Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2018 04:50:35(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi all,

Just a quick review as I don't believe many people have experience with the new cardboard laser cut kits.
I recently purchased and assembled the steel bridge from Noch, item 67020.

Advantages: excellent detail. Cardboard is coloured and matt finish, so no painting required. Precision assembly. No ugly glue joins.

Disadvantages: not as sturdy as plastic (it can bend when handling roughly). Expensive. Unknown longevity. You can't 'undo' certain mistakes like you can with plastic.

So in the box you get a small tube of white glue which is workable for a short period and dries clear. The kit comes in a number of cardboard sheets.
The detailing is excellent, the rivets protrude just like in a plastic kit but being a matt paint finish means it looks far better than a plastic kit that would need painting to match the finish.
There is a little 'tag' that connects the piece to the sheet which must be cut. It is very small and I found a sharp hobby knife works best but usually requires cutting from both sides.
The pieces all interlock very well but that also means no real room for mistakes if something is out of alignment.
The only section that wasn't so precise was the hand rail as the support arms had a bit of movement.
If you take your time and check you are assembling correctly you should not have any problems.

And here follows a sequence of assembly pictures:

lasercut1.JPG
lasercut2.JPG
lasercut3.JPG
lasercut4.JPG
lasercut5.JPG

A number of smaller steel plate details now get added:

lasercut6.JPG

Finished! Might do some light weathering later.

lasercut7.JPG

I can recommend these kits, especially for those who want a high level of detail but are uncomfortable (or don't own) using an airbrush and doing other finishing works required to make a plastic kit look good.

edit: I forgot to mention and show but the bridge DOES come with the brick support structures either end - Noch hardfoam, which look great

Edited by user 04 April 2018 10:48:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:01:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The big question is, can you lay track on it and drive a train over it without the bridge collapsing? Confused
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2018 10:17:00(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
The big question is, can you lay track on it and drive a train over it without the bridge collapsing? Confused

Yes it is quite sturdy and Noch claims it can support 1kg.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor