Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#1 Posted : 13 September 2018 16:18:30(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Hello Everybody.

I have a question I would like to kindly ask, to anybody out there who has personal experience with MTH Locomotives. Perhaps this is a topic already discussed in the forum or even worst maybe this is a topic over the limits of the (Marklin related) forum. Hope I am forgiven (-:

My question is, how do MTH HO Locomotives compare to Marklin ones (on construction quality, level of detail, overall quality e.tc.). From the first look at a catalogue … they seem to be very close (I mean that MTH does not look inferior to Marklin). Am I right in this assumption or wrong?

And one last thing. Do MTH locos operate on C trucks with CS2?

Lots of questions …. but MTH have some American locos that are very tempting … (-:

Thank you in advance.

Paris
Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2018 16:21:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hello Paris,

I remember that one of the conclusions reached the last time we discussed MTH locos was that they could not operate on any track with less than Radius 3 or 4. For many of us that would be a reason to avoid them.

Other than that they are apparently very nicely made. Smile
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jerdenberg  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2018 17:00:48(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
My personal experience is not favourable. Some time ago (shortly before Märklin announced that it would be producing its first UP Challenger model) I gave up hope and decided to buy the MTH 3-rail version of the Challenger.

The model looks very nice, on a similar level as my UP Big Boys, and the engine sounds are very nice (especially the varying offset between the front and rear sets of cylinders).

At the time I bought it I did not have a layout – only about 2 metres of straight track in a window sill. The MTH Challenger behaved perfectly on that track, with nice acceleration/deceleration behaviour and fitting sound.

When last year I finally had the time to build a larger (still more or less temporary) layout, space limitations forced me to use some R2 and R3 track in addition to R4 and R5, even though long engines like the Big Boys and the Challenger look fairly ridiculous on the R2 and R3 curves. The Big Boys don't mind that, but the Challenger has considerable difficulty, to the point of stalling, on R2 and occasionally on R3; even on R4 and R5 it runs unevenly, whether it is running solo or with (a few) cars.

Whether my particular Challenger model has some problem with its decoder or otherwise, I don't know. Anyway, I do not like the hassle of getting it in working order (if possible), so I will sell it off and start saving for a Märklin Challenger.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2018 17:14:07(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: ParisTsirchoglou Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everybody.

I have a question I would like to kindly ask, to anybody out there who has personal experience with MTH Locomotives. Perhaps this is a topic already discussed in the forum or even worst maybe this is a topic over the limits of the (Marklin related) forum. Hope I am forgiven (-:

My question is, how do MTH HO Locomotives compare to Marklin ones (on construction quality, level of detail, overall quality e.tc.). From the first look at a catalogue … they seem to be very close (I mean that MTH does not look inferior to Marklin). Am I right in this assumption or wrong?

And one last thing. Do MTH locos operate on C trucks with CS2?

Lots of questions …. but MTH have some American locos that are very tempting … (-:

Thank you in advance.

Paris

The problem with MTH is not outside, but inside!
My experience is with HO scale locos.
In terms of reliability, there are frequent problems with the mechanical parts that are not adjusted correctly , for example cardan shafts often jumps off their connexion, which is very annoying because the layout is such that you have to undo half of the wiring to correct the mechanical problem.
There are also trouble with the electronics that seem quite unreliable.
That wouldn't be a problem in itself but the after sales service if simply dismal, at least when you are outside of the US.
I've been waiting for two year for a replacement decoder and each communication is simply answeredby "we're sorry we're very busy. The situation is really hectic"
And then when you open one of these loco to discover a real "spaghetti" wiring, with single strand rigid wires (!!) at least in the 3 models I had to work on for one of my friends.
Looks like those who build their stuff in Asia have not yet discovered the printed circuit...
As far as I am concerned , I'll stay away from these loks.
No experience with the coaches and freight cars
Hope this helps (....make the right decision Wink )

Cheers

Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2018 17:30:38(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: ParisTsirchoglou Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everybody.

I have a question I would like to kindly ask, to anybody out there who has personal experience with MTH Locomotives. ....

Thank you in advance.

Paris

Just to add a few words: You'd be better off with an Athearn or Kato or Bachmann engine.
They are easy to convert to 3 rail
Our friend Alstersteek has some experience with these. Kit Bashing US models for 3 rail operation
I have myself a few underway , including a Union Pacific A-B-B-A EMD F3 (4 motors total) set from Kato to pull my DLS consist!
When I do the conversion, this time I'll document the process and will share with all of you so you can see how easy it is!

