Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : ESU or CS3plus
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 31 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Wasp  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2018 10:29:17(UTC)
Wasp

United Kingdom   
Hi welcome to comments and thoughts can’t make my mind up ESU or CS3plus?
Running AC system c/w mixed locos Roco and Marklin .
This will also operate an automatic fiddle yard.
Cheers enjoy your trains
Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wasp
Offline Joe Meiring  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2018 10:51:41(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Wasp Go to Quoted Post
Cheers enjoy your trains
Chris

Hi Chris- I don't have either, but there has been a lot of negative comments on the Forum of late re the new CS3....maybe the bugs are ironed out by now?!?
A friend with a fairly large and complex layout has the ESU Command station- and raves about it! A very impressive unit I must say👌 He runs only Marklin at this stage....if I was in the market I would get the ESU
Joe M

Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
Offline MaerklinLife  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2018 12:03:43(UTC)
MaerklinLife

This question comes up again and again. You will not get a definitive answer. It is a religion.

Perosnally, I would go for the CS3 when Märklin locomotives with mfx are in play. You don't know where mfx is going, but ESU only supports a fraction of it. If you are looking into making use of all the mfx features, CS3 is the better choice.

With regards to the errors and bugs: I have the CS3 and with the latest updates it is not a problem. I mainly use mfx, so I cannot really tell about DCC. I use the ESU M4 decoder in the locos that the mld3 does not support.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Wasp  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2018 13:44:43(UTC)
Wasp

United Kingdom   
Many thanks for input
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2018 23:21:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Cheers enjoy your trains
Chris

If you search here in MSU you get tons of pages about the CS 3 and Ecos. Here one topic as an example

https://www.marklin-user...S3-vs-CS3--which-to-get.

Only one point: the CS 3 is the most actual technique you can get at the moment as a controller. Does not matter if it is the screen the internal 32-bit processor, etc.

Offline Wasp  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2018 23:26:30(UTC)
Wasp

United Kingdom   
Many thanks
Offline ocram63_uk  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2018 23:48:09(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I have an ESU EcoS, I'm happy with it. Certainly the hardware is 'old' but the sw keeps changing for functionalities I don't even use.
At the same time I do not understand the constant rush to deliver / market state of the art articles in this field. It is a hobby and I find it stupid to push technology as they do, but this is my opinion.
The EcoS is easy to use, friendly and intuitive. Do I need all the frills that it offers? No. Does it deliver what it says on the lid? Yes. I prefer an open world rather than a closed one. This is my opinion and I do not work for ESU :-)
Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2018 00:24:05(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
ESU Ecos. Has proven itself over time. Very reliable & easy to use. My two cents worth.
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Nigel Packer  
#9 Posted : 19 May 2018 08:23:46(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Cheers enjoy your trains
Chris

Hi Chris,

Since you are fairly near me in Cheshire, you would be welcome to come and see my CS3 plus in use. I also have an Ecos (CS1 reloaded) on my test track.

I have a large investment in Märklin, so would always go for the Märklin option. I also helped with early testing of the CS3 software, and run my layout with computer control, so I have a bit of everything!

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 19 May 2018 08:34:03(UTC)
Goofy

I would go for the Ecos.
They have Railcom and Railcom + too.
ESU can plan for an new Ecos too with more intelligence design and faster process.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 19 May 2018 11:49:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
CS3. Marklin as a manufacturer I need for my track and locos etc but if ESU disappeared it would make no difference to me. Hence I always support Marklin.
I have no idea which is best but I know some do like the ESU controller. There are also Lenz, Roco and umpty others but all my controllers from Marklin have worked well and never let me down. Marklin tend to bring out their stuff too soon but hopefully by now any problems will have been sorted.

I am just a loyal type of guy and stick by Marklin where I have little or no complaints.

That is a good offer from Nigel to see the CS3 in action.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 19 May 2018 12:36:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
someone once said I'm bias because of ........ but needed to change from the Motorola system it took me 3 years to decide and I bought an ECoS and don't look back. I looked at the whole parcel and not just the control unit and at the time Märklin was still under a cloud of secrecy, sound decoders weren't that great, changing particular CV's on decoders was a no no.

sending faulty sound decoders back to Märklin was also a hassle you had to send the whole loco back regardless and the guarantee was worthless.

regards.,

John

Edited by user 20 May 2018 12:35:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline dickinsonj  
#13 Posted : 19 May 2018 14:26:12(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I think that they are both very good train controllers and that either would work well with a mixed layout.

The CS3 is probably superior if you are primarily controlling Märklin equipment and the ECoS has some advantages when controlling a mixture of brands. But from what I can see there is really no right or wrong answer, just a matter of personal preference and need.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline MaerklinLife  
#14 Posted : 19 May 2018 18:58:37(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I would go for the Ecos.

Which Märklin locomotives do not, so you don't really win anything with Railcom unless you change the decoder in the locomotives. I think it is important to mention this. It is not a trivial amount of money to change the decoders (especially the sound ones). You can only truly benefit from Railcom if all your locomotives support it. They do not...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 19 May 2018 19:51:53(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
I have an ESU EcoS, I'm happy with it. Certainly the hardware is 'old' but the sw keeps changing for functionalities I don't even use.
At the same time I do not understand the constant rush to deliver / market state of the art articles in this field. It is a hobby and I find it stupid to push technology as they do, but this is my opinion.
The EcoS is easy to use, friendly and intuitive. Do I need all the frills that it offers? No. Does it deliver what it says on the lid? Yes. I prefer an open world rather than a closed one. This is my opinion and I do not work for ESU :-)
Marco

My dictionary tells me: a German proverb translated to an English idomatic expresseion says:

"Better is the enemy of good."

Hopefully it is correct.

Perhaps you may answer too, why shall I buy an old standard technique, if a new and better one is available? This does not mean, that the old standered is bad or has to be replaced. Never! Keep it! Use it! Another proverb says: never change a winning team!

By the way: perhaps you may telling me anything about a mfx technology from other suppliers? Yes, I know ESU shall has developed a similar techology, but unfortunately I do not read anything about it in special journals for a MRR - even in the English ones.

At the end a mfx technology (which must not be necessarily from Märklin) is a digital device management system for every digital railroad. This helps everybody for its hobby, because it makes it easy again as the analogue system has been. But it offers much more possibilities which you never can achieve with the analogue system.

I remember 50 years ago, when my brother and myself built up a catanary system on our dual line model railroad. The goal was running 4 trains with 4 transformers for 4 different speeds. Today with a digital railroad I need only one controller (like a MS 2) and get 11 trains running on a single track layout with 11 different speeds. Does this not improve our hobby?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Goofy  
#16 Posted : 20 May 2018 00:02:59(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
I would go for the Ecos.

Which Märklin locomotives do not, so you don't really win anything with Railcom unless you change the decoder in the locomotives. I think it is important to mention this. It is not a trivial amount of money to change the decoders (especially the sound ones). You can only truly benefit from Railcom if all your locomotives support it. They do not...

Railcom is future which you see what there is in the decoder today.
Märklin follows own track by use mfx and mfx+.
But ESU do it too by use M4.
ESU decoder support Railcom.
I´m pretty sure if ESU do also present (?) "World of Operation" like Märklin do.
Only software and hardware are difference between Ecos and CS3.

H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#17 Posted : 20 May 2018 00:05:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

My dictionary tells me: a German proverb translated to an English idomatic expresseion says:

"Better is the enemy of good."

Hopefully it is correct.

There is a similar proverb in English, although I'm too tired at the moment to recall it properly.Unsure

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dickinsonj  
#18 Posted : 20 May 2018 00:34:37(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

There is a similar proverb in English, although I'm too tired at the moment to recall it properly.Unsure

The saying that I am aware of is "Good is the Enemy of Great".
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Purellum  
#19 Posted : 20 May 2018 00:55:10(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

YES !!! LOL

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Goofy  
#20 Posted : 20 May 2018 09:32:13(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

YES !!! LOL

Per.

Cool

And you try to say what?

Confused

H0
Offline MaerklinLife  
#21 Posted : 20 May 2018 11:09:19(UTC)
MaerklinLife

And you try to say what?Confused

If the only difference between the CS3 and the ECoS is the hardware AND software, then basically you are saying they have nothing in common... LOL.

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline MaerklinLife  
#22 Posted : 20 May 2018 11:13:42(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Railcom is future which you see what there is in the decoder today.

Railcom is one future, mfx is another future. It does not matter, you should not use Railcom as a benefit knowing that many of the locomotives that are going to run on the system does not support it. Most people don't use Railcom at all meaning that they will never benefit from buying a station that support it.
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 20 May 2018 14:32:53(UTC)
H0

Railcom is one future, mfx is another future.
Since 2018 Märklin H0 locos come with DCC.

I disabled mfx in my Central Station. I would also disable RailCom and RailCom+ if my controller had it.
If I had to decide on a future controller for me, both RailCom and RailCom+ would be nice to have, but not really high priority.
mfx and mfx+ would be unimportant for me.
And 70% of my locomotives are from MäTrix. For me it is not important to get a Märklin controller or an mfx controller just because many of my locos support mfx - beside other protocols.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline MaerklinLife  
#24 Posted : 20 May 2018 16:01:42(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Since 2018 Märklin H0 locos come with DCC.

DCC support and Railcom is not the same thing, which you are very well aware of. DCC is a third future. My point was: There is no ONE AND ONLY future as Goofy indicates.

If I had to decide on a future controller for me, both RailCom and RailCom+ would be nice to have, but not really high priority.

Exactly. To most people Railcom support does not matter. So it should not be used as a big advantage, changes are you will never use it. Changes are that you would use mfx a lot more because Märklin pushes it hard. To most people mfx works just fine.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline mmervine  
#25 Posted : 20 May 2018 17:21:10(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
It seems like we have a thread like this every few months and I have stayed out of the comments so far. As a user of a CS2 for my club layout and and ECoS at home, here are my thoughts:

If you mainly have Marklin decoders in your engines, I would recommend a CS2 or CS3. MFX works great and DCC is ok and there seems to be no problem adjusting CV's for Marklin decoders. One clear advantage of the CS2 is that you can trigger individual locomotive functions in a route. This feature has still not been implemented in the ECoS.

If you have mainly ESU or other DCC decoders, I would recommend an ECoS. The ECoS also works great with newer Marklin decoders, but I have found that I have to continue to use my 6021 (or borrow a CS2 from a friend) to adjust CV's. I can normally read a CV from a newer Marklin decoder, but not write to it. I have had no issues reading in or operating any MFX decoders (I am at FW 4.2.3) with my ECoS, other than adjusting CVs.

One other thing to consider is ongoing support. My ECoS is an original B&W unit that I bought many years ago. ESU has continued to provide FW updates as recently as three days ago. I sincerely hope that Marklin does the same for the CS2 & 3.

Both are excellent controllers and you really can't go wrong with either decision.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline TEEWolf  
#26 Posted : 21 May 2018 03:28:24(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post
It seems like we have a thread like this every few months and I have stayed out of the comments so far. As a user of a CS2 for my club layout and and ECoS at home, here are my thoughts:

If you mainly have Marklin decoders in your engines, I would recommend a CS2 or CS3. MFX works great and DCC is ok and there seems to be no problem adjusting CV's for Marklin decoders. One clear advantage of the CS2 is that you can trigger individual locomotive functions in a route. This feature has still not been implemented in the ECoS.

If you have mainly ESU or other DCC decoders, I would recommend an ECoS. The ECoS also works great with newer Marklin decoders, but I have found that I have to continue to use my 6021 (or borrow a CS2 from a friend) to adjust CV's. I can normally read a CV from a newer Marklin decoder, but not write to it. I have had no issues reading in or operating any MFX decoders (I am at FW 4.2.3) with my ECoS, other than adjusting CVs.

One other thing to consider is ongoing support. My ECoS is an original B&W unit that I bought many years ago. ESU has continued to provide FW updates as recently as three days ago. I sincerely hope that Marklin does the same for the CS2 & 3.

Both are excellent controllers and you really can't go wrong with either decision.

I agree with you, although I do not have any experience with an ECos. But I think that for Märklin the mfx format will be used far beyond a loco decoder controlling a loco. In my opinion Märklin will use the mfx technology to make a digital railroad as easy again as the analogue one has been. But with all advantages and comfort of a digital railroad. A digital MRR we enjoy already, even sometimes in an often not easy ways.
Offline Goofy  
#27 Posted : 27 May 2018 10:28:21(UTC)
Goofy

DCC support and Railcom is not the same thing, which you are very well aware of. DCC is a third future. My point was: There is no ONE AND ONLY future as Goofy indicates.

