Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline James1192  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2018 17:07:16(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
I bought a new Brawa AC D178 tank engine with sound on the internet last October. When I presented it as a gift in December the pick up was adrift. After discussing this with the seller (return period was over) I sent it directly to Brawa Service
In March I received the locomotive back from Germany - defective part replaced and 'tested on AC track' - this was free and with free shipping - Great!
However, today for the first time, I got it out, and when I put it on then track using analogue controller it emitted a steam noise for about 7 seconds and then went dead. It will not work with modern analogue controller.
Have I really had a Loco serviced by the manufacturer that still doesn't work or am I missing something here? I figured that on standard Marklin control it should still at least move without sound?
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2018 02:16:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
James,
although you've mentioned a few things about this loco being analog with sound it must have a digital decoder inside and unless you can figure out what brand of decoder the loco has and how the loco was set up there isn't much I can help you with. did Brawa indicate anything about the loco and I would write to them and asked them what was wrong with the loco in the first place aqnd tell them waht you've told us
if you have an ESU sound decoder in the loco there is a 3 year guarantee but unless you know how old the loco is or when it was released again I couldn't recommend anything.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline James1192  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2018 08:06:44(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the reply John,

I wrote to the person (in German) detailled on the Service Note ‘der Bearbeiter’ last night and explained.
I posted on here because I just wanted to know generally - as I have no experience with AC ~dig sound, whether a locomotive produced for 3 rail digital operation, should be able to be used on analogue layout. I read something about older Maerklin controllers being unsuitable but the one I have is fairly recent.
I also have the Maerklin’s (very basic) digital hand control from recent Forstwirtschaft Train Set (basic to all their Start Up sets). As fate would have it, in my frustration, I could not get this power to even operate the set’s own loco (0-6-0) yesterday - so ths just added to the confusion!

The Loco I was speaking of is Brawa 40603 Tenderlok der OeBB - it was released about 3/4 years ago and is still being rereleased in various guises today. It is the most intricately detailled H0 locomotive I own.

I also tested my Kiss 0 Scale DB Br98 GtL 4/4 yesterday - most pricey item I have ever bought. It ran OK with a standard Bachmann analogue train set contoller but I could not get any joy with Bachmann train set digital controller.

I am getting the feeling that I am going to be advised that I need to buy a decent Digital Controller.......but I am reluctant to do this if the Brawa Lok really is defective. At least the Kiss Model is ‘alive’ on analogue!!
Offline skeeterbuck  
#4 Posted : 25 May 2018 12:40:03(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I would check with Brawa to try and determine if it's even designed to run in analog mode. I know that Märklin decoders will allow analog operation with no functions available, but I'm not sure about Brawa. I only have one Brawa loco and I use it in strictly digital operation. Good luck!

Chuck
Offline James1192  
#5 Posted : 25 May 2018 13:01:16(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the reply. I notice in adverts for this locomotive on ebay that it says 'not reversible in analogue operation' - so it should move on analogue by my reckoning. The worker who repaired the model is not available until June so I am no clearer.
Anyone interested in Brawa 0-6-0T Tenderlok D178/Br.92 may be interested to know they are available from modellbahn-seyfried at at reduced price of 53% - around £200 Sterling
Offline GlennM  
#6 Posted : 25 May 2018 15:24:50(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
James,

I do not own this model from Brawa, nor am I familiar with the running characteristics of this particular loco.

I do however own several AC ~ digital Brawa locos some with sound and some without, and the instruction manuals for my locos contain the following Warning;

"Warning! The AC models with or without sound decoders are not intended for analog driving. For use as prescribed a digital driving center is absolutely necessary!"

I think it would be prudent to check that this loco can in fact be run in analog mode, it would be my initial opinion that it should not, and doing so may damage the internal electronics.

I hope this helps

Best Regards

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline James1192  
#7 Posted : 25 May 2018 18:27:52(UTC)
James1192

United Kingdom   
Hello Sir thanks for your reply - most helpful

Since posting this I have procured another Br92 AC Sound Loco from Modellbahn Seyfried - well I couldn’t resist at £200 (!)
It is 40635 the Ep.VI version 92.2271 which runs today on the Martinsburg Zwettl Lokalbahn in Lower Austria
In preparation for its arrival I will dive in with Maerklin’s 29000 Digital Start Set - as I am beginnng to realise that you probably can’t run these things without the proper equipment.
I think the fact that the 40603 engine remains immobile sort of tells me it is perhaps my previous approach rather than fault of Brawa’s repair department. The provision of Maerklin 29000 should prove one way or another.......