Cheers

Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#6 Posted : 13 September 2018 21:38:46(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Dear Ray, Jeroen and Jacques thank you all for your replies.

That was exactly was I was looking for. Good information and solid opinion.

Thank you all!!!

Kind Regards

Paris

P.S. It seems that although sometimes Marklin gives us good reason to grumble … remains MARKLIN!!!
Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;
Offline Alsterstreek  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2018 00:02:59(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
To add to JVuye´s comments, my experience with an "AC" GP35 : Designed with love and built with hatred. I documented my long struggle just to lift the shell here:

https://www.marklin-user...ift-the-shell#post561280

What I didn´t document is that the decoder died on me, and that I subsequently weeded out the entire spaghetti mess to install a simple and honest basic ESU decoder. In principle this four-axle diesel loco is after all this evolutive maintenance finally running smoothly, even over R1 curved turnouts (C track). However, the center of gravity was and still is quite high, meaning a derail equals capsizing which is quite scary close to the layout ledge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2018 00:05:50(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hello Paris,

I remember that one of the conclusions reached the last time we discussed MTH locos was that they could not operate on any track with less than Radius 3 or 4. For many of us that would be a reason to avoid them.

Other than that they are apparently very nicely made. Smile

My GP 35 four-axle diesel is running on R1 radius curves (C track).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2018 12:06:35(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Here is a short video of my re-painted MTH GP35 (after evolutive maintenance):

Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 14 September 2018 12:23:06(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
In the past, forum member BrandonVA wrote about Maerklin-compatible MTH locos.

https://www.marklin-user...ndP--NYC--ARR#post529365
post #1137

https://www.marklin-user...lenger--39911#post529203
post #41

https://www.marklin-user...-Model-TRains#post442143
post #26

And last but not least his extensive review of his MTH 3E+ Denver and Rio Grande Western EMD F3 A-B Set - 8021975:
https://www.marklin-user...EMD-F3-A-B-Set---8021975
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 15 September 2018 03:26:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post

Whether my particular Challenger model has some problem with its decoder or otherwise, I don't know. Anyway, I do not like the hassle of getting it in working order (if possible), so I will sell it off and start saving for a Märklin Challenger.

Jeroen

You would not regret buying a Märklin Challenger Jeroen. I bought one last year and it is beautiful! Cool

From my experience MTH locos are a step below Märklin in quality, at least the American prototype MTH models that I have actually seen and run. I have not seen any MTH models as ambitious as a Challenger, so maybe they are of higher quality.

The features, detailing and finish on the Märklin Challenger are top quality and it operates perfectly anywhere on my layout, even though as you mention it does not look its best on tighter curves. I am impressed that it runs perfectly in curves far tighter than the prototype could ever have handled.

Märklin's Challengers are almost as impressive and every bit as special as my Märklin Big Boy and that is the finest HO loco that I have ever seen. BigGrin

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline jerdenberg  
#12 Posted : 15 September 2018 13:41:56(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

You would not regret buying a Märklin Challenger Jeroen. I bought one last year and it is beautiful! Cool

Indeed, Jim. Even though the MTH Challenger looks good (similar to the Märklin Challenger tempting me at my local dealer), it does not live up to its looks. In hindsight, I should have waited about 6 months longer before I gave up on the hope that there would ever be a Märklin Challenger Crying

There is only the little detail of acquiring (and justifying) the funds for a Märklin Challenger, but I'm almost sure there will be additional versions in the future, so one should be available by the time I'm ready to buy one :)

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline dickinsonj  
#13 Posted : 16 September 2018 01:00:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post

There is only the little detail of acquiring (and justifying) the funds for a Märklin Challenger, but I'm almost sure there will be additional versions in the future, so one should be available by the time I'm ready to buy one :)

Jeroen

Funny - I have that little detail too but often I still find a solution that lets me get what I want. Cool

There will no doubt be many future versions of the Challenger. Mine was first sold just last year and already the next version is here. I am certain that there will be one out there for you, when you are ready. BigGrin

It really is an amazing loco and it proves that Märklin can still build top quality HO models when they want to. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj