Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2018 21:55:58(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I wiring up 3 warm white 3mm LED's for the front lights on my BR81 and I have them wired in series. I originally started with a 1K resistor and the light worked fine but were very bright and too bright to look realistic to my taste. So I connected a 25K potentiometer in series with the LED's and turned it to add resistance until I thought the light looked correct. I disconnected the potentiometer making sure not to turn it and measured the resistance and it was approximately 17K. Unsure

If I use a 18K resistor (closest value) will it cause any issues with the decoder or other problems I may have overlooked?

Thanks, Chuck
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2018 21:59:39(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
For my BR 81 I will use 47kΩ resistor
Costas
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2018 22:00:25(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
If I use a 18K resistor (closest value) will it cause any issues with the decoder or other problems I may have overlooked?
When I replace yellow LEDs with white LEDs in a Märklin Hobby loco with a dumb decoder then I usually add 10 kOhm in series with the 5k6 the loco already has.
I also tried adding 15k and 20k and it always was bright enough - with a total of 20k6 or 25k6.

For smart decoders I do not add resistors (keeping the factory-installed 5k6) and dim the light in the decoder.

So if you use 10k or 15 then you can still dim the lights in the decoder - assuming the decoder is not dumb like a 60760.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage