Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2018 19:52:48(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good evening everyone. I have a 34341 that has issues with the engine.
The brush holder plate gets hot when in motion and at high speed the engine falters. I have lubricated it once already but nothing changes.
So I have ordered a new brush holder plate, motorschild, and new brushes hoping to fix the issue.
I didn't want to order the drum collector rotor because I don't think that the problem lies here. Anyway I want to clean it properly.
I already did it once but maybe it needs doing again. I got a fine needle and cleared between the cracks of the copper drums, used a fine cloth to clean all the muck off it.
Have you got any products to suggest for cleaning it? In Italy I know what to look for but here in UK I don't know what is available in shops or supermarkets for these kind of 'games'.
Thank you very much.
Marco
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2018 21:02:33(UTC)
Webmaster

The only thing that possibly generates heat is the rotor...

This happens when there is excessive load on the motor or if there is some electrical issue with it.

Excessive load can be eg a misaligned motor cover, hardened oil or dirt in motor/gears or other stuff that generates too much work resistance for the rotor.

The most common electrical issues with DCM motors are two...

• The "too much oil" syndrome causing electrical shorts inside the motor housing, meaning that the gaps between the rotor have been filled with carbon residue and causes shorts between the rotor segments.
    Too much oil dissolve the graphite brushes faster, which will leave some gooey residue in the gaps between the rotor poles. This can be scraped off with eg a pointy wooden toothpick.
    Märklin also had a moment in time where the DCM rotor gaps had a too sharp edge that shaved the brushes quite more than intended, also building graphite residue between the rotor poles - causing shorts .

• It could also be a short in a rotor coil and then the rotor should be completely changed to a new one.

So the first tip is to clean the motor housing inside thoroughly in case there has been some "over-oiling" historically.
The DCM motor should only be oiled at the axle ends. Very little oil on the gears in the motor housing of course, just a small drop or so.
I would also recommend to put a small drop of oil on the first motor gear axle end that is visible on the metal side of loco housing.

In my mind, the motor shield is the least likely candidate for the problems, unless misaligned... Mechanical resistance in gears, electrical rotor issues due to too much oil or a dirty/bad rotor are my best bets...

Others may of course have better tips, and all additional suggestions towards a solution are welcome.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2018 21:35:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
you may have separated a wire while cleaning the rotor
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2018 02:13:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I had some problems with my 34341 Re 4/4II 11294 which were alleviated when I adjusted the tension applied to the brushes.
The motor had been getting hot and giving off a burnt smell.
Once I adjusted the brushes and oiled the motor, it resumed normal operation.

Have you noticed any smell? Does it smell like oil or burnt carbon? Is the lok making any unusual noise when running?

The 34341 was manufactured around the end of the period where Maerklin had been experiencing some issues with hardening oil. I don't know whether this might have played a role.

Proper maintenance should resolve your issue, especially if you replace the brushes and check the tension.

Regards

Mike C
Offline ocram63_uk  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2018 12:30:04(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I noticed the malfunction of the engine first at high speeds and then when I touched the motor shield I found it hot where the axel rotates.
What product can I use to remove the excess oil from the gears and the muck inside the motor shield?
The smell is of something burning.
Thank you for your replies
Marco
Offline torhb  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2018 17:12:20(UTC)
torhb

Hi Marco

Zippo lighter fluid is often recommended in this forum and works very well.

Regards
Tor
Tor Harald Bøhler
Oppegård, Norway
Offline ocram63_uk  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2018 23:41:50(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hi Tor,
thank you for this hint. I have the Zippo fluid at home so this is not a problem to find :-)
Have a nice week end!!
Marco