Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2018 16:25:06(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I should have gave more thought for lights on my layout when constructing my layout but better late then never. The roofs on my buildings are removable so something still can be added and I have plenty of 16 v power left over from the six transformers on my layout. I also want to add some street lights and light up a couple of yards. Any suggestions what brands to use and what type? Thanks - Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2018 20:51:48(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2018 12:29:38(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I was wondering what companies and methods that have been used to light buildings and streets. Also I would like to use 16 volts.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2018 14:05:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
I was wondering what companies and methods that have been used to light buildings and streets. Also I would like to use 16 volts.

Faller and Brawa both make fittings for putting a lamp inside buildings. I think Noch may also do one.

There are a number of manufacturers of street lamps that operate. Brawa, Viessmann, Noch, Busch all come to mind. You can get almost any style of lamp you want from the very modern sleek street lamp to old style gas lantern park lamps including lamps for mounting outside doorways. LEDs have really revolutionised this type of accessory.

Check out the following web pages: -

Brawa english page and under accessories select 'Lamps' - don't forget the 'show more' at the bottom.

Faller Electronics select 'electronics' under 'Model layout Construction' and scroll through the available items. Most are not relevant, but the third page onwards have some items of interest.

Viessmann lamps. this should take you straight to the page at Viessmann with street lamps and the like. Note these go in a little socket you put in the base board making it easy to remove them when you need to work on the layout. This saves damaging them. The Brawa ones also have sockets (but I don't think they fit the Viessmann ones).

That should get you started.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 21 May 2018 03:09:11(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post

Agree with Dale. LED is the most cost effective, flexibility and safe way of lighting buildings and street lamps.

Buy a cheap 12v DC power supply and a dimmer from China. Use led strips to light up your building (you can normally cut the strips with e.g. 3 led in one small section). Street lamps can easily be self build using 3mm LED and resistor (check lots of tutorials on Internet including from Martin from this forum).

Advantages is that you can get LED in various colours. New buildings can e.g. have a cool white LED while older style buildings can have warm white or even yellow. By mixing LED from various manufactures you will soon have a city scape that mimics real life by having different light tones.

If you use old type incandescent bulbs it will all have the same yellow hue, they tend to get hot and does not last as longs as LED.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 21 May 2018 16:08:10(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I somehow initially thought you were looking to light the room.... but if you are interested in the buildings etc., I have a page on the LED circuits....

https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2017/04/led-lighting-circuits.html
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline skeeterbuck  
#7 Posted : 21 May 2018 18:27:26(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Since you're located in the US, I'd recommend you look into the Woodland Scenics Just Plug lighting system. The thing that I like most about it is you can dim the LED's to get a more realistic scale lighting effect.

https://woodlandscenics....y/JustPlugLightingSystem
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline SteamNut  
#8 Posted : 21 May 2018 22:51:07(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Thanks for all the suggestions I think I will go to Walther's in Milwaukee and see what they also recommend and actually see it in my hand.
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 24 May 2018 17:02:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have lots of street lights that come in kit form and are made up in minutes. Had them for years but if I remember they were from Viessmann. Advantage is they are about a third of the cost of a light already built. For house I would go with the Faller Leds. Houses will need an insert to stop light shining through the walls or Viessmann have a system to light individual windows but this is expensive and messy with lots of wiring.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Toosmall  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2021 07:54:07(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
For architectural models when internal lighting was required, I would mask the outside of the building & key openings mask around the edge of the window & door openings. Masking tape just on the outside is generally good enough to stop the spray going through the opening. Or a bit of masking tape over the opening from the inside just a whisker larger than the opening.

Then spray paint the inside black. Let it dry properly. That will stop the light bleeding through the walls. But then I would spray paint the black with a top coat of white. The white inside helps bounce the light around the inside of the building.

If there is a bit of over spray on opening edges this can be scraped off with a scalpel blade.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 11 August 2021 21:58:31(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I have an extra transformer only for ighting. None of it is connected with the controller, track power or ground. I use the 16 volt A/C fixed side for my Faller a/c motor accessories. Also for the Woodland Scenics Just Plug LED system. Some are wired in with two Viessmann flasher units. You can use the expansion hub power output terminal for led's if you add resistors to them. It's a nice system, albeit a bit pricey.
I use the 12 volt dc fixed or variable side for regualr bulbs I don't have on a dimmer, or want them dimmer than 16 volts provides.