No i didn´t write like that!
I did wrote Railcom is future...not one and the only.
DCC is not even third future.
Märklinist change out Märklins mfx decoder to ESU or D&H instead and they use with DCC protocol on the three rail tracks.
Works excellent too!
If you have or want to use ESU decoder i would use Ecos to perform nice work.

H0
Offline David Dewar  
#28 Posted : 27 May 2018 11:35:26(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

Märklinist change out Märklins mfx decoder to ESU or D&H instead and they use with DCC protocol on the three rail tracks.
Works excellent too!

Goofy with all due respect I have never understood why on a Marklin site you promote anything that is not made by Marklin.
I have no idea what Railcom is but for me it is certainly not the future. ESU may have some good stuff but I cant see why if you buy Locos and track etc from Marklin you would not consider buying their control system which should match their locos etc.
Others have to watch what Marklin are doing and adjust to match them.
Anyway I just support Marklin.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline H0  
#29 Posted : 27 May 2018 12:51:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
ESU may have some good stuff but I cant see why if you buy Locos and track etc from Marklin you would not consider buying their control system which should match their locos etc.
Märklin do not have much experience with decoders - from 2004 until 2011 they used ESU decoders in their locos.
Märklin do not have much experience with controllers - the 6021 was developed by Lenz, the Mobile Station and the Central Station 60212 were developed by ESU.

I buy Märklin tracks, locos from many different manufacturers - and take the liberty to buy controllers from companies with much expertise in that area.
IMHO Märklin decoders are not on the level of ESU decoders. I'd buy more Märklin locos if they were on the level.
I need a control system that works fine with the locos I have. A company with headquarters in Swabia (Bavaria) would be my first choice today, a company with HQ in Bottrop would be second.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#30 Posted : 27 May 2018 13:14:38(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Märklin do not have much experience with controllers - the 6021 was developed by Lenz, the Mobile Station and the Central Station 60212 were developed by ESU.

Giving them 10+ years of experience with CS3 and CS2. Which is quite a lot.
Offline river6109  
#31 Posted : 27 May 2018 13:19:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
My story started with Märklin and M-track, I than started K-track, I than replaced the M-track with C-track, I than got into digital with a 6020 and than a 6021, I started buying Märklin locos, I than realized Roco has 3 rail locos, I than started buying Roco locos, lately I bought a Piko loco and some HAG locos. I bought in the beginning 6080 decoder, than 6090 decoders, than 60901 decoders, I than realized ESU is producing multi protocol decoders whereas you can program decoders, I eventually got rid of all my Märklin decoders. I than bought an ESU Command station, I don't buy any new locos from Märklin if they are over Euro 150.00, I don't use any Märklin switching tracks, I got rid of all my under board solenoid motors for turnouts, I got rid of all my Märklin overhead system, I'm still alive and still enjoying my hobby without buying or using stuff I regard as risky.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kiwiAlan  
#32 Posted : 27 May 2018 14:19:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

IMHO Märklin decoders are not on the level of ESU decoders. I'd buy more Märklin locos if they were on the level.

To be fair, I suspect that if Marklin were as open with information as ESU are with their V4 decoders then they would get a following as widespread as ESU has. The major problem is the way they lock the OEM fitted decoders and the limited information available.

From the advertising blurb available I do get the impression they are otherwise as capable as ESU V4 ones.

Offline David Dewar  
#33 Posted : 27 May 2018 17:22:07(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
We appear to have a marklin users site that should be also called also buy ESU stuff instead. lol. Amazes me why some post on here just to slate the product.

Roco I also admire as they do provide a complete system.. If ESU goes bust then it matters not although marklin will gain. Why folk join a site when they dont like the product is beyond me. Marklin ditched ESU ages ago thankfully and now even ESU are making overpriced locos in small numbers.

Anyway thankfully Marklin has a very large loyal following which hopefully can be seem on this MARKLIN site.

PS ESU will soon be making track so nobody who does not do Marklin will be happy lol.

