pulled by SBB Cargo and BLS Cargo locomotives.
The possible tractive choices are therefore:

Switzerland:
SBB Re 6/6 (620)
SBB Re 10/10 (Re 6/6 + Re 4/4II)
SBB Re 474
SBB Re 482
SBB Re 484
ES64F4 (SBBCI)
BLS Re 465
BLS Re 4/4 (425)
BLS Re 485/486
Railpool 186 (BLS/ERS)
BLS Re 475

I decided that the Re 485/486 combo will be used to pull my Ralpin ROLA train (47416/47417), so that limited the BLS tractive options.
I thought that since ERS was running this train in collaboration with BLS, that a BR 186 would be the best solution. As Maerklin has not released a model of the 186 in this livery, I decided on the Roco model, after having considered the ACME and Brawa models as well. The Roco model shares spare parts with my other Roco Traxx looks, so that was a major plus.

I have a Hupac container train made up of cars from the 47081 set and individual 47097 cars. That train will run with a mix of containers (Evergreen, Bertschi, Rinnen, Hoyer, etc.). That train will probably be pulled by one of my SBB Cargo looks. I also have a number of the 47441 type cars including the 47453 Hangartner set. Those cars will be run with a few Kombimodell cars behind a BLS Re 4/4 (either Roco or Rivarossi).

I have a pair of the 47095 sets (4 cars) with additional MSC Containers. I am trying to figure out what cars I can add to this consist. I think that I will run these with my FN Cargo ES64F4 (Roco) or my TXL ES64U3 (Roco).

I have a number of Roco, Fleischmann, Maerklin and ACME Crossrail and Ewals container cars that will run with my Roco/Trix and Maerklin Crossrail locomotives.

I have the Maerklin 47096 SBB Cargo Set plus similar cars from Roco and Fleischmann. I also have the Staiber special edition based on the 47441 car, which will make a nice Cargo Domino train behind a SBB Cargo Re 420, Re 620 or Traxx.

The last train is a mixed container load with containers from Ferrymasters, P&O, Bell, CMA, NYK, Xantar/Bertschi and others, which will probably run with other available locomotives.

Because I have some spare containers, I can add a few cars to extend any particular consist.

The problem is that not every container can be used with every car ;(

I may at some point take the NS cars out of the consist and run a more modern Samskip consist behind my BLS Cargo Re 475.
I can swap the Geest containers onto a generic AAE car to use them in a contemporary consist.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mmervine  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2018 21:13:19(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Very cool Mike! I picked up a few AWM Samskip 40' and 45' containers last year and added posts so that they mate with my Marklin container cars.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 20 September 2018 07:55:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I had a AWM VanDieren container that came with a Kombimodell car. The holes do not 100% line up with the holes on a Maerklin container car. I replaced it with a Herpa Ge-Ex container. Kombimodell has apparently now switched to Herpa containers for loads. I have the KM cars with the 30ft Bertschi and Rinnen Tank Containers (with pins) and they do not fit on Maerklin's 47051 type cars.

I found Herpa Geest and Ge-Ex containers on ebay. They probably came from truck models. I recently ordered a 45ft Samskip (old logo) and a pair of assorted Ferrymasters 45ft containers from KM/Herpa.

What was a little frustrating was that the 47051.001 Samskip containers fit on the cars but the newer 47051.005 Geest ones are a tight fit. It seems that even within one brand, they are not all fully interchangeable.

The interesting thing about the KM models is that when you use them with a single 40/45ft container or a pair of smaller ones, only one end is secured with pins. The other end sits freely on the car surface.

For my purposes, I think I like the Maerklin design the best, because you can use any container (if they fit). The other designs have multiple pins on the car body that prevent the use of any other brand of containers.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mmervine  
#4 Posted : 21 September 2018 02:43:51(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
B-Models is also producing these containers:

http://eyro.ch/onlinesho...sort=2a&filter_id=53
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 21 September 2018 04:27:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
One of the first things I noted about the B Models container cars is that they are equipped with pins on the car surface, meaning that the containers have sockets on the underside. In order to mount a 40 or 45 foot container on such a car, it would be necessary to have multiple sockets, similar to the design used by Fleischmann, so the pins for other sized containers do not interfere with the positioning of the container. The other possibility is that cars are delivered to support only the size of container offered with that particular car.

http://www.b-models.nl/pict/451/45137.jpg

On top of that, the 20 foot containers are described in the catalog/brochure as "for decoration" only. Does this mean that they cannot be mounted on cars?
From Huenerbein.de "ACHTUNG: diese Container sind nur zur Decoration!
Diese Container haben wegen der maßstäblichen Ausführung keine Löcher und können NICHT auf B-Models Containertragwagen befestigt werden!"

CAUTION: These Containers are only for decoration! These Containers have no sockets due to the scale rendering and cannot be affixed to B-Models Container cars"

B Models has announced a series of "Collector's Editions" which are supposed to be delivered with metal bodied cars and more prototypical fixation design.
I am awaiting these models as they have announced Crossrail/X-Rail/TRW "Ewals" and ERS/Samskip models. The containers for these cars (40/45 foot) models might be compatible with other brands as rather than having to sit on fixed pins, the pins can be flipped out of the way, meaning the car can be configured for 20/30/40 and 45 foot containers.

Regards

Mike C