Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2018 23:28:45(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I have the V140 Diesel from the Märklin 37203 DGR Forefathers set and in the process of converting it from factory digital to sound using a Märklin 60946 sound decoder. The LED panels located at each end have 3 wires in the normal Märklin lighting colors of gray (front),yellow (rear) and orange. Each panel contains 5 surface mounted LED's, 2 white ones and 3 red ones with the white lit in the direction of travel and the red showing to the rear.

Since I had 2 of each color, I wired the two gray together and soldered them to correct pad and likewise the two yellow together to the correct pad. When testing the engine all the LED's show red when in reverse and the engine will move in reverse. When placed in the forward position the engine will not move and the two lower LED's flicker rapidly on and off. Confused

I remove the LED panels and attempted to find out how the wiring works. When I place + voltage on the orange wire and - on the yellow wire the 2 lower red LED will light. Any other combination produces no response.

Any ideas on how the panels should be wired using this decoder or a way to check them to see if they are working correctly would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chuck

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

Offline Ross  
#2 Posted : 01 May 2018 09:12:17(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Chuck,

I had a look on my 37210 V140 and the wiring to the LEDs is as you show them.

When you tested the LED's did you use a current limiting resistor?

The flickering you mention sounds like the LED's have been damaged.

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline skeeterbuck  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2018 12:49:52(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chuck,

I had a look on my 37210 V140 and the wiring to the LEDs is as you show them.

When you tested the LED's did you use a current limiting resistor?

The flickering you mention sounds like the LED's have been damaged.

Hi Ross, No, I used a 3 volt DC power supply to test them. From my experience, when LED are damaged they will no longer work at all.

Since my original post, I have since rewired the V140 using the factory decoder that originally was installed and they all work fine. I'm thinking that this decoder is specially designed with circuitry for using these LED panels. Not being able to reverse engineer the decoder, I'm thinking that in order to have the LED work correctly, maybe you need two power sources feeding the LEDs to have the white lights work. I was only using one 3v power source.

I have decided to leave well enough alone for now. At least I was able to successfully convert the motor to ball bearings. ThumpUp

Chuck