Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hics  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2018 00:42:20(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Hello.
I received a loco no. 3331. Unfortunately it doesn't go on my layout. It is an analogue M track with white transformer. Only lights are working. They change directions. A little buzzing can be heard from the engine but it is tiny.
3331.jpg3331 srodek.jpg
Can I try en engine by putting a power straight on it? If yes, where?
Many thanks
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2018 00:47:27(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, prior to that make sure to clean the motor of any residue and check the carbons, when cleaning also check that all axles move freely.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Hics  
#3 Posted : 29 March 2018 01:03:00(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
I will do it tomorrow and upgrade you with a results.
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2018 09:16:31(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

The decoder of this loco does not recognize the operation mode. For analogue operation all four dip - switches must be set to "OFF".

Regards

Markus
Offline Hics  
#5 Posted : 29 March 2018 09:34:25(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

The decoder of this loco does not recognize the operation mode. For analogue operation all four dip - switches must be set to "OFF".

Regards

Markus

Hello Markus.
Are you sure? This is not what it says on a box. Also on a decoder there is no switches. See picture above.box.jpg
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2018 10:06:44(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
There are no DIP switches.
Old Delta decoders without DIP switches recognise the operating mode automatically.
Later Delta decoders avoided license fees and required manual adjustment for analogue/digital mode.
The latest Delta decoders hat automatic detection again.

Sometimes 30+ decoders are simply dead.
But Märklin locos out of boxes with a blue line are candidates for hardened oil syndrome (HOS), so maybe the decoder is not dead.
But since the decoder has no overload detection, trying too long on a loco with HOS could kill the decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Hics  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2018 10:22:37(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Thanks guys.
I will service it tonight and then I should know a little more. I will let you know.
Offline Hics  
#8 Posted : 29 March 2018 13:58:27(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
One more question. Can I put a power on engine to check is it actually working.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 29 March 2018 14:05:13(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Hics Go to Quoted Post
Can I put a power on engine to check is it actually working.
You can safely apply power to the motor after disconnecting the decoder from the motor.
Applying power to the motor while the decoder is connected might damage the decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Hics  
#10 Posted : 29 March 2018 14:15:00(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Ok. Where do I apply power to? On a picture above there are 3 cables: blue, green, black. Transformer has only two.
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 29 March 2018 14:54:05(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Ok. Where do I apply power to? On a picture above there are 3 cables: blue, green, black. Transformer has only two.

**After deconnecting the decoder ** , Apply power to the black wire side and alternatively to the green side (forward) or the blue side (reverse)
Good luck
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
H0
Offline Hics  
#12 Posted : 29 March 2018 15:25:31(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
**After deconnecting the decoder ** , Apply power to the black wire side and alternatively to the green side (forward) or the blue side (reverse)
Good luck

I will try it while servicing. Thanks
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 29 March 2018 16:31:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Given the period when this model was made, my guess would be hardened oil. You reported that the lights changeover with reverse direction and there is a little buzzing from the motor.
If you remove the core of the motor, you will be able to determine if it is the motor itself or the gears which are gummed up.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Hics  
#14 Posted : 29 March 2018 16:36:38(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Given the period when this model was made, my guess would be hardened oil. You reported that the lights changeover with reverse direction and there is a little buzzing from the motor.

I'm hoping it is just this. Not a decoder. Actually I think that loco was never used in a past.

Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 29 March 2018 17:35:58(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

I'm hoping it is just this. Not a decoder. Actually I think that loco was never used in a past.

In that case, there is a 99.9% certainty that the mechanism is locked.Wink Wink
Don't bother doing anything before ** unlocking the mechanism**.
It's simple: get yourslef a flask of lighter fluid (e.g. ZIPPO) and pour a few drops in the motor bearings and from the bottom on the gear train.
Repeat a couple of times, let it dry thoroughly.
Remove the brushes and try to turn the (geared) wheels with your finger. If they still appear locked, repeat the lighter fluid routine until it's running smoothly, albeit with a little resistance due to the gear train.
A few drops of oil in the gears, and a very small one on each side of the motor, re-install teh brushes and their springs, and you should be good to go.
Good luck
Offline Hics  
#16 Posted : 30 March 2018 14:57:20(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Hi. I didn't have time yesterday to service it but I tried to spin the wheels. They don't move at all. Soo it is looking good. I might find some time tonight for a service.
Offline Hics  
#17 Posted : 31 March 2018 00:38:25(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
3331 srodek 1.JPGHehey. I'm proudly to announce it works!!
Engine wheels where stuck. Also another axle was hardly spining. I cleaned engine, put few drops of oil here and there and it flies!!
Only one thing. On a picture electornic in red circle is disconnected from the engine. I mean it is connected but only by touch. I'm expecting new soldering iron so I couldn't solder it? What is it for?
Thanks
Offline jvuye  
#18 Posted : 31 March 2018 17:01:43(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
3331 srodek 1.JPGHehey. I'm proudly to announce it works!!
Engine wheels where stuck. Also another axle was hardly spining. I cleaned engine, put few drops of oil here and there and it flies!!
Only one thing. On a picture electornic in red circle is disconnected from the engine. I mean it is connected but only by touch. I'm expecting new soldering iron so I couldn't solder it? What is it for?
Thanks

Good job.
Don't worry about that component ! It's a small capacitor that was fitted as an interference suppressor.
In the days of cable or satellite TV, WiFi and digital TV and radio they are no longer really needed.
Enjoy the lok!
Cheers
Jacques