Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2018 01:10:27(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi gents,

Just wondering if anyone has gone down the road of using a hall sensor with magnets on the wheel to synchronize the chuffs?

The hall sensor is suggested and widely available (TLE4905L) however details on magnets are not provided by ESU and Google search hasn't yielded much.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2018 13:15:03(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Applor

I have a "reverse experience": while upgrading my BR 45 (37 450) to install a MSD 3 decoder,
I did not bother to connect the existing hall sensor and wheel magnet because I could adjust the "chuff" sound perfectly with wheel retation and the number of cylinders.

Seems to me that installing the magnet on the axle is quite some work, it may require some milling of the chassis, etc.).
On my decoders, using MSD and MSD 3 with a CS2 it was possible to have 2, 3 or 4 "Chuffs" per wheel turn.

Cheers

Jean
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2018 15:39:10(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
What Jean said.

Simpler solution is to time the chuffs to wheel rotations.
1) no additional cost
2) it works
3) any non linear relationship between chuffs and wheel speed cannot be seen at higher speeds.
4) gluing magnets to axles does not sound like fun and no doubt will eventually be found lying trackside.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2018 01:13:04(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Thanks for the replies gents. Note however that this thread is in relation to 1 gauge - I also do not and would not do this work for a H0 scale locomotive.

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
What Jean said.

Simpler solution is to time the chuffs to wheel rotations.
1) no additional cost
2) it works
3) any non linear relationship between chuffs and wheel speed cannot be seen at higher speeds.
4) gluing magnets to axles does not sound like fun and no doubt will eventually be found lying trackside.

I have found with some of my H0 models that it is very difficult to get an accurate sync with the chuffs at low speed compared to high speed.
While it is true that its not noticeable at higher speeds, when you're talking 1 gauge in particular, I think that a definite sync would be easier and more beneficial.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline ShannonN  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2018 06:12:16(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Hi gents,

Just wondering if anyone has gone down the road of using a hall sensor with magnets on the wheel to synchronize the chuffs?

The hall sensor is suggested and widely available (TLE4905L) however details on magnets are not provided by ESU and Google search hasn't yielded much.

Small Neodymium Disc magnets are very strong and easy to get from ebay or Aliexpress or if in oz HERE

I have about 100 I got for a project using hall sensors to trigger input for a Maglev train.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ShannonN