Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2018 19:19:25(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi

Many people criticize Canada Post but the US Post is very slow compared to Canada Post. More than 3 days that USPS must take possession of my package at my seller.

It's time to wake up USPS

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2018 22:53:29(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Not sure what you are saying with "must take possession". A shipper can 'create' a shipment label that may show up on a tracking system, but until the package is actually handed to a US Postal worker, its not going anywhere. Then, at border crossings, there is the wait in customs.

Inside the US then we suffer from the mess that is the delivery process to our homes, where the deliveries can happen from a host of different people using varying criteria about where they may leave the package and when. For most of us, who no longer are allowed to have a mailbox attached to our homes, this means the mail may be left at our doorstep, it may be in a street mailbox or group mailbox down the road, or we may have a slip of paper in that mailbox or attached to our door requiring us to go to the post office to pick up, where the postal employees may or may not be able to find the package. Its been time eliminate the US Postal Service for a long time. They are this semi-private-government-supported-civil-service harry mess that just cannot be killed it seems.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 29 March 2018 23:26:05(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi

Many people criticize Canada Post but the US Post is very slow compared to Canada Post. More than 3 days that USPS must take possession of my package at my seller.

It's time to wake up USPS

Thewolf

3 days that's only the start of the 2 week journey to Canada!

Good luck in getting before the 2 weeks, if you do let us know.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline sjbartels  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2018 23:56:02(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Not sure what you are saying with "must take possession". A shipper can 'create' a shipment label that may show up on a tracking system, but until the package is actually handed to a US Postal worker, its not going anywhere. Then, at border crossings, there is the wait in customs.

Inside the US then we suffer from the mess that is the delivery process to our homes, where the deliveries can happen from a host of different people using varying criteria about where they may leave the package and when. For most of us, who no longer are allowed to have a mailbox attached to our homes, this means the mail may be left at our doorstep, it may be in a street mailbox or group mailbox down the road, or we may have a slip of paper in that mailbox or attached to our door requiring us to go to the post office to pick up, where the postal employees may or may not be able to find the package. Its been time eliminate the US Postal Service for a long time. They are this semi-private-government-supported-civil-service harry mess that just cannot be killed it seems.

Yep! That pretty much sums it up!! BigGrin
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2018 03:30:24(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know what TheWolf and Michel are talking about. As Minok stated, the tracking code is generated when the shipper prints out the shipping label online and will be indicated as "Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item" . Once that is done, the parcel has to be taken to the post office, drop off point or picked up. At that point, the tracking will be updated to "Accepted at USPS Origin Facility". It then will be "In Transit to Next Facility" until it reaches your local post office and is delivered. Intermediate scans will show regional facilities where the item is scanned along the way.

If the package is sent by air, it will go to the regional terminal where it will be shipped to Canada. There are several Points of Entry (POE) for US Mail being handed over to Canada Post. Those facilities include Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. From there, the packages will be routed by Canada Post to delivery. It can occur that a Montreal bound parcel will enter Canada at Toronto (Mississauga), which can add a day or two to the delivery process. Goods that are subject to tax and/or duty will be processed by Customs officers stationed at the import facilities and then handed over to Canada Post for delivery and collection.

If TheWolf and Michel do not like this procedure, they can choose to ship their items to a forwarding address near the border and pick up their goods and pay tax and duty at the border. The advantage might be that they can fill up their cars for USD$2.78 a gallon, which works out to about CAD$1 a litre, compared to CAD$1.39 in Montreal this week.

What I do not understand about USPS is the automatic "In Transit" messages when there is no fresh scan after a 24H period, nor how certain types of mail take different routes.
I have had inbound parcels labelled as "Priority Mail International" and others as "E-Parcels" some go from NYC (JFK) to Albany and then up to Plattsburgh, while others go from ISC NY to Jersey City, then on to Springfield MA, then Albany and Plattsburgh.

What I do like is the fact that I can fill up on the cheap and don't have to pay the Canada Post Customs Fee on each package that I receive.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Thewolf  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2018 14:21:45(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   

I must have written at least 1000 times that my native language is not English but French.

Taking possession has been translated word for word from French into English.

Among the meanings that can be given in French to this sentence, the meaning of the sentence simply means:''I take the package in my hands and I carry it somewhere''.

One of the particularities of the French language is that it is rich in innuendo and understanding.

I make an effort to ensure that my English is up to the task and I will not make fun of an Anglophone who tries to speak French.

So I'd rather be safe than sorry. Have respect for my efforts

Thewolf
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2018 14:37:33(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I don't know what TheWolf and Michel are talking about.

If TheWolf and Michel do not like this procedure, they can choose to ship their items to a forwarding address near the border and pick up their goods and pay tax and duty at the border. The advantage might be that they can fill up their cars for USD$2.78 a gallon, which works out to about CAD$1 a litre, compared to CAD$1.39 in Montreal this week.

Regards

Mike C

Where did I write that I sent something??

In my first post, I wrote '' seller'' , it seems to me it's very different from '' buyer '', no ?

So before you answer, you have to read it correctly and , sorry, but I don't care about the price of gas. I live very well without a car

What I noticed and reported: my package is ready on March 27 at 10.28 am at my seller's ( not my buyer) and that it is the 30th, USPS has not yet done its job. According to my salesman it is USPS which must make the pick up and not him which must go to carry it to the post office

Thewolf
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2018 16:04:37(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

So before you answer, you have to read it correctly

I've read the entire thread about 5 times now, and I think I understand it now.

However; I still don't know if the seller weren't home when the postman came by, or if the postman didn't show up at all ??

I will not make fun of an Anglophone who tries to speak French.

No; but you spend a lot of time blaming others for not understanding your posts ( Pun un-intended Blushing )

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 30 March 2018 16:37:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I don't know what TheWolf and Michel are talking about.

Regards

Mike C

Where did I write that I sent something??

In my first post, I wrote '' seller'' , it seems to me it's very different from '' buyer '', no ?

So before you answer, you have to read it correctly and , sorry, but I don't care about the price of gas. I live very well without a car

What I noticed and reported: my package is ready on March 27 at 10.28 am at my seller's ( not my buyer) and that it is the 30th, USPS has not yet done its job. According to my salesman it is USPS which must make the pick up and not him which must go to carry it to the post office

Thewolf

Actually I thought you wrote down the situation correctly. I understood what you meant by 'possession', after all it is a legality as in "to have something in your possession when searched" (even if it doesn't belong to you).

I also understood that you were writing from the point of view of a buyer who was tracking their parcel, and that although the seller had registered the parcel by whatever means, it wasn't moving thrugh the postal system after aperiod of time.

However I have items where the tracking doesn't update until the item arrives at my place. Real useful when trying to track the
item - NOT.

Offline Thewolf  
#10 Posted : 30 March 2018 17:15:11(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
I don't care about Purellum's comments and PMPeter's likes every time I'm contradicted, PMPeter looks like a monkey clapping behind the bars of a cage.

In Quebec we say:''' Je décrisse d'ici et foutez-vous le où je pense'''

And since many of you are hypocrites, have fun on my back. I don't care what you say. No time to waste with people like PMPeter, Purellun and other clowns

Given your level of French, use the google translator

Thewolf
Offline PMPeter  
#11 Posted : 30 March 2018 17:37:20(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I don't care about Purellum's comments and PMPeter's likes every time I'm contradicted, PMPeter looks like a monkey clapping behind the bars of a cage.

In Quebec we say:''' Je décrisse d'ici et foutez-vous le où je pense'''

And since many of you are hypocrites, have fun on my back. I don't care what you say. No time to waste with people like PMPeter, Purellun and other clowns

Given your level of French, use the google translator

Thewolf

I don't know what your problem is. I tried to help you several times on several issues. You accused me of being insulting and when others pointed out to you that i did nothing wrong and that you really should apologize, you did nothing. Now you call me a monkey. WTF!!

I hope the moderators close this topic because you are becoming an embarrassment as a fellow Canadian hiding behind a translator issue. This is BS.
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 30 March 2018 18:14:09(UTC)
Minok

United States   

I must have written at least 1000 times that my native language is not English but French.

The problem I had with understanding isn't the literal translation so much but that the phrases that are produced by translation software don't always make sense in the resulting combination and order. Part is that is that in English people say things differently than the literal translation. You know that the basic grammatical structure is sentences is completely different between French and English.

In English in the US we would say that the USPS has not yet picked up the package...". I now understand what you are saying. The USPS does provide a pickup service but every shipper can certainly bring the package to the Post Office. If they want the post office to come to then then they have to be there when the postal person shows up. If it's a home then there is the complication the postal employee may knock and the home owner not hear it. If it is a business address that is open then I expect the USPS would come by every day Monday through Friday but not on the weekends.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Thewolf  
#13 Posted : 30 March 2018 18:42:01(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

I hope the moderators close this topic because you are becoming an embarrassment as a fellow Canadian hiding behind a translator issue. This is BS.

PMPeter,

Embarrassment as a fellow Canadian ?

When I say that you have the art to insult me, you are unable to remember that I am Belgian....who lives in Quebec. (I have mentioned my original nationality dozens of times in this forum)

The reason for the Canadian flag is simple: no Quebec flag in the library. And it seems to me that I have the right to put the flag of the country in which I live

For your personal information, it is good that you know that I am for the independence of Quebec and the preservation of the French language.

You wrote : '' This is BS'' ....BS ???...BS ?? je ne suis pas sur le BS (bien-être social au Québec)

Thewolf
Offline Thewolf  
#14 Posted : 30 March 2018 18:43:56(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   

The problem I had with understanding isn't the literal translation so much but that the phrases that are produced by translation software don't always make sense in the resulting combination and order. Part is that is that in English people say things differently than the literal translation. You know that the basic grammatical structure is sentences is completely different between French and English.

I agree with you with this

Thewolf
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 30 March 2018 18:48:49(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

If they want the post office to come to then then they have to be there when the postal person shows up.

Exactly, this is why I asked; but apparently Thewolf don't care when I ask.

I don't care about Purellum's comments

It is of course also easier to complain about not being helped if he at the same time refuses to be helped. LOL

PMPeter looks like a monkey clapping behind the bars of a cage.

I think / hope something went terrible wrong in the translation here, even though I doubt your English can be that bad. Blink

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 30 March 2018 18:51:40(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Je pense que je vais prendre le temps pour repondre a LeLoup (aka TheWolf) en francais. L'expediteur prepare l'expedition par ordi. Il va sur usps.com et remplit les informations. A ce point la, cet information va apparaitre sur le reseau informatique de USPS. Pour un envoi au Canada, il se peut que l'information va aussi paraitre sur canadapost.ca.
Dependant du lieu d'envoi, et s'il s'agit d'un expediteur privee ou commerciale, il se peut que le colis sera ramasse par le service postale. Pour des utilisateurs commerciales, le courrier sortant est ramasse par le livreur. Dans d'autre cas, il existe un contrat stipulant que le courrier sera ramasse sur certains dates, e.g. les Mardis et les Jeudis ou un fois par semaine.
Ceci peut entrainer des delais d'expedition, que vous, en tant que destinataire ne comprenez pas, et qui ne sont pas expliques par le service postale.

The shipper prepares the package online. He fills out the related forms, prints out the shipping label and it is billed to their account. At this point, the information (tracking) appears on the USPS network. For a shipment to Canada, it may also appear on the Canadapost.ca site, most often as "A label has been created" or similar.
Depending on where the package is being shipped from and whether the shipper is a private person or business, the parcel might be picked up by the post office, left at a drop off point or post office. For commercial clients, outgoing mail is picked up by the regular delivery service. In other cases, it may occur that pickup occurs on specific days (e.g. Tuesdays and Thursdays) or once a week.
This can create delays in shipping that you, as recipient won't understand and is not explained by the postal authorities.

Having worked in a mailroom of a government agency, I can attest to the way in which outgoing mail was placed in special baskets that were picked up by the post office each day. There were frequent cases where staff had dropped off packages, letters, etc to be mailed that had to be either put into a bin for the next scheduled pickup or in special cases, handed to us to be taken to the post office in person, which usually cut into my lunch hour.

In even more rare occurrences, the shipper might choose an outside shipper, who picks up the parcel from their location and then delivers it into the postal system. This can occur locally, regionally or internationally. An example of this would be the new service used by ebay, operated by Pitney Bowes that is used in certain countries and regions, or the combined services of UPS or Fedex with USPS. In those cases, packages receive both courrier and postal tracking numbers and USPS normally handles the final delivery. Shipments to Canada like this might be imported into Canada by a private carrier and then handed over to Canada Post at the border for final delivery.

I hope that this provides you with a little more understanding about how things work.

I hope that you get your item soon.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#17 Posted : 30 March 2018 18:59:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You wrote : '' This is BS'' ....BS ???...BS ?? je ne suis pas sur le BS (bien-être social au Québec)

Thewolf

I think that by BS, he does not mean welfare (bien-etre social) but is rather talking about bovine excrement (bullsheet)

What makes Quebec (and Canada) special is that we have taken the English and the French and have created something unique, or at least, that was the vision of Pierre Trudeau's bilingual country. At the same time, there are those on both sides who want to exploit the issue for political gain. French in Quebec was not under threat. After the Quiet Revolution, the concept of French being menaced was used by some groups to control the people in the same way that religion had been used before.
Today, the issues of immigration and refugees are being used to distract the masses in the same way.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Thewolf  
#18 Posted : 30 March 2018 19:19:15(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Je pense que je vais prendre le temps pour repondre a LeLoup (aka TheWolf) en francais. L'expediteur prepare l'expedition par ordi. Il va sur usps.com et remplit les informations. A ce point la, cet information va apparaitre sur le reseau informatique de USPS. Pour un envoi au Canada, il se peut que l'information va aussi paraitre sur canadapost.ca.
Dependant du lieu d'envoi, et s'il s'agit d'un expediteur privee ou commerciale, il se peut que le colis sera ramasse par le service postale. Pour des utilisateurs commerciales, le courrier sortant est ramasse par le livreur. Dans d'autre cas, il existe un contrat stipulant que le courrier sera ramasse sur certains dates, e.g. les Mardis et les Jeudis ou un fois par semaine.
Ceci peut entrainer des delais d'expedition, que vous, en tant que destinataire ne comprenez pas, et qui ne sont pas expliques par le service postale.

The shipper prepares the package online. He fills out the related forms, prints out the shipping label and it is billed to their account. At this point, the information (tracking) appears on the USPS network. For a shipment to Canada, it may also appear on the Canadapost.ca site, most often as "A label has been created" or similar.
Depending on where the package is being shipped from and whether the shipper is a private person or business, the parcel might be picked up by the post office, left at a drop off point or post office. For commercial clients, outgoing mail is picked up by the regular delivery service. In other cases, it may occur that pickup occurs on specific days (e.g. Tuesdays and Thursdays) or once a week.
This can create delays in shipping that you, as recipient won't understand and is not explained by the postal authorities.

Having worked in a mailroom of a government agency, I can attest to the way in which outgoing mail was placed in special baskets that were picked up by the post office each day. There were frequent cases where staff had dropped off packages, letters, etc to be mailed that had to be either put into a bin for the next scheduled pickup or in special cases, handed to us to be taken to the post office in person, which usually cut into my lunch hour.

In even more rare occurrences, the shipper might choose an outside shipper, who picks up the parcel from their location and then delivers it into the postal system. This can occur locally, regionally or internationally. An example of this would be the new service used by ebay, operated by Pitney Bowes that is used in certain countries and regions, or the combined services of UPS or Fedex with USPS. In those cases, packages receive both courrier and postal tracking numbers and USPS normally handles the final delivery. Shipments to Canada like this might be imported into Canada by a private carrier and then handed over to Canada Post at the border for final delivery.

I hope that this provides you with a little more understanding about how things work.

I hope that you get your item soon.

Regards

Mike C

Mike,

Thank you for this and it is appreciated.

The source of the disagreement was that I thought the US Post worked the same way as Canada Post or Purolater.

After leaving accounting and my position as Controller in 2004 in Montreal, I worked as shipper in various companies here.

At the end of each day, Canada Post or Purolator would pick up...every day.

The US Post was notified 3 days ago and they picked it up today. Only today.

Here with my US salesman I did not know that the US post office passes to make the pick up only certain days of the week

To finish with Canada Post, from memory from my time as an accounting controller. Canada Post would pick up the items every day if the contract contained such an agreement

If not, like Mike my friend does, the seller will take the package to the post office

Thewolf

Offline Thewolf  
#19 Posted : 30 March 2018 19:32:19(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   

Thewolf

I think that by BS, he does not mean welfare (bien-etre social) but is rather talking about bovine excrement (bullsheet)

What makes Quebec (and Canada) special is that we have taken the English and the French and have created something unique, or at least, that was the vision of Pierre Trudeau's bilingual country. At the same time, there are those on both sides who want to exploit the issue for political gain. French in Quebec was not under threat. After the Quiet Revolution, the concept of French being menaced was used by some groups to control the people in the same way that religion had been used before.
Today, the issues of immigration and refugees are being used to distract the masses in the same way.

Regards

Mike C

Don't worry... I understood what BS meant.

My sentence in French was written with the aim that I wanted to make fun of the BS

Finally, if I may, I know the history between Canada and Quebec very well.

I can fail a lot of Quebeckers on this. I can tell you that I passed 100% of the federal test for Canadian citizenship...in French.

I don't know what came over me when I talked about Quebec independence, but it's a subject I don't talk about and taboo in my eyes. Maybe the BS didn't pass.

Thewolf

Offline kweekalot  
#20 Posted : 30 March 2018 20:29:09(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
This thread is totally spiraling out of control so it's locked now.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by kweekalot