PPS I have always respected views on here but repeated comments on this site about not using anything Marklin or buying other stuff is in my view insulting to the site owners.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Thewolf  
#34 Posted : 27 May 2018 17:36:51(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
We appear to have a marklin users site that should be also called also buy ESU stuff instead. lol. Amazes me why some post on here just to slate the product.

Roco I also admire as they do provide a complete system.. If ESU goes bust then it matters not although marklin will gain. Why folk join a site when they dont like the product is beyond me. Marklin ditched ESU ages ago thankfully and now even ESU are making overpriced locos in small numbers.

Anyway thankfully Marklin has a very large loyal following which hopefully can be seem on this MARKLIN site.

PS ESU will soon be making track so nobody who does not do Marklin will be happy lol.

PPS I have always respected views on here but repeated comments on this site about not using anything Marklin or buying other stuff is in my view insulting to the site owners.

I more than agree with David
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#35 Posted : 27 May 2018 17:37:27(UTC)
TEEWolf

Works excellent too!

Goofy with all due respect I have never understood why on a Marklin site you promote anything that is not made by Marklin.
I have no idea what Railcom is but for me it is certainly not the future. ESU may have some good stuff but I cant see why if you buy Locos and track etc from Marklin you would not consider buying their control system which should match their locos etc.
Others have to watch what Marklin are doing and adjust to match them.
Anyway I just support Marklin.

Well, of course I know who is Goofy. Nevertheless I looked the figure up again in Wikipedia. I can't stop laughing about the description (English version) there.

[start quote] "... Goofy is a close friend of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck and is one of Disney's most recognizable characters. He is normally characterized as ..., albeit in his own unique, eccentric way." [end quote].

Be happy (to have Goofy), don't worry (to read Goofy)HuhMellow Laugh
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Goofy  
#36 Posted : 27 May 2018 17:47:28(UTC)
Goofy

I´m not alone in having problems with Märklins decoder and their system.
The work itself is where other members of the forum are also struggling with problems presented by Märklin.
If you use ESU decoders, it is best to use ESU digital system to be able to use decoder resources significantly better than Märklins system.
Märklinist do verified that ESU and D&H decoders work better than Märklins.
I have seen and tested byself with difference result.
I´m disappointed to have Märklin/Trix locomotive.
I would go for the Ecos and i know ESU will change Ecos to more advance system.
H0
Offline Goofy  
#37 Posted : 27 May 2018 17:52:16(UTC)
Goofy

We appear to have a marklin users site that should be also called also buy ESU stuff instead.

Marklin ditched ESU ages ago thankfully and now even ESU are making overpriced locos in small numbers.

Not truth what you did wrote!
There is member here who use Ecos but also other manufactured digital system.
No...ESU locomotives is not overpriced than what Märklin do.

H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#38 Posted : 27 May 2018 18:25:23(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
My story started with Märklin and M-track, I than started K-track, I than replaced the M-track with C-track, I than got into digital with a 6020 and than a 6021, I started buying Märklin locos, I than realized Roco has 3 rail locos, I than started buying Roco locos, lately I bought a Piko loco and some HAG locos. I bought in the beginning 6080 decoder, than 6090 decoders, than 60901 decoders, I than realized ESU is producing multi protocol decoders whereas you can program decoders, I eventually got rid of all my Märklin decoders. I than bought an ESU Command station, I don't buy any new locos from Märklin if they are over Euro 150.00, I don't use any Märklin switching tracks, I got rid of all my under board solenoid motors for turnouts, I got rid of all my Märklin overhead system, I'm still alive and still enjoying my hobby without buying or using stuff I regard as risky.

John

Oh interesting - but how are you doing your hobby without Märklin? All the other suppliers are more or less feeders for an open, not or bad covered niche by Märklin.

I stopped my hobby MRR 1972, just before finishing my Gymnasium and I restarted MRR as a hobby again in 2013/2014, after it was obvious and clear Märklin will furthermore exist. The insolvency will be superseded by a new owner, a private family owner. This is the new situation and in my opinion almost always forgotten in all these discussions. These new owners are thinking different as all the other owners and managements before. You realize it at the moment in the lack of offering cheap starter sets, which were till 2015 quite common. They are building a new Märklin. This we have to keep in mind.

