Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mcnall  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2018 19:17:15(UTC)
mcnall

United States   
Martin Silz posted an article on how to convert a AC motor by removing the mechanical relay and and soldering two 1N4001 diodes to the coil wires in opposing direction and then attaching them to ground as one piece running with DC power thus utilizing the direction relay of DC transformer and not having to purchase an elecltrical decoder. This of course means running in analog mode. I have done this with a little 3000 unit and must say it runs smoothly and well at slow speeds. However, the motor does seem noisy. Can someone give me an explanation for this and is there any danger of harming the motor by running it with a MRC Tech transformer? Can this be done with a locomotive that has a permanent magnet and 5 pole SFCM setup? Thanks
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2018 19:35:15(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: mcnall Go to Quoted Post
Can this be done with a locomotive that has a permanent magnet and 5 pole SFCM setup?
For a loco with DC motor you do not need diodes - just connect one wire of the motor to the frame, the other to the centre rail.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mcnall  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2018 21:31:58(UTC)
mcnall

United States   
Wow that's easy enough. Just took out the 60760 decoder from my 3031 and wired her up and she runs way better with the DC transformer than with the Marklin 6646. I really think you need to have a digital control station to set CV numbers to get decent analog running with the decoders. The 5 pole SFCM set up is much quieter than the 3 pole w/diode rig. Are there any other Marklin folks doing this or is this anathema to a purist? Believe me I appreciate German craftsmanship and believe the Europeans are way ahead of the game in the real railroad world. America is all big freight and long spurs these days. Thanks for the answer.
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 31 March 2018 22:30:14(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Martin Silz posted an article on how to convert a AC motor by removing the mechanical relay and and soldering two 1N4001 diodes to the coil wires in opposing direction and then attaching them to ground as one piece running with DC power thus utilizing the direction relay of DC transformer and not having to purchase an elecltrical decoder. This of course means running in analog mode. I have done this with a little 3000 unit and must say it runs smoothly and well at slow speeds. However, the motor does seem noisy. Can someone give me an explanation for this and is there any danger of harming the motor by running it with a MRC Tech transformer? Can this be done with a locomotive that has a permanent magnet and 5 pole SFCM setup? Thanks

Hi
yes the conversion with two diodes is a well known and very convenient solution for a quick conversion to analog DC.
In your case , you are using an MRC power supply, it's completely normal you'll have that noise with a Märklin motor.
At low to medium speen, the MRC delivers **pulsed** DC. This allows "can" motors with flywheels (like the ones on most DC engines) to run at very slow speed.
But Märklin AC engines have a different mechanical characteristic (less mechanical inertia) and will indeed vibrate more.
I don't think it would really arm the motor, but honestly I haven't subjected any of my locos to such a prolonged test.
Sorry for this somewhat inconclusive answer...

Cheers

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
H0
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 31 March 2018 22:48:45(UTC)
H0

I really think you need to have a digital control station to set CV numbers to get decent analog running with the decoders.
The 60760 has no CVs that allow to adjust it to the motor. It comes with the 60941 motor. I don't know how good it works with 60943 or 60944.
Better decoders have CVs that allow to optimise them for the motor in use.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage