Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lewistrain  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2018 03:53:23(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Hey gents, I am thinking about doing some analog conversions and am only looking for the most basic of functions.
What are some good choices for this sort of thing? Makes and models etc.
I am using a mobile station 2.
Im not after fancy decoders at all, just want the old locos to run independently.
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 20 April 2018 04:14:23(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi,

the old delta decoders will give cheap and cheerful digital operation, but the running quality at low speed isn't too flash. If you don't want to go down the road of changing all the motors, the uhlenbrock decoder can use the original motor and still give reasonable performance if the cv's are set correctly. One of the members has one in the for sale section I believe.
Other option would be a lokpilot, the originals used to run using the standard motor as an option, but again it wasn't too smooth at low speed. I'm not sure if the latest version of lokpilot is the same, but if you get the lokpilot and a hamo magnet (available from dealer along with lokpilot) you should get excellent running for not too much money spent.
Cheers....

Mike
Offline lewistrain  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2018 04:25:13(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Hmm il look up these lokpilot decoders and seewhat I can find.
How does one go about changing tbe cv's? Do you have to have a decoder to usb interface or is it done via the controller alone?
Ii have an sk800that I installed a 5 pole and a decoder but the decoder was quite expensiveat the time, and so was the motor. Would be nice to use the original 3 pole units if possible.
Offline mvd71  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2018 07:20:40(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
The cost of decoders has come down quite considerably in the last few years, have a look on here www.toottoot.co.nz

They have stock, and are in a similar time zone if you need to phone for advice. They are Marklin authorised and give great service.

What locos are you looking at converting? In the past I used to try to minimise cost too, and I like the idea of being able to reuse the original motor, but these days if you are looking at the basic decoder with five pole motor kit, it comes to $127 NZD plus shipping.

Cheers...

Mike
Offline mvd71  
#5 Posted : 20 April 2018 07:27:17(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Search for marklin 60972 for the decoder, and the motor kit I'd either 60941, 60943, or 60944, depending on the motor type.

You may be able to do it a bit cheaper with the lokpilot and hamo magnet, but not huge amounts, and the low speed performance is never as good as when you fit the five pole motor (lokpilot is not much cheaper than basic marklin decoder.

I should have given you more info in the first post, sorry.... Bit slow upstairs today

Cheers....

Mike
Offline Ausipeet  
#6 Posted : 20 April 2018 13:23:43(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Also worth a look would be the TAMS decoders at under 29 Euros per unit for the very basic decoder well worth a look.
Offline skeeterbuck  
#7 Posted : 20 April 2018 14:59:19(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I recently purchased a Primex 33005 that has the later Delta decoder with the 4 slider switches. When it arrived I tested it with all switches off for analog operation and was rather impressed with the slow operating performance considering it has a 3 pole FCM. I would think that in digital mode it would perform just as well if not slightly better. Not a creeper, but very acceptable overall to my thinking. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Chuck
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 21 April 2018 04:01:38(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
Also worth a look would be the TAMS decoders at under 29 Euros per unit for the very basic decoder well worth a look.

I forgot about the tams decoder, good idea. Although do they cope with analogue automatically?
Offline mvd71  
#9 Posted : 21 April 2018 04:07:40(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
I recently purchased a Primex 33005 that has the later Delta decoder with the 4 slider switches. When it arrived I tested it with all switches off for analog operation and was rather impressed with the slow operating performance considering it has a 3 pole FCM. I would think that in digital mode it would perform just as well if not slightly better. Not a creeper, but very acceptable overall to my thinking. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

The delta decoders do perform nicely when all switches are in the off position and you run it as analogue. The reason being is that in this position it is effectively no more than an electronic reversing unit, and voltage is feed to the motor in the same way as good old analogue locos worked, hence your smooth running experience. However with an address set with the switches and operated in digital, the motor will now be driven through the decoder, you will notice a considerable degradation in the low speed performance.

That said, if your budget is tight, some second hand delta decoders in the right loco will at least get you going digitally ThumpUp

Cheers....

Mike
Offline lewistrain  
#10 Posted : 21 April 2018 11:51:53(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
The cost of decoders has come down quite considerably in the last few years, have a look on here www.toottoot.co.nz

They have stock, and are in a similar time zone if you need to phone for advice. They are Marklin authorised and give great service.

What locos are you looking at converting? In the past I used to try to minimise cost too, and I like the idea of being able to reuse the original motor, but these days if you are looking at the basic decoder with five pole motor kit, it comes to $127 NZD plus shipping.

Cheers...

Mike

Hey mike tha ks for that, Im looking to convert some old analog units off ebay as I find them. Wouldnt mind some old sante fe f7s maybe?
The other thing I would like to do is convert my hornby dublo over to digital and run them on c track, this will of course be quite an undertaking that will cost a bomb in new wheels for all the wagons and coaches.
But I really like my dublo stuff, its so solid and well made.
I just really like the heavy dutyness of the old dublo and marklin locos. I verymuch dislike how delicate and weak my new marklin stuff is.
And lets face it, no matter how you dress it up, these trains are toys.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lewistrain
Offline PeFu  
#11 Posted : 21 April 2018 15:54:25(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   

I forgot about the tams decoder, good idea. Although do they cope with analogue automatically?

Yes they do. But in the Tams manual, you will find tve following note:

”Old analogue driving transformers (e.g. models in a blue housing from Märklin**) are not suitable for use with digital decoders in analogue operation! These transformers have been designed for the older supply voltage of 220 V and, due to construction, generate very high excess voltage impulses when changing the driving direction. When using them with the modern supply voltage of 230 V too high excess voltage impulses can occur, damaging electronic parts on the decoder. For that reason only use driving transformers designed for a net voltage of 230 V.”
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline mvd71  
#12 Posted : 23 April 2018 11:03:03(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Lewis,

I like your idea, it's fun converting locos.

Cheers...
Offline mvd71  
#13 Posted : 23 April 2018 11:04:21(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

Yes they do. But in the Tams manual, you will find tve following note:

”Old analogue driving transformers (e.g. models in a blue housing from Märklin**) are not suitable for use with digital decoders in analogue operation! These transformers have been designed for the older supply voltage of 220 V and, due to construction, generate very high excess voltage impulses when changing the driving direction. When using them with the modern supply voltage of 230 V too high excess voltage impulses can occur, damaging electronic parts on the decoder. For that reason only use driving transformers designed for a net voltage of 230 V.”

Ah yes, a friend of mine did that, the smoke unit was activated as a result LOL