When I bought my starter set package (29040) - [by the way - hello - can we get a relaunch of this topic from Bigdaddynz?]

https://www.marklin-user...ega-Premium-Starter-Sets

post #40

in 2013/2014, I suddenly started into the new world of a digital MRR. Very different to the old analogue one. I had and still I have to learn the differences. But at my starting days, after I had my first 2 trains running around, I made a fundamental decision. I only go with mfx and as far as possible with mfx+. Yes I was aware that this means I have to stay with Märklin, because nobody else can offer mfx in a variety as Märklin does and mfx+ even nobody else as Märklin has an offer. But mfx makes the digital MRR life much, much easier. And mfx does not come only for locos, it comes for the coach decoders, signals and I am waiting for more as turnouts, etc.. Mfx is already a decoder address management system.

At the moment I get punished for this decision by incredible price rises of the Märklin products. This changes definitely my shopping behaviour for Märklin and I look more and more to other suppliers. Also they starting offering mfx too, like PIKO with its new E 18.

https://www.marklin-user...s/t40684-piko-new-ho-E18

Unfortunately these models in my opinion are really not cheaper as the Märklin's once. Anyhow - do I have a real and better choice of MRR suppliers now?
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#39 Posted : 27 May 2018 21:18:25(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
I would look for a used CS2:
- best price for value
- stable
- is able to update mLD/mSD and mLD/3 and mSD/3 decoder
- is able to update sound projects of mSD and mSD/3 decoders
- better mfx-suppprt as the Esu EcOS
- PC software available to expand the screen, show different controls, layout, magnetic articles, switches etc. Simultaneously on several screens (not possible with Esu)

The new CS3 has less functionality and is much more expensive.

Moritz
Offline David Dewar  
#40 Posted : 27 May 2018 22:01:23(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
- best price for value
- stable
- PC software available to expand the screen, show different controls, layout, magnetic articles, switches etc. Simultaneously on several screens (not possible with Esu)

Moritz

Agree with that. Any CS2 is great value but I am keeping mine even when I get the CS3.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline TEEWolf  
#41 Posted : 27 May 2018 22:19:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

We appear to have a marklin users site that should be also called also buy ESU stuff instead.

Marklin ditched ESU ages ago thankfully and now even ESU are making overpriced locos in small numbers.

Not truth what you did wrote!
There is member here who use Ecos but also other manufactured digital system.
No...ESU locomotives is not overpriced than what Märklin do.

Hello Goofy,

this all may be so as it is and perhaps you write it. I do not care about it, but I ask you: why do you not look for a community like an ESU-User-Net (= EUN) and discuss your ESU problems there?

Indeed, I am not interested in ESU problems and/or strategies. I am satisfied with the ones from Märklin. I buy Märklin because always up to now, when I compared Märklin with its competitors, these competitors could not beat Märklin by their offers. And only TAMS was serious enough (and for this he has my respect, further attention and recommendation) to tell me too, he cannot compete with mfx decoders. He only is allowed to build fx-decoders because of patent laws.

This is a Märklin-User-Net (MUN) community - why cannot you accept this?

Regards

TEEWolf
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#42 Posted : 27 May 2018 22:25:30(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
- best price for value
- stable

Moritz

Agree with that. Any CS2 is great value but I am keeping mine even when I get the CS3.

Very wise, because then you always have a redundancy controller, always already a booster, if you need one and with a CS 3 you have the best and most functional and capable model railroad controller you may get at the moment.
Offline RayF  
#43 Posted : 28 May 2018 11:46:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
What I love about using Marklin decoders for conversions, especially in conjunction with their motor kits, is that you get a loco which works perfectly without fiddling with CV's for hours!

I have made many digital conversions of analogue and delta locos, well over fifty, and regularly use ESU as well as Marklin decoders. When well "tuned" an ESU decoder can give you very nice slow running, but they can be a headache to get right! The "self adjustment" mode they have rarely gives me good results so I don't bother with it any more, and the recommended CV settings in the manuals for the different Marklin motor types is rather hit-and-miss and also varies with each new generation of Lokpilot. These days I use ESU with a Hamo magnet as the cheapest option when converting a loco that does not easily take a Marklin 5 pole motor kit, but otherwise I prefer the latest Marklin decoders.

