Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Takis  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2018 08:40:33(UTC)
Takis

Greece   
Hello marklin users!

My name is Takis. I am from Athens, Greece.

Although I have a thing with train models since a little kid, I didn't get the chance until recently to start working on my first layout.

I already have the 2920 HO S kit (since the early 80s!) and I am planning to expand that a little bit.
I am using a track planing software called SCARM.

The kit I have, has tracks with numbers 51XX. That works perfectly in SCARM.

I just got from a friend some tracks with numbers 5076, 5039, 5070 etc. witch I can't find in SCARM.

Are these numbers from a discontinued series? Is there a chart with their equivalents, if any?
Or is there any other (free) track planing software that includes all marklin tracks?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2018 09:19:57(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Takis Go to Quoted Post
Hello marklin users!

My name is Takis. I am from Athens, Greece.

Although I have a thing with train models since a little kid, I didn't get the chance until recently to start working on my first layout.

I already have the 2920 HO S kit (since the early 80s!) and I am planning to expand that a little bit.
I am using a track planing software called SCARM.

The kit I have, has tracks with numbers 51XX. That works perfectly in SCARM.

I just got from a friend some tracks with numbers 5076, 5039, 5070 etc. witch I can't find in SCARM.

Are these numbers from a discontinued series? Is there a chart with their equivalents, if any?
Or is there any other (free) track planing software that includes all marklin tracks?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi Takis,

Those sound like Primex track codes. They are geometrically the same as other M track so you should be able to match many of them with your existing track pieces, you probably notice they are somewhat less detailed than the other track?

You should be able to get some Primex catalogues here which could help.

http://www.marklincafe.c...s%20antiguos/PDF/Primex/

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Takis  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2018 09:34:27(UTC)
Takis

Greece   
Hello Steve

Thanks a lot for your reply.
They match perfectly with my other pieces yes. As far as the detail they seem equal to me, except the base color.
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2018 09:58:24(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Takis,

Welcome to the forum.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2018 14:06:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Takis Go to Quoted Post
Hello Steve

Thanks a lot for your reply.
They match perfectly with my other pieces yes. As far as the detail they seem equal to me, except the base color.

That would be typical of Primex track, it has a creamy colour compared to Marklin track.

Offline Harvey  
#6 Posted : 16 May 2018 17:43:30(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
All

Are Primex track completely compatible with Marklin M track? And with Marklin running stock?

Reason for the question is that I have only M track and some have rusted (to much). I can look for M track on e-bay (but that would be old parts). If Primex is fully compatible and still manufactured, I would look at that, if I need to replace any M track. I am unfamiliar with Primex

Regards
Harvey
Offline Markus Schild  
#7 Posted : 16 May 2018 18:31:07(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Harvey,

PRIMEX was brand used by Märklin mainly for self-service stores. The railway products were made by Märklin with Märklin - tools. At the track the only difference is the missing of one colour. Other products were simplified other ways.

Regards

Marksu
Offline rbw993  
#8 Posted : 16 May 2018 20:00:29(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
It is no longer manufactured.

Roger
Offline Mike863  
#9 Posted : 17 May 2018 00:59:25(UTC)
Mike863

United States   
Harvey,

Bottom line is all Marklin metal track is 'old' track' - Marklin or Primex which are equivalent. If you care about the overall color match, stick with Marklin. If not or you want to redo a whole section, then Primex is fair game. Just look for pieces in good condition that match what you have and don't overpay - about a buck each for regular straights and curves, more for shorts and $15+ for a decent turnout.

Some select pieces have extra trouble. I have had many 5120 narrow radius curves 'go bad'. They work at first and then can overheat, have the plastic holding the center rail/pukos shift, and short out. Get enough to keep replacing these if you have a problem. Also 5142 curved turnouts can be a problem. Remember these are metal tracks. Bend the whole piece up or down (some got stepped on). Bend the rails with pliers at the joints until you have a good fit.

Another thing to try is to rub down the rusted track with teflon - silicone lube from hardware store. The rust won't come back and the track will look great for years. Getting rid of paint is another story.

Mike