Before I updated my MS2 to the latest version (2.5 at the time) I had trouble using the ESU M4 (mfx) decoders. Registering would often not happen at all, and when it did it did not look right on the display. The latest version seems to be more reliable with my MS2.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Goofy  
#44 Posted : 28 May 2018 17:22:52(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Hello Goofy,

this all may be so as it is and perhaps you write it. I do not care about it, but I ask you: why do you not look for a community like an ESU-User-Net (= EUN) and discuss your ESU problems there?

Indeed, I am not interested in ESU problems and/or strategies. I am satisfied with the ones from Märklin. I buy Märklin because always up to now, when I compared Märklin with its competitors, these competitors could not beat Märklin by their offers. And only TAMS was serious enough (and for this he has my respect, further attention and recommendation) to tell me too, he cannot compete with mfx decoders. He only is allowed to build fx-decoders because of patent laws.

This is a Märklin-User-Net (MUN) community - why cannot you accept this?

Regards

TEEWolf

Confused Confused Confused
Who did said i have problem with the ESU?
I have never ever wrote to have problem with the ESU.
It´s Märklin/Trix i did had some problem with.

Yes...this is marklin-users forum...but TS Wasp did stand an question which digital station he wanted to buy by choice.
You should ask TS about that.
H0
Offline Purellum  
#45 Posted : 28 May 2018 22:29:24(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Well, as long as you don't use a Märklin controller, you are asking for problems.

You are trying to mix all different brands of decoders, controller, rolling stock and tracks; but always blame Märklin for your problems.

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Goofy  
#46 Posted : 29 May 2018 17:26:39(UTC)
Goofy

Cool

Well, as long as you don't use a Märklin controller, you are asking for problems.

You are trying to mix all different brands of decoders, controller, rolling stock and tracks; but always blame Märklin for your problems.

Per.

Cool

Confused Confused Confused
I don´t understand why you provocation with false information.
I did used MS2 and did also tested CS2 and CS3.
The fact is the problem with the Märklins decoder and theirs system do often failure.
Yes i mix but i have no problem by use ESU,Zimo and D&H decoder by use MS2 or Lenz system.
Today i use Lenz but i plan to buy Ecos but decides to wait until ESU do present new design and faster process in the Ecos.
TS can choice to buy what ever system he likes.
Märklin and ESU are not alone in the market.
Have you ever seen the new Z21 app in the market to download if you use Rocos Z21?
Go to the youtube and just learn the new system.

H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#47 Posted : 29 May 2018 18:13:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Cheers enjoy your trains
Chris

Sorry, but I just inserted "Ecos and CS 3" into the search function and got a feedback over 286 pages. Don't you think this will be enough about comparison of two controller by different techniques?

If you want to buy the old one, then buy Ecos. The CS 3 has already a 32 bit processor inside and are able to manage all formats from MM, fx, mfx, mfx+ to DCC and this very quick. Ecos, I do not know, because I use my CS 3+ with mfx, mfx+ and DCC with a great satisfaction. Ecos can do this only partially.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#48 Posted : 29 May 2018 18:19:41(UTC)
MaerklinLife

The fact is the problem with the Märklins decoder and theirs system do often failure.

I suggest you stop with your undocumented utterings and go with what ever digital system you use this week. I am sure you will be a happier man. Märklin is clearly too complicated for you.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Purellum  
#49 Posted : 29 May 2018 20:56:58(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Which false information??

You are now using Lenz, and when you had at MS2 you didn't update it, according to what you write.

Holding a CS2 or a CS3 for 5 minutes in a shop is not "testing"; but just "trying".

Even when your tracks are dirty, you blame Märklin. LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Goofy  
#50 Posted : 31 May 2018 18:05:45(UTC)
Goofy

Which false information??

You are now using Lenz, and when you had at MS2 you didn't update it, according to what you write.

Holding a CS2 or a CS3 for 5 minutes in a shop is not "testing"; but just "trying".

Even when your tracks are dirty, you blame Märklin. LOL

Per.

The latest update i did had on the Trix MS2 was 2.5 for 3 years ago.
Yes i use Lenz today.
No i did really testing both CS2 and CS3.
I did cleaned Märklin tracks with chemical gasoline 5 times and still Märklins track oxid while you have digital power remain on.
Flapper Flapper Flapper

I suggest TS to buy both CS3 and Ecos if TS feel unsure so why not both of